• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Self Edge SF/NY/LA/PDX/MX - Japanese Denim & Leather, Top Notch Basics, Very Nice Jewelry + Eyewear, & More

xchen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
WilliamTell,

BiG in Soho has the exclusive rights to sell those brands in the US, just like SE has the exclusive rights to sell other brands, such as the Flat Head.

PG2G

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure kiya has hinted that another brand or two were coming, but like xchen said... its not gonna be one of the ones you suggested.

Its unfortunate, but it is what it is. At least we have all of these brands available in the states, and accessible to everyone via mail order.

kiya

Brand Representative
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Originally Posted by xchen
WilliamTell,

BiG in Soho has the exclusive rights to sell those brands in the US, just like SE has the exclusive rights to sell other brands, such as the Flat Head.

This is correct.. Just like we have exclusives on Flat Head, RJB, Iron Heart, Triple Works, and Dry Bones.
We are adding another brand at the end of this year.. but in honesty, we're not ones to add brands just to have a longer list of logos on our site, if we feel it doesn't offer our customer something different, we don't feel there's a need to bring the product into the country.

Munchy

Reaction score
Hey, I just have an ignorant type question...

Why do people buy Imperial, Flat Head, Iron Heart, etc... as opposed to A.P.C., Nudies, Dior, and I guess some of the more mainstream stuff?

Is there a big difference in the denim quality that make them much more expensive or is it just the fact that they're almost one-off productions to a point?

I surf the Self Edge website and see the many options you have and the quality in the workmanship but can I justify paying $300 for a pair of IH's or whichever as opposed to picking up some Dior's which is obviously a HUGE name?

Like I said, I'm a bit ignorant as I'm new to raw denim (just ordered my first pair of A.P.C.'s) and I obviously won't get a solid answer by searching the forums so I appreciate your answer.

I'm still confused with other brands you don't carry, like why Samurai is so popular and other makes like Eternal, etc... All these codes and stuff too :O

Thanks in advance!

PG2G

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Probably not the best place for that question. Either way, most of those brands are popular because of how they fade over time. Take a look at the post pics of denim thread (or even better, the evolution of jeans thread at sufu) and the difference should be fairly obvious http://supertalk.superfuture.com/showthread.php?t=3526 http://styleforum.net/showthread.php?t=11022 That said, Dior and Nudie aren't cheap compared to the stuff SE stocks. Dior is more expensive than pretty much anything SE carries (with the exception of collaborations), and Nudie is pretty much in line (for their selvage models).

Munchy

Reaction score
Sorry, I was mainly focusing the question on kiya, that's why I asked it here (not that I don't want others to answer, just a reason to post here as opposed to making a new thread and getting 100% flamed lol)

kiya

Brand Representative
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Munchy
Sorry, I was mainly focusing the question on kiya, that's why I asked it here (not that I don't want others to answer, just a reason to post here as opposed to making a new thread and getting 100% flamed lol)

To be totally honest PG2G answered that question exactly how i would have, or most anybody with quite a bit of experience with this type of denim.
The main focus being "how the product ages" is quite different..
And PG2G is very accurate with his approximation of the prices..

kiya

Brand Representative
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Flat Head Summer Chambray, Sawtooth Shirts, Japan Tees, and Rings
The ever so popular chambray shirts are now available in short sleeve in Navy. Also in are some of the nicest denim shirts we've had in here since we opened, the Flat Head Sawtooth Shirts made of 12oz one-wash selvedge denim.

We also got our hands on a few of the limited run Japan Embroidered T-Shirts made of a heavy knit.
Restocks of the feather sterling silver rings and multi-key hooks are also in.

Photos, specs, etc:
http://www.selfedge.com/shop/index.p...index&cPath=68

IMG_0576-1-762849.jpg

IMG_0579-1-762885.jpg

IMG_0582-1-712806.jpg

IMG_0583-759690.JPG

DSC01412-789365-746368-712836.JPG

DSC01414-721385-746435-759578.JPG

John Stevenson

Reaction score
I know I'll probably get flamed for saying this, but I'm not really feeling that shirt. Looks like Ed Hardy or something...

kiya

Brand Representative
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Originally Posted by John Stevenson
I know I'll probably get flamed for saying this, but I'm not really feeling that shirt. Looks like Ed Hardy or something...

Strangely enough, Ed is friends with the owners of almost ALL the Japanese denim companies that we talk about here including a bunch of the lesser known brands that aren't distributed outside of Japan..

Edit: Those Japan tees are repros of tees from the 40's... Not EH related at all.

KennyGhetzoff

Reaction score
Originally Posted by kiya
Strangely enough, Ed is friends with the owners of almost ALL the Japanese denim companies that we talk about here including a bunch of the lesser known brands that aren't distributed outside of Japan..

Edit: Those Japan tees are repros of tees from the 40's... Not EH related at all.

I like the front, the back is a bit much for me.... but all FH stuff is kinda cool.

Klemins

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I actually think the emroidered tee is one of the coolest t-shirts I've seen in awhile (and I'm not a fan of ed hardy). However, I just ordered the SC half pleat shirt so I may wait a bit. Also, Kiya, sorry if it's been asked, but when are the Flat Head summer S/S buttondowns coming in? Thanks

kiya

Brand Representative
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Klemins
I actually think the emroidered tee is one of the coolest t-shirts I've seen in awhile (and I'm not a fan of ed hardy). However, I just ordered the SC half pleat shirt so I may wait a bit. Also, Kiya, sorry if it's been asked, but when are the Flat Head summer S/S buttondowns coming in? Thanks

The S/S button downs have been coming in right now.. we just got the navy chambray a few days ago.. we're getting another color next week...

aaronxxx

Reaction score
Originally Posted by John Stevenson

what you really meant to say is that ed hardy's work looks like the design on that shirt. maybe if you knew anything about ed hardy beyond what the douchebag known as christian audigier produces, you would know that already. i can't fault you for that though.

davo10375

Reaction score
am praying to god the grim tims i just ordered fit nicely; according to your store policies length can shrink up to 3 inches when washed but according to the nudie grim tim page around .75 inches? Also, can i manually stretch out the length/waist at all upon recieving them?

overly excited as probably its easy to tell

Oh and finally, how long would you estimate shipping to Australia to take?

thanks heaps,
dave

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads