• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Are shirts with no pockets acceptable as work shirts?

Golf_Nerd

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Quirk
Ah true enough -- I was thrown because a few people were suggesting the reverse, though I guess most of them were more or less expressing personal standards, rather than some sort of general standard.

Yes, no problem.

My MTM shirts are without pocket. Prior RTW shirt had pockets. I don't liked it because the seam of the pocket was collecting dirt.

Now, with wearing a suit all day long, nobody sees the missing pocket, because the jacket is closed at work. MY friends are not interessted in the difference.

IMO there is no general standard expect that everbody (John Doe and his business) should feel comfortable.

sonlegoman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JoeWoah
Do you notice if other people are wearing a shirt with or without a pocket? Can you remember if the co-worker you last talked to (before this thread was on your mind) was wearing one?

Exactly my point above.

Mark from Plano

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Joseph K. Bank
Would it be illegal to conduct this type of poll outside of primary voting stations?

Proof positive that trolling isn't as easy as some make it out to be.

In most environments it doesn't really matter. Pocketless is better for a dress shirt, IMO. However, pockets are perfectly acceptable as well in most scenarios. 99.9% of people won't notice one way or another. That said, I don't wear dress shirts with pockets.

james_timothy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Carhartt, the traditional standard, plainly shows that workshirts have two pockets.

Oh, you mean -office- work. Nevermind.

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by sonlegoman
The idea that pockets require a protector or they denote something nerdy is ridiculous.
I assume this is directed to me and I would invite you to read the exchange that lead to the joke about pocket protectors. I hardly expressed the idea above. It was a response to Kasper's statement that pocket dress shirts look "more professional" than those without pockets. If that stupid statement was true, I wondered what profession would require a pocket on your shirt...

Joseph K. Bank

Reaction score
Originally Posted by gdl203
I assume this is directed to me and I would invite you to read the exchange that lead to the joke about pocket protectors. I hardly expressed the idea above. It was a response to Kasper's statement that pocket dress shirts look "more professional" than those without pockets. If that stupid statement was stupid, I wondered what profession would require a pocket on your shirt...
I don't feel that you have to use the word stupid to state your opinion. The word stupid to me is not in a professional business person's vocabulary. I do think that if a poll was conducted with all the CEOs the Fortune 500 companies that they majority would respond that they felt pockets on dress shirts are more professional looking but until Gallop or another organization conducts such a poll we are only stating our personal opinions and theories. If this is the case let's at least state them in a professional manner.

teddieriley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Why does the shirt have to be functional, i.e. capable of carrying a pen?

If you need to carry things, use your hands or stick it in your trouser pockets. Or is it the case that the shirt has a pocket and the trousers don't?

The False Prophet

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Joseph K. Bank
I do think that if a poll was conducted with all the CEOs the Fortune 500 companies that they majority would respond that they felt pockets on dress shirts are more professional looking

41gN8YXzDvL._AA280_.jpg

Exhibit A: pocketed shirt from the Donald J. Trump Signature Collection...

JLibourel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
As with many other sartorial matters of this sort, I spent most of my fairly long life oblivious to the hierarchy of pocketless vs. pocketed dress shirts. As it stands, the comparatively few custom shirts I own are pocketless (as are some of my sports shirts). Were I to get more custom shirts, they would be pocketless because, thanks to the forum culture, I now deem them more elegant. All my RTW dress shirts are pocketed. The bulk of my RTW dress shirts are the cheapo Costco BDs, which have given me most excellent service and are just fine for daily wear to the office.

Orsini

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tailor In Style
...whether a office shirt should have a pocket or not...
Assuming you are referring to a dress shirt, for a classic presentation, you would want the dress shirt to have no pockets at all. So, yes, from that point of view a dress shirt with no pocket is not only appropriate for the office, but preferred. In fact, a long sleeve white shirt with two (breast) pockets is really no longer a dress shirt at all...

Tailor In Style

Reaction score
After reading everyones opinion here and thinking some more about it, I really think dress shirts with pockets are more formal.

But dress shirts with no pockets are more 'modern' and 'youthful'....

One thing is for sure though, shirts with two pockets dont have a chance..

I made a poll... lets Vote!!

Is it alright with people that I write a short article/post on the Dress Shirt Website www.TailorInStyle.com about this topic and the results?

Let me know if there are any objections to that....

Orsini

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Thracozaag
What about pockets on brown shirts?
devil.gif

For business I only do white, light blue, ecru, and light yellow, but if it is not intended to be a dress shirt, but a sports shirt or work shirt, then pockets would be OK.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 94 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 31 11.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads