• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Are shirts with no pockets acceptable as work shirts?

Orsini

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tailor In Style
...Is it alright with people that I write a short article/post on the Dress Shirt Website www.TailorInStyle.com about this topic and the results?...
Is there any way for us (me) to get any money out of this?

Mark from Plano

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
After reading everyones opinion here and thinking some more about it, I really think dress shirts with pockets are more formal.

But dress shirts with no pockets are more 'modern' and 'youthful'....

Actually I think you have this exactly backwards. Until the 1960's or so hardly any dress shirts had pockets, so by definition this is the more traditional approach. I've seen the date on these forums when Brooks Brothers, for example, started putting pockets on some of its dress shirts and it was relatively recently (1960's or 1970's as I recall). Pockets on shirts are an appropriation from sport shirts, making them a less formal, rather than more formal addition.

If you're writing an article which says what you propose to say, I'd advise doing a bit more reading on the subject first.

EDIT: The fact that Donald Trump shirts have pockets should be considered controlling authority for exactly nothing.

Orsini

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by iroh
anyone tried this?
I have read that this works OK if done before the shirt is laundered...

Orsini

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Golf_Nerd
...the seam of the pocket was collecting dirt...
It is a real nuisance to try to get that stuff out of there!

Mark from Plano

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JLibourel
Or the Nazi!

THREAD WARNING: This thread has just been Godwinized for your protection.
wink.gif

Orsini

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
...dress shirts with pockets are more formal...
No. Opposite. The less detail, the more dressy...

trajan

Reaction score
The question in the title is different from the question in the poll. This makes things confusing. I just voted the wrong way.
laugh.gif

Orsini

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mark from Plano
Actually I think you have this exactly backwards....
Correct. Generally, the more detail a garment has, the less dressy it is considered, and vice-versa.

Orsini

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by The False Prophet
41gN8YXzDvL._AA280_.jpg
Exhibit A: pocketed shirt from the Donald J. Trump Signature Collection...

But, is he a gentleman?

Mark from Plano

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Orsini
Correct. Generally, the more detail a garment has, the less dressy it is considered, and vice-versa.

Yes, if pockets are more formal then I need to take all my tuxedo shirts to the tailor to have pockets sewn onto them.
devil.gif

Orsini

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yes, if pockets are more formal then I need to take all my tuxedo shirts to the tailor to have pockets sewn onto them.
devil.gif

Exactly!

Tailor In Style

Reaction score
Actually I think you have this exactly backwards. Until the 1960's or so hardly any dress shirts had pockets, so by definition this is the more traditional approach. I've seen the date on these forums when Brooks Brothers, for example, started putting pockets on some of its dress shirts and it was relatively recently (1960's or 1970's as I recall). Pockets on shirts are an appropriation from sport shirts, making them a less formal, rather than more formal addition.

If you're writing an article which says what you propose to say, I'd advise doing a bit more reading on the subject first.

Thanks for the information. The post/article will most likely be the objective side of this discussion (like the facts you stated above) vs. the subjective side of it. But this may very well change depending on where the thread heads...

What i was stating earlier was my personal perspective of it...

But I do appreciate the heads up!

tlmusic

Reaction score
I voted "no" to pockets on dress shirts, because I don't like the way they look on me, and they don't agree with the aesthetic I aspire to.

However, pockets don't bum me out that much, so I can accept that some people might really like them.
smile.gif

After reading everyones opinion here and thinking some more about it, I really think dress shirts with pockets are more formal.

IMHO, shirts with pockets are more casual.

But dress shirts with no pockets are more 'modern' and 'youthful'...

Actually, pockets on dress shirts are a fairly recent addition to men's fashion, first becoming prevalent in the 1960's. I know this is true, because back in the 80's I used to wear tons of shirts from thrift shops. Those shirts were probably made in the 50's and 60's and most did not have pockets. Some of them had "snap" collars and wide spread collars, though.
inlove.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads