• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • Last Day to save 20% sitewide at Kirby Allison's annual Father's Day Sale! !

Kirby Allison is one of Styleforum's original success stories, beginning long ago with Kirby;s Hanger Project. Every year, Kirby holds a Father's Day Sale featuring some of the best accessories and shoe care products in the world. Take this opportunity to get something for your father, grandfather, or yourself, at a rare 20% discount (discount taken automatically at the checkout). See if you find that perfect hanger, shoe cream, or watch case here

Enjoy

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Private jets - worth it?

stevejobs

Reaction score
If you had the money and had a choice between buying a yacht or a small private jet (a very light jet/vlj-type), which would you buy? (no, you can't afford both). I'd much rather have a jet because I'd use it all the time (as a non-pilot) rather than use a yacht maybe occasionally for my family, friends or clients.

HomerJ

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If it floats, flies, or f**ks, rent it.

If there were a gun to my head I'd go with

13020.jpg

From my current residence in the middle of the US, I could fly to CA, NY, Mexico City, Canada with that VLJ. Only state I'd take the yacht would be in FL, cruising around the Gulf or down to the Caribbean.

vc2000

Reaction score
Honestly the price of most VLJ aren't going to get you much of a boat these days...so I'm not sure we are comparing apples to apples here. A VLJ costs up to $5m-6m - the Honda jet is supposed to come in at $3m - the Premier 1 costs about $6 which probably is upper end light jet - you can get a used Citation entry jet for $3m or less. The Eclipse was supposed to cost $800 but sells for over $1m.

A yacht -(I don't have one so correct me if I am wrong) but well gee one of any size say 75-100 feet you can easily drop $10-20m or far more - you can spend less but it is hard to find much for the 3-5m range unless it is smaller and I call those boats not yacht. I looked at a 10 year old boat that was 65 ft - they wanted over $1.5m and it need updating...I could have a new Eclipse for that change...

(I didn't discuss the annual costs of either - both will have some but...that is beyond the point of this theory discussion)

I have a plane - I'm a pilot so it my toy. (Getting more expensive with fuel costs!) Actually many successful people I know have access to a plane. With security requirements today most execs fly private. Many joke that they are working on getting a boat...the plane is seen as standard issue because the boat costs more and that is more of a retirement toy.

The VLJ market is seeing a lot of new entries and perhaps the cost is going to fall - that is what they have been saying but with raw material costs I'm not sure... Adams declared bankruptcy last week - they were supposed to be a big player a mere year ago so we will see if all these VLJ get to market. The market is supposed to build a taxi like service...

It is fairly hard to use a VLJ outside of the USA if you are based in the USA - you can get one to Europe if you stop in Iceland but it really isn't worth it for the most part. You could take a commercial first class flight for a fraction of the cost in less time... Europe is a pain for novice pilots like myself...they give pros a hassle too unless they fly in and out frequently. Take a jet to South America and you probably won't come back with it - theft is high - easy pickings for drug runners.

I think a membership or fractional ownership in a larger plane would be a better idea for many people over owning a VLJ. You really have to consider what amount of time you are going to use the plane and where... Using a service like Netjets where you don't have to worry about the pilots or repairs and you can trade up or down plane size depending on the mission - I think that is a much better deal for most users...

Anyway probably more than you were looking for but...

JetBlast

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm an airplane nut so I'd go for the jet, but I can understand some of the logic behind those who would go for the yacht. There is always the option of simply flying first class to wherever it is you're going rather than taking your own jet; IMO there is no comparison to yachting for a day.

Another thing associated with owning your own aircraft is maintenance costs, yachts have the same but not as expensive as the costs of checks, parts replacement, etc. for aircraft.

JB

johnapril

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I would take the yacht if I could afford to park in Monoco or just east of Monoco.

SoCal2NYC

Fashion Hayzus
Reaction score
Having both to answer that now it is like choosing your favorite child.

imageWIS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
No idea why, but this thread reminds me of:

See the pyramids along the Nile
Watch the sunrise on a tropic isle
Just remember darlin' all the while
You belong to me

See the market place in Old Algiers
Send me photographs and souvenirs
Just remember when a dream appears
You belong to me

I'll be so alone without you
Maybe you'll be lonesome too, and blue

Fly the ocean in a silver plane
See the jungle when it's wet with rain
Just remember 'til you're home again
You belong to me

(This portion, sung by background singers,
omitted in later release)
(I'll be so alone without you
Maybe you'll be lonesome too, and blue)

Fly the ocean in a silver plane
See the jungle when it's wet with rain
Just remember 'til you're home again
You belong to me

Jon.

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I would get more enjoyment out of a yacht. I couldn't see myself flying enough to make a private jet worth it. I could see myself spending weeks at a time on a yacht though.

Beckwith

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It would be nice to have a jet to fly to my yacht. Both are incredible luxuries that come with expensive maintenance costs and you can't justify either.

Southern-Nupe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by HomerJ
You can commute in a jet. But throw sex parties on a yacht.

Work or play?

For the price of some VLJs you could get a Pershing 72
inlove.gif

Pershing_72_Yacht_001.jpg

That is freakin gorgeous....

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.