• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Dark Camelhair Colored Overcoats?

Grammaton Cleric

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thoughts on darker camelhair coats? - in the same brown, but a much darker shade. I am leaning towards the darker option but want to canvas a few more oprinions before I commission an expensive piece.

For example, something like this:

rather than the more traditional:

Cary Grant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I like the richness of dark camel hair but, in practice, I cannot recall ever seeing them "in the wild".

There was a stretch in the 1980's wear cheap camel coats and other fashion coats were made up in this color but beyond that...

It wouldn't be my first choice but if I had the other basics already in my wardrobe I'd consider it.

Eustace Tilley

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Prefer the darker one. I have one in process from the Harrisons book.

S. Magnozzi

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
What style will it be in? For a classic polo coat I'd go with the light option, but dark brown would look excellent otherwise.

Grammaton Cleric

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by S. Magnozzi
What style will it be in? For a classic polo coat I'd go with the light option, but dark brown would look excellent otherwise.

Thanks - won't be a classic polo coat. It'll be a std. DB upfront, with a pleated and belted back.

Eustace Tilley

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
To the best of my knowledge, these are the 3 shades most often available. The one of the far left is the standard camelhair. Personally, I prefer the one in the middle:

001-13.jpg

asdf

Reaction score
I like both. If you want camel, get the lighter one. I often see tones similar to the darker one called "tobacco." it's also nice.

kcc

Reaction score
My concern with the standard camel fabric is that when it sheds the fibers are visible particularly against a dark color sport coat &/or suiting. Has anyone else observed this?

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kcc
My concern with the standard camel fabric is that when it sheds the fibers are visible particularly against a dark color sport coat &/or suiting. Has anyone else observed this?

No, and my CH coat is not that expensive either.

Much prefer the light color myself. Classic. "Replacing" my ancient BB coat with bespoke this year.

Eustace Tilley

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Manton
No, and my CH coat is not that expensive either.

Much prefer the light color myself. Classic. "Replacing" my ancient BB coat with bespoke this year.

The Mystery Anderson tailor again? I assume if its the standard CH, you'll get a polo coat?

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Eustace Tilley
The Mystery Anderson tailor again? I assume if its the standard CH, you'll get a polo coat?

yes, orthodox polo coat.

Was thinking also of a covert coat. This endless winter made me think I need a light "top coat" for days when a thick coat is too much and no coat is too little. Can't decide on the color, though.

Eustace Tilley

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Was thinking also of a covert coat. This endless winter made me think I need a light "top coat" for days when a thick coat is too much and no coat is too little. Can't decide on the color, though.

Here are three options:

002-14.jpg

In my book, the Harrisons on the far left is the clear winner:

003-10.jpg

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
I have the swatches for 30 and 31. I think I prefer 31.

Alternative is gray but I go back and forth on that.

Eustace Tilley

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I have the swatches for 30 and 31. I think I prefer 31.

Alternative is gray but I go back and forth on that.

A gray covert? Didn't even know they made those.

I have a green covert from Minnis, which I'm still too timid to use.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Consider Sustainability When Purchasing Clothes?

• Always - Sustainability is a top priority in all my clothing purchases.

• Often - I frequently consider sustainability, but it isn't the main factor in my decisions.

• Rarely - I seldom consider sustainability when purchasing clothes.

• Never - Sustainability is not a factor I consider in my clothing choices.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chief41510