• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • Last Day to save 20% sitewide at Kirby Allison's annual Father's Day Sale! !

Kirby Allison is one of Styleforum's original success stories, beginning long ago with Kirby;s Hanger Project. Every year, Kirby holds a Father's Day Sale featuring some of the best accessories and shoe care products in the world. Take this opportunity to get something for your father, grandfather, or yourself, at a rare 20% discount (discount taken automatically at the checkout). See if you find that perfect hanger, shoe cream, or watch case here

Enjoy

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

conservative business dress WAYWRN: An Experiment

ctp120

Reaction score
Here's another combo with the same grey sportcoat from a few days ago. I can definitely still wear this outfit to work, though it reads more casual than the former ensemble for sure. I tend to wear these pants 95% of the time with spring outfits, though in cool, early-Spring weather, I'll occasionally break them out with a heavier coat if it seems to make sense. I have a similar color in flannel, but they're much more muted, and the tone has a lot less cream/yellow and moves more towards grey. This makes the flannel pair too close in color to wear with the sportcoat. Ideal solution would be to get a pair the same color as pictured but in a doe skin flannel (basically winter-white).

DSC_0850-1.jpg

zalb916

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ctp120
DSC_0850-1.jpg

I don't have as many issues with grey odd coats as others do. I think this is an example of how it can look good. Not sure if this is really conservative business dress, but I like it as a casual look.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Originally Posted by wingman
For what it's worth, I was told the same thing about a year back on the AA footwear thread- and the person who I offended actually put my photo next to another one underlined with "don't" and "do" captions. It greatly influenced my decision to curb my posts considerably. But apparently I was the only one who was defensive- everyone else thought his lecture was constructive and correct and told me to adapt...Life's funny, no??

I love how, when someone says something stupid to me, and I say "that's stupid," it makes me "defensive."

What's the next nit to be picked? I am wearing flannel today. Maybe someone could scan my suit with an electron microscope and tell me if the nap is all oriented in the same direction.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ctp120
Here's another combo with the same grey sportcoat from a few days ago. I can definitely still wear this outfit to work, though it reads more casual than the former ensemble for sure. I tend to wear these pants 95% of the time with spring outfits, though in cool, early-Spring weather, I'll occasionally break them out with a heavier coat if it seems to make sense. I have a similar color in flannel, but they're much more muted, and the tone has a lot less cream/yellow and moves more towards grey. This makes the flannel pair too close in color to wear with the sportcoat. Ideal solution would be to get a pair the same color as pictured but in a doe skin flannel (basically winter-white).

DSC_0850-1.jpg

Coat looks too small.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Aside from being too short, overall and in the sleeves, it loosk like if you buttoned it, it would pull badly at the waist.

ctp120

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Manton
Aside from being too short, overall and in the sleeves. it loosk like if you buttoned it, it would pull badly at the waist.
Hmm. Definitely doesn't pull at the waist. As roomy as any I own actually--pic from the other day below, cited in reference to your point about buttoning it. Don't get the sleeve length comment either. I am starting to question overall length myself, so that doesn't surprise me. Thanks for the feedback.
DSC_0857.jpg

UnFacconable

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Manton
Yes.

Seriously, I have seen some ridiculous nits picked on Style Forum, but shoe knots?

I sail so I know how to tie a small variety of basic knots but I have never known that there was a "correct" one for tying one's shoes and that mine is "wrong."

This is like the time some ass criticized me for an "off center tie dimple." Well, OK. You got me.

Surprised by all the responses. My goal was not to cause any controversy or to make anyone question their ability to get dressed in the morning. The simplest fix, for anyone interested, is to reverse the first crossover point when tying your shoelaces, before making the initial knot. If you start with right over left, do left over right, and vice versa. Continue as before for the rest of the process and instead of tying granny knots you'll have a square knot that will look normal and not come undone as easily.

It takes about a week or two before this becomes second nature. Or so I've heard ...

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
There is nothing to "fix."

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Redwoood
There, there, Manton.
Denial is the first step on the path to recovery.

Are you people really serious?

This is ridiculous. Sorry, maybe I am in a bad mood, but I understand matt and foo's complaints better when I read crap like this.

Then again, if this is all you can find to ***** about I must be doing something right.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
michael13