• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Can you dance hip-hop in a suit while still looking casual?

Reaction score
I have a few colleagues who are a bit more socially urban than I perceive myself as being including a very nice EA who is a big hip-hop head. They routinely go out after work on Fridays for a local happy hour at a venue that has a dance floor which they told me they tear up. I imagine they all go in their work clothes but they all dress much more casually than I do. Anyway, she asked me if I would like to go with them this Friday and I said yes and am really excited about the possibility of getting to know her outside of work. Am am wondering if I should change out of my work clothes (suit and tie) before going or perhaps when there just loosen my tie and take my jacket off? I am nervous that when we hit the dance floor that I might look a little too buttoned up for the style of dancing. Any suggestions?

w.o.e.is.me.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
oh boy.
since this appears to be a serious inquiry...

it's not that big a deal.
take your jacket and tie off, and have a good time.
most guys don't "dance hip hop" these days anyway.
as long as you can do a 2-step to the rhythm (i realize that this is difficult for some), you'll be fine.

if you're going to be on the dance floor, and really have concerns, try not to do anything 'fancy'.

austerlitz

Reaction score
+1 on the 2 step
eh.gif

XKxRome0ox

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i do it all the time at wedding receptions
and i go all out
but then again, i'm surrounded by people wearing suits in such a setting so it isn't weird at all

whether you can pull off dancing in your suit is all about your style and swagger

Viral

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by 901 south street
I have a few colleagues who are a bit more socially urban than I perceive myself as being including a very nice EA who is a big hip-hop head. They routinely go out after work on Fridays for a local happy hour at a venue that has a dance floor which they told me they tear up. I imagine they all go in their work clothes but they all dress much more casually than I do. Anyway, she asked me if I would like to go with them this Friday and I said yes and am really excited about the possibility of getting to know her outside of work. Am am wondering if I should change out of my work clothes (suit and tie) before going or perhaps when there just loosen my tie and take my jacket off? I am nervous that when we hit the dance floor that I might look a little too buttoned up for the style of dancing. Any suggestions?

what is your interest in hip hop music or culture? If you truly enjoy the music and culture you'll be fine - especially if your colleagues are "hip hop heads" as you say. If they are, then "game recognize game" will take care of everything. Don't sweat it.....

Now, if you are clueless about hip hop, can't dance, try too hard to impress ol' girl, and - god forbid - drop an N-bomb after a few drinks...........YOU'RE FUCKED.

bounce2.gif

w.o.e.is.me.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
learn this and you should be set.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later. I AGREE

TIP: to embed Youtube clips, put only the encoded part of the Youtube URL, e.g. eBGIQ7ZuuiU between the tags.​

Reaction score
Thanks for the kind suggestions. I really don't have many dance moves that I'm comfortable with but thought I would just try to settle at the edge of the dance floor or by a column if their is one and do the Lean Back or something else that doesn't require that much rhythm or dexterity.

k4lnamja

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SpooPoker
Ive tried to do the Roger Rabbit in my Tom Ford, but I find that its easier to do the Running Man in my Rubinacci.
That's my boy!

tphd

Reaction score
IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later. I AGREE

TIP: to embed Youtube clips, put only the encoded part of the Youtube URL, e.g. eBGIQ7ZuuiU between the tags.

Don't need no pizza. They got food there

Featured Sponsor

Do You Consider Sustainability When Purchasing Clothes?

• Always - Sustainability is a top priority in all my clothing purchases.

• Often - I frequently consider sustainability, but it isn't the main factor in my decisions.

• Rarely - I seldom consider sustainability when purchasing clothes.

• Never - Sustainability is not a factor I consider in my clothing choices.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
trafficlawyer