• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • Last Day to save 20% sitewide at Kirby Allison's annual Father's Day Sale! !

Kirby Allison is one of Styleforum's original success stories, beginning long ago with Kirby;s Hanger Project. Every year, Kirby holds a Father's Day Sale featuring some of the best accessories and shoe care products in the world. Take this opportunity to get something for your father, grandfather, or yourself, at a rare 20% discount (discount taken automatically at the checkout). See if you find that perfect hanger, shoe cream, or watch case here

Enjoy

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ankle Boot Appreciation! Here are mine, show me some of yours?

skalogre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Crossposted from the RM WIlliams thread

nighttrain7404

Reaction score
Originally Posted by EL72
I bought these Canali a couple of months ago on eBay. They are very comfortable and look nice with khakis but they are NOT made by Lattanzi
laugh.gif

canalishoes1nj0.jpg

canali......ot4.jpg

I REALLY like those Canali's. Great choice!

well-kept

Reaction score
Originally Posted by MrBisco
Plus, in a 12AA, my ridiculously hard-to-find shoe size.

$25 used on ebay. For $25, scratches and wrinkles acceptable. Oh, and in my size.

I feel that the shoe Gods actually favor you guys with unusual sizes. While there may be less availability there's also less competition.

A few years ago I passed up a pair of brand new EGs in size 13A which sat in a thrift shop for months. Five dollars, no takers. On eBay the 14AAAs go begging.

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Get Smart
ok here are some other pics....closeup of toebox and brogueing, the last shape, etc.
pschukkacc0.jpg

Ideally the heel taps are embedded. This is not so important for the toe taps, although it looks nicer. By the way, I prefer metal taps, but this is really a nuance and question of personal favour. If, he is really a Old eastern school cobbler, he will be able to manage that. On the other hand, I have some anecdotes about these people around.
musicboohoo[1].gif

mr monty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
bor111.JPG

Nice price, they also fit and look good .

Shoe-nut

Reaction score
Originally Posted by neyus
Shoenut do you put shoe trees in your boots.

I love your shoes, but it pains me to see the wrinkles in them.

Are the wrinkles deliberate?

Yes, I do use shoe trees but I bought these used and so take the consequences of those who don't use them + the ravages of time. But would mention that the black pair of shoes are Kangaroo Leather and that is the way it looks as it is a very soft and thin leather. Actually it also is quite strong as compared to cowhide unfortunately Kangaroo Leather can't be imported anymore into the states.

Shoe-nut

Reaction score
Originally Posted by mack11211
Those Edwin Clapps above live on in the Madison made by Stacy Adams. The cap toe, the narrow waist, the way they take polish so well. I imagine the leather and construction are inferior, as they retail for USD 110, but at least one can still buy the style. I know SA gets a lot of grief on this board, but the virtue of this model is that they just never stopped making them.

http://www.stacyadams.com/shopsa/cla...-02/index.html

I have seen many a pair of those Stacy Adams Madison Shoes of which you mention. In my estimation they are nowhere near the quality and not even worth the asking price. This was not always true as SA from the 40's and 50's was a quality shoe. I have an older pair SA that would easily pass muster as far build quality is concerned.

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Shoe-nut
Yes, I do use shoe trees but I bought these used and so take the consequences of those who don't use them + the ravages of time. But would mention that the black pair of shoes are Kangaroo Leather and that is the way it looks as it is a very soft and thin leather. Actually it also is quite strong as compared to cowhide unfortunately Kangaroo Leather can't be imported anymore into the states.
What is this about kangaroo leather imports? Do you mean just the hides or the products? I know many soccer shoes and motorcycle gloves are still available that are made of kangaroo.

VMan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Scored a pair of vintage Allen Edmonds 'York' brown dual-zip ankle boots on Ebay about two weeks ago, for a really great price. Wore them for the first time today. Quality is really nice. I sold a burgundy pair on the forum a few months back that was unfortunately too small for me, and have been searching for a pair in my size ever since. I lucked out and grabbed a pair for the $20 BIN price.
thumbs-up.gif

skalogre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Shoe-nut

Reaction score
Originally Posted by j
What is this about kangaroo leather imports? Do you mean just the hides or the products? I know many soccer shoes and motorcycle gloves are still available that are made of kangaroo.

Obviously, the situation must have changed as I was thinking with a 20 years ago mentality. In any case whatever the law is now this is a leather that is not commonly used for shoes.

There was a time 1930's specifically when Kangaroo Dress Shoes were offered in Sears and Montgomery Ward Catalogs and many stores too I'm sure. I doubt if you would find them now in your average everyday store today.

It used to be a selling point as the inside of the shoe would be marked with the words Genuine Kangaroo. If I remember right, you also had to pay a premium for any shoe done in K. as opposed to regular leather.

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Yeah, kangaroo is still more expensive than cowhide where the two options are offered (soccer shoes for one). However, I wonder if the lack of roo dress shoes is more due to the creasing that the leather takes on, which most people wouldn't find attractive.

Shoe-nut

Reaction score
Originally Posted by j
Yeah, kangaroo is still more expensive than cowhide where the two options are offered (soccer shoes for one). However, I wonder if the lack of roo dress shoes is more due to the creasing that the leather takes on, which most people wouldn't find attractive.

I don't know if I can follow your reasoning. After all, Quill Ostrich Leather has bumps all over it and it doesn't stop those who want it from buying. There are a number of reptile skins that display an irregular surface but that in no way seems to detract from their desirability.

I have owned a number of pair of Kangaroo Leather shoes and have never received a negative comment regarding its surface condition. It is in the nature of certain leathers to have unique properties and so therefore may I deduce that one mans meat may be another mans poison.
plain.gif

well-kept

Reaction score
I love the way kangaroo looks over time. Four pair of old Lobb and one new RM Williams. Beautiful.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
elizabetgonzale