• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Do you plan on/do you live a conventional life?

Canal Directo

Reaction score
Originally Posted by ektaylor
Not really. Most people party more than they study and end up in some terrible position (i.e., married with kids and working some insurance salesman job) by age 30. Ignore females in favor of your GPA. Law schools don't give a **** who you've slept with (the good ones anyway).

facepalm.gif
facepalm.gif
facepalm.gif

Superfluous Man

Reaction score
Not really. Most people party more than they study and end up in some terrible position (i.e., married with kids and working some insurance salesman job) by age 30. Ignore females in favor of your GPA. Law schools don't give a **** who you've slept with (the good ones anyway).

I'd rather have an insurance salesmans salary and free time than spend my life living in an office in an attempt to make partner. What good is money if you have no time to enjoy it? By the time you're wealthy enough to retire you'll be too ******* old to have fun.

Flambeur

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ignore females in favor of your GPA. Law schools don't give a **** who you've slept with (the good ones anyway).
slave away in school so that you can get accepted into a good law school slave away in law school so that you can get a biglaw position slave away in biglaw so that you can ..... ??? Good plan, good plan. ...and I actually like school and work...

ektaylor

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Flambeur
slave away in school so that you can get accepted into a good law school
slave away in law school so that you can get a biglaw position
slave away in biglaw so that you can ..... ???

Good plan, good plan.

...and I actually like school and work...

I never said anything about big law. Just law school. My point is, don't let your tuition go to waste. That may be unconventional thought, but I guess I just live an unconventional life. Slaving away.

My point is not to ignore pleasure, life, fulfillment but rather to make sure you can enjoy those things through stability--emotional, fiscal, social, or otherwise. Do you really think the lowly cubical dweller is happier than the 80 hour-a-week high-powered whateverthefuck. Maybe. But, at least the latter can afford to travel, eat well, pay for their child's college fees, health care, et cetera.

odoreater

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I was, but I guess I stepped off that path. I followed the exact path that you described, and was work for a big law firm getting paid a lot of money. Had lots of security Then I left and started my own law firm to practice criminal defense law. I make a lot less money (though the firm is growing). Recently I got involved in the film industry as an executive producer and legal adviser. I will be working on more film projects in the future too. So, my life was conventional, but I guess it's not.

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
What is with all of these silly arguments and false dichotomies being made?

There are more options than just 40hr cube dweller and 80+ slave.

While I am not in the slave ****** off until I retire camp...It is silly to think that older people can't have fun with their $$$. People are living a lot longer and if you do it right and retire reasonably early, I could see a lot of fun being had.

That being said...I have to +1 metro's response. I haven't really had any major struggles and things just sort of fell into place along the conventional path so I had no reason to veer from it.

gladhands

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by otc

While I am not in the slave ****** off until I retire camp...It is silly to think that older people can't have fun with their $$$. People are living a lot longer and if you do it right and retire reasonably early, I could see a lot of fun being had.

You're being sensible. By "have fun" they mean boan as many chix and party as much as possible. Unfortunately, most men settle down before they're affluent, and aren't allwed to party and boan anymore.

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gladhands
You're being sensible. By "have fun" they mean boan as many chix and party as much as possible. Unfortunately, most men settle down before they're affluent, and aren't allwed to party and boan anymore.

Eh...it seems to me that the soul-sellers still have time for the boning and partying (why do you think ibankers have the coke-addict reputation?)...just not the other stuff like long vacations which retired people love.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Originally Posted by shellshock
the OP made it seem like a choice to grow up in a good family, etc. as far as choosing to live a "normal life", life is unexpected. you can try to plan things but sometimes stuff is out of your control.

Yeah, that's what I thought too. If I had gotten to plan my parents, they would have been totally different.

fwiffo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Why is everyone slagging on the insurance profession?

Milpool

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Dakota rube
A word from the old guy:

Just when you think you've got things on some sort of track, something's going to pop up and send you back to the drawing board. Enjoy every day for what it is, and don't get all hung up on ****.

You have no idea how happy this makes me. I have worked very hard and it got my life on a track straight to **** and I anxiously await something that reroutes me towards a decent life.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Originally Posted by fwiffo
Why is everyone slagging on the insurance profession?

Just spent a few days with a really great guy that is a high level insurance guy. He bought me some great wine, great Scotch, and is a likable and funny guy. He plans to take me golfing soon.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Consider Sustainability When Purchasing Clothes?

• Always - Sustainability is a top priority in all my clothing purchases.

• Often - I frequently consider sustainability, but it isn't the main factor in my decisions.

• Rarely - I seldom consider sustainability when purchasing clothes.

• Never - Sustainability is not a factor I consider in my clothing choices.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ziopioyer