• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • Last Day to save 20% sitewide at Kirby Allison's annual Father's Day Sale! !

Kirby Allison is one of Styleforum's original success stories, beginning long ago with Kirby;s Hanger Project. Every year, Kirby holds a Father's Day Sale featuring some of the best accessories and shoe care products in the world. Take this opportunity to get something for your father, grandfather, or yourself, at a rare 20% discount (discount taken automatically at the checkout). See if you find that perfect hanger, shoe cream, or watch case here

Enjoy

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Dress the Foo for his 10th school reunion!

IndianBoyz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
mafoosj.jpg

Close thread.

Bull

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
One thing I found very interesting about the DC prep aesthetic is that you could spot the kids who spent summers in Europe from a mile away.

So, as I stated, the customary DC douchebag uniform (you see this guy at Chaddie's, the Tombs, and all the other Georgetown haunts) is topsiders, short/rumpled khakis, BB OCBD, and a somewhat ill-fitting PRL or Press blazer with gold buttons. If PRL, it was acquired from the Polo store on M Street at full price using daddy's Amex. If it's Press, it was a gift from an uncle.

But the kids who summered in Europe - especially France and Italy - learned what it means to add a dose of sexy to the preppy. So, swap out the topsiders for some killer handmade loafers or double monks. Swap out the khakis for some dark denim, just short enough to expose the shoe. Slim down the OCBD. The PRL blazer gets swapped out for patch pocket navy Kiton blazer with horn buttons. And what you have is a really, really great look that's faithful to the preppy aesthetic but still looks sharp in Paris.

Sid Mashburn is basically minting money off of this concept in Atlanta, and my guess is that he opens a DC shop in 2 to 3 years. Smart man.

Bull

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mafoofan
With jeans? Andre said this worked for him. I wonder if I could pull it off.

Of course you could. No magic to it. Btw, the shoes in the pic with the jeans and the Barbour...what are those? Way, way better than Oneshoe. Just saying.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Bull
Of course you could. No magic to it. Btw, the shoes in the pic with the jeans and the Barbour...what are those? Way, way better than Oneshoe. Just saying.
Lobb 2005s, I think. Of course they're better than the OneShoe. But I like the OneShoe more.

IndianBoyz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Foo don't need to worry though. According to me there's plenty of choice for the man.

lh15.jpg

This would work. No tie, maybe a scarf.

Bull

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by IndianBoyz
Foo don't need to worry though. According to me there's plenty of choice for the man.

lh15.jpg

This would work. No tie, maybe a scarf.

Foo has an uncanny ability to look absurdly short in photographs.

In the Barbour pic, he might as well be 5'10".

But in pics like this, he looks 3 apples high with socks on.

Soph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by voxsartoria
Subtle good taste is a hallmark of Norman nobility in exile.

- B

Norman lineage is even less prestigious than a Manchurian one. Go Ming or go home.

JamesX

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My Uncle is Manchurian Nobility. Trust me, Good Taste is not their Hallmark
frown.gif

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JamesX
My Uncle is Manchurian Nobility. Trust me, Good Taste is not their Hallmark
frown.gif

All I know is that some Dutch dude had his way with someone on my mother's side a few generations back. Is that prestigious or John Lobb prestigious?

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Na1374