• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • Last Day to save 20% sitewide at Kirby Allison's annual Father's Day Sale! !

Kirby Allison is one of Styleforum's original success stories, beginning long ago with Kirby;s Hanger Project. Every year, Kirby holds a Father's Day Sale featuring some of the best accessories and shoe care products in the world. Take this opportunity to get something for your father, grandfather, or yourself, at a rare 20% discount (discount taken automatically at the checkout). See if you find that perfect hanger, shoe cream, or watch case here

Enjoy

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

For basic clothing, what defines a good fit?

dunelly

Reaction score
one thing i realize is low rise jeans looks terrible for people with skinny build.

stretches the body to be too long and makes the thighs too short and skinny
medium rise 10.5 and above looks much better
i can wear slim pants with med to high rise, but low rise = feminine look

shirts must be fitted through shoulders,neck and biceps. baggy sleeves are the worst

Cool The Kid

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Uncontrol
i find med-high rise is more feminine tbh as it accentuates the hips and ass more not complaining, just saying
If you're a man with any kind of butt, there's not much you can do But low rise is a definite no go for dudes... with shape (?????)

DLester

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Cool The Kid
what is wrong with the cuts of shirts from somewhere like JCPenney?

most mass market clothes are designed to be worn by the widest range of body types possible. so a medium at jc penny will "fit" people with a substantial weight and height range.

If you are particular about where the shoulder is on a shirt, or how slim the chest and arms are, or how high the armholes are (as you should be), this will not work for you.

There are inexpensive brands that create clothes for slimmer people, and those are much better options for limited budgets.

Originally Posted by Uncontrol
i find med-high rise is more feminine tbh as it accentuates the hips and ass more

not complaining, just saying

yes, not flattering.

dunelly

Reaction score
i think a looser medium rise is best for skinny guys low rise just makes the torso so long and thin vs giving it a more boxy shape i dont have massive hips though and i like a fuller cut i prefer
bigsteve.jpg
over
spl38059-004.jpg
both are arguably good fits, but i prefer the 1st over the 2nd

robbie

Pleading Poverty
Reaction score
good fit is open to interpretation

bad fit is universal

if you understand what a bad fit looks like you can take steps to prevent a bad fit, much of it has to do with how much charisma you have; and owning your fit, even if its sub-par.

Robert

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I wore what I thought were bad-fitting 501s (they'd shrunk too much) the other night and my date pinched my butt. So go figure.

A Fellow Linguist

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dunelly
i think a looser medium rise is best for skinny guys low rise just makes the torso so long and thin vs giving it a more boxy shape
As a skinny guy, when I think of words I would want applied to my torso boxy is near the top of my list. (10)

Eason

Bicurious Racist
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dunelly
one thing i realize is low rise jeans looks terrible for people with skinny build.

stretches the body to be too long and makes the thighs too short and skinny
medium rise 10.5 and above looks much better
i can wear slim pants with med to high rise, but low rise = feminine look

shirts must be fitted through shoulders,neck and biceps. baggy sleeves are the worst

I like how people on whom certain clothes look terrible on will generalize that nobody should ever wear those clothes, because they can't.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sdrterds