• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How often will you do re-sole for your leather-sole shoes?

mfcboy

Reaction score
This is what I received yesterday:
4582761583_3ff5a96551_o.jpg

This is what It looks like now after first day wearing(a little bit rain outside though, but barely walk, less than 100 meters outside):
4605874438_8e9c39a0eb_b.jpg

It seems the leather sole is wearing pretty quick, I am wondering how often you guys will do the re-sole for your shoes?

cptjeff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
They wear a lot faster if you wear them in the rain.

As for how long, it depends on how often you wear them (see: 30 shoe rotations), what kind of use you put them through (some guys walk a mile to work, some walk to their cars), and the condition of the surface you're walking on.

If you don't wear them in the rain except for the occasional getting caught in a storm, a sole should last you for a few years.

Oleg

Reaction score
I either I have fewer shoes or I must be walking further that you, cptj. Seem to need mine done annually.

cptjeff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Or you have a heavier or different stride. I have to get heels done twice as often as soles.

But I would guess walking further on rougher surfaces. I don't tend to do a lot of walking on a day to day basis, I'm afraid.

The answer really is "It depends". But if they're not lasting at least a year, you're doing something wrong.

mfcboy

Reaction score
Sorry, Guys, forgive me this is my first time to wear leather-sole shoes, it seems the leather sole looks worse than I expect
smile.gif

The reason I wore this shoes in rainy day is because I heard goodyear welted should be waterproofed...
It turned into it may be waterproofed on upper part, but nightmare on outsole...

Oleg

Reaction score
Originally Posted by cptjeff
Or you have a heavier or different stride. I have to get heels done twice as often as soles.

But I would guess walking further on rougher surfaces. I don't tend to do a lot of walking on a day to day basis, I'm afraid.

The answer really is "It depends". But if they're not lasting at least a year, you're doing something wrong.

I must be. Seem to mangle heals quickly (and unevenly - ankle roll) as well. Not particularly heavy for my 5 ft 10 height. Maybe I just need more shoes: I'll tell the wife I need to spend more money tonight!

IBJanky

Reaction score
Hopefully I never have to resole the original leather soles. I'm starting the process of getting all my leather soled shoes Topied
smile.gif
myke ps. Those Ferragamo Renzos are lighter than mine. My pair is a dark dark brown.

bowtielover

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I can't say that I haev ever done this, I like when my soles go out, it gives me an excuse to go shoe shopping.

Chips

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've jumped in to practically every thread that talks about re-soleing shoes or wether or not to Topy them, etc...

I would argue that the more shoes you own, the less the argument against Topying matters. Many rightfully say that in order for the new Topy's to be placed, a good deal of the sole must be sanded down in order for it to adhere properly, in the end, speeding up the destruction of the sole. But it doesn't seem to matter as much when you have several pairs in rotation. And the fact that I Topy primarily for the non-slip benefits makes the point a little moot.

Anyone else agree?

holymadness

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
WTF is this collection of old wives' tales? Some mythbusting:

1. Applying topys requires zero wear as the cobbler will just sand the sole down a bit to create an adhesive surface. This does not shorten the life of the sole.

2. Heels always go before soles and topys cannot change that.

3. Goodyear welting has nothing to do with waterproofing. Leather is never waterproof.

4. Resoling once a year is excessive unless you're wearing the shoes 3-5 times a week, including in the rain, and walking a LOT. I have a beater pair that I have absolutely destroyed under the rain, on gravel, etc. that I still haven't had to resole after 1.5 years, and they don't even have a topy.

GuidoWongolini

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

ajv

Reaction score
Couldn't really participate in you poll.

Cause I do have my shoes resoled when they need it, i.e. when there is a hole that appears or is about to appear.
I do not understand why one would resole on a regular time basis, without taking into account the amount of wear.

Adrian

P.S. : to holymadness, the goodyear welt is not waterproof, but because the walking sole is not stitched through up to the insole like for blake, there is no direct way for the moist to go up to the foot by following the thread.

DrZRM

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The wet weather may make the sole look bad, but give it some time and don't worry too much, those are likely to last through years of use without a resole (depending on how many shoes you have in rotation). It looks worse than it actually is...that's what shoe soles look like eventually, wearing them in the rain just hastened that process.

Originally Posted by mfcboy
Sorry, Guys, forgive me this is my first time to wear leather-sole shoes, it seems the leather sole looks worse than I expect
smile.gif

The reason I wore this shoes in rainy day is because I heard goodyear welted should be waterproofed...
It turned into it may be waterproofed on upper part, but nightmare on outsole...

Mathew J

Reaction score
I have one pair now that is being redone after less than a year, cheaper florsheims but I like them....the sole started seperating from the shoe at the toe.

I wear shoes hard and crush otherwise nice shoes so I presume every year or so..hopefully longer

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
If they are possibly glued they will seperate much faster. Also, I recommend putting toe taps and heel taps on shoes. Some people don't like the look, but I just put taps on the heels and just get the taps replaced rather than then heels. Also, toe taps prevent that horrible "slope" at the toe from happening, which if it gets too severe it can wear down to the welt making the shoe come apart at the toe, or even damage the welt, making the repair much more expensive.

On a side note, I remember selling some chelsea boots to somebody who obviously was not used to leather soled shoes. He was trying to Jew me down because the soles looked to have a lot of wear on them, when in fact I only wore them twice. I tried reassuring him that leather soles are going to look that way and it is totally normal, and he is probably just not used to it. Anyway, he started threatening to come find me and beat me up and such over email and my return address was on the package so I didn't want to take chances. I was obviously dealing with somebody with much deeper issues than twice worn chelsea boots. At that point I refunded him the giant $4 price decrease he asked for. What a psycho.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Consider Sustainability When Purchasing Clothes?

• Always - Sustainability is a top priority in all my clothing purchases.

• Often - I frequently consider sustainability, but it isn't the main factor in my decisions.

• Rarely - I seldom consider sustainability when purchasing clothes.

• Never - Sustainability is not a factor I consider in my clothing choices.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jodhpur