• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • Last Day to save 20% sitewide at Kirby Allison's annual Father's Day Sale! !

Kirby Allison is one of Styleforum's original success stories, beginning long ago with Kirby;s Hanger Project. Every year, Kirby holds a Father's Day Sale featuring some of the best accessories and shoe care products in the world. Take this opportunity to get something for your father, grandfather, or yourself, at a rare 20% discount (discount taken automatically at the checkout). See if you find that perfect hanger, shoe cream, or watch case here

Enjoy

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

NJ cops are complete a**holes

whusurdadi

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My wife's brother had a boy last week, so we were driving up to New York to visit. I was falling asleep so my wife took over to let me take a nap. An hour later she wakes me up saying she's been pulled over.
The cop comes over and my wife rolls down the window. Mind you this is 5:00 in the morning so it's pitch black outside on the NJ Turnpike and both my kids are asleep in the back. He doesn't ask for license and registration...He screams for them. I was like, chill out buddy!
Anyways, my wife doesn't have her license since she wasn't planning on driving at all. So she asks why he pulled her over. He says that she's been in the left lane and he's been following her for 8 miles. My wife gets this look on her face and asks the obvious , "and therefore...". apparently it's illegal to ride in the left lane in NJ. It's only for passing and then you immediately have to move right. So he gives her a $140 ticket for it. But...since she doesn't have her license, he pulls her up on his computer database. And the moron copies her drivers license number down wrong.
So moral of the story, stay left and wear ear plugs if a NJ cop pulls you over.

**waiting for odoreater to weigh in **

Gravitas

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
YDI for being in the left lane. Seriously, the idea is so simple that I don't see why it wouldn't be followed were it not law. In PA the law is that you may be in the left lane for a maximum of two miles. People sitting in the left lane cause congestion, little pisses me off more when driving than people who can't pass. In addition, it can be quite dangerous being forced to pass on the right.

But yes, I must agree that the NJ cops I have dealt with were very rude (not to mention unprofessional, making overt sexual comments about minors).

whusurdadi

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Gravitas
YDI for being in the left lane. Seriously, the idea is so simple that I don't see why it wouldn't be followed were it not law. In PA the law is that you may be in the left lane for a maximum of two miles. People sitting in the left lane cause congestion, little pisses me off more when driving than people who can't pass. In addition, it can be quite dangerous being forced to pass on the right.

my wife was going 85 MPH and the turnpike was completely empty = no congestion.

Gravitas

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Isn't the speed limit 65? The congestion is irrelevant in your case, I was just stating that the law makes plenty of sense.

Douglas

Stupid ass member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
NJ cops are pricks. I concur.

LawrenceMD

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
just grin and be totally respectful. i never have gotten a ticket and when I was pulled over in NJ off the turnpike (for doing 80mph) I was pretty sure I was due for my first traffic violation in 16 years of driving.

I just said "gosh I didn't realize I was going that fast.. I'm so sorry officer" I explained that I just got back from Arizona (with the 75mph speed limit which is Aweeesome) and I was used to driving around at that speed. He checked my license and then just let me go. In fairness to the OP the Police was very Loud and had an Assholish vibe, but he was the "one of the good ones" after letting me go...

Driving from phoenix to the grand canyon and back really taught me the virtues of the left lane only for passing rule. Plus it angered me why they just dont raise the speed limit on the major freeways to 75mph. That way everyone does 80mph and moves along nice and quick and orderly-without fear from the pigs.

police seem to like it when you just submit and be respectful and remorseful. no sense in being a wise ass when he has every advantage and reason to give a ticket (validated or not).

underwearer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I wish they had that law here in VA. I hate passing trucks on thier right because nobody knows what a passing lane is. IMO, the cop wasn't out of line. Sounds like a State Trooper and they are all hardasses like MPs they train them to be dicks because being a dick gives one the upper hand/control. My Grandfather was a cop in Jersey (Patterson)for 20 years back in the 50s so Im biased.

Johnny_5

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wow, I wish more people were ticketed in NJ for driving in the left lane. Every day when I'm driving to work there is always someone driving below the speed limit in the left lane causing traffic that goes for half a mile back. I'm not saying your wife was causing any congestion but in some cases laws need to be implemented to correct certain issues IE driving in the left lane.

MrG

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Johnny_5
Wow, I wish more people were ticketed in NJ for driving in the left lane.

+1 I wish they'd enforce it here in Georgia, too. It sounds like the OP got a raw deal, but I wish all cops were as gung-ho as this cop about enforcing this particular law.

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Gravitas
YDI for being in the left lane.

Originally Posted by Johnny_5
Wow, I wish more people were ticketed in NJ for driving in the left lane.

I agree completely.

And now I know (after Googling) what YDI means.

unjung

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
All cops are dicks, and the problem is getting worse.

However, I also hate it when people drive in the left lane. Up here it's not illegal at all, but most people follow common courtesy... but I would like to see it banned.

Also it is illegal here to not carry your ID with you.

word

Reaction score
Never knew about that left lane thing. I cruise in it daily to avoid having to dodge all the slow traffic in the middle lane. But I always get out of the way when I see somebody approaching faster than my +15-20.

As for the cop well, he's probably disgruntled for having to work at 5am. Who can blame him for that, lol. Generally they have in your face attitudes because it puts people they encounter into submit mode and makes dealing with them easier. I encountered a cop like that in a local high school while there for business. The only excuse I give him is that I look young, however I was in a suit so I dunno. He deliberately blocked me from entering two doors and started his "harass a student" routine simply because I didn't acknowledge his presence on my way through the office. Told him to step aside, so and so is expecting me. If he shows up at my office to have his radar calibrated or other work done I need to think of a harmless way to prank him for this inconvenience.

Also I work with cops at my office, they are never punks when they aren't "working" because they don't need to have that front up. Well, most of them aren't. Once in a while they are napping in our break/waiting room and I like to toss mints at them from the candy jar.
happy.gif

odoreater

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I agree that a lot of State Troopers can be dicks (I mean, seriously, how dare he pull her over for going only 20 mph over the speed limit). Having said that, I'm glad there's at least one out there that is ticketing people for driving in the left lane. Were it not for the privileges and immunities clause, I would be in favor of New Jersey passing a law barring all out of staters from driving in the left lane at any time.

Tck13

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by odoreater
I would be in favor of New Jersey passing a law barring all New Jersians from driving at any time.
ftfy
devil.gif
In regards to the original poast. It sucks getting a ticket but I hope cops pull more people over that do the things you mentioned. I can't say I have much sympathy. Driving in the passing lane just congests traffic (and driving there is pointless when there isn't any). It's simply ignorant and I'm glad it's illegal. Also, never drive without your license. It's illegal and there's a fine for that as well.

Jumbie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
+1 on the passing lane thing. When I was in NJ it would drive me nuts cause it's clearly stated on signs all along the highways that the left lane is for passing.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
monsieurcharlemagne