• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • LuxeSwap Auctions will be ending soon!

LuxeSwap is the original consignor for Styleforum, and has weekly auctions that show the diversity of our community, with hundreds lof starting at $0.99 every week, ending starting at 5:30 Eastern Time. Please take the time to check them out here. You may find something that fits your wardrobe exactly

Good luck!

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Greatest quarterback ever

Brian278

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Manning should be higher, especially than Farve. Farve put up a lot of numbers by throwing a lot of passes, Manning played a greater role in his teams offensive success as a whole.

Don't like comparing the guys from a half century ago since the league was so different (i.e. much easier to win a title with a lot less teams, free agency difference, etc.).

horndog

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Jason Campbell!

I think Peyton deserves more credit because he's more or less his own offensive coordinator. Agree with whoever said earlier that a superbowl win or two more and he's top 10 for sure.

Davidko19

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I hate this Otto Graham and "old players are ALWAYS better" talk. Sure, he won championships and MVPs... in the AAFC (WTF is that?!?!) against 7 other teams, 230 pound white linemen and boring ass defenses. This was the genesis of organized football, where a 6-1", 195# QB could be good.

Fact is for a 10 year career the dude had a TD:Int ratio of 174-135, just 23,584 yards and a QB Rating of 86.6

By Contrast:
Manning: 345-169 / 47,273 / 95.3
Favre: 473-312 / 66,196 / 85.7
Marino: 420-252 / 61,361 / 86.4
Warner: 188-118 / 29,756 / 89.7

When its all said and done Peyton Manning will have damn near every record, probably 5 MVPs, and at least 2-3 championships. Of course, that isnt going to last either. In 10 years there willl probably be some kid out who destroys all against a 32 team league of smart, physical, amped up players.

zalb916

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
All of you are incorrect. Derek Jeter is the greatest quarterback ever.

thetieguy

Reaction score
Any body could have won those titles throwing to Jerry Rice and John Taylor. They also had Brent Jones, Tom rathman and Roger Craig. They had a solid defense and played some horrible teams in the Super Bowl. Those Bengals and Broncos teams they beat were some of the worst to make it to the big game.

Slopho

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by MsMcGillicuddy
Montana. Always.

+1, 4 Super Bowls and 0 INTs.

Mr T

Reaction score
I disagree with some of the placement on the list but the list itself is solid except for two things. First, Manning needs to win another Superbowl - he doesn't belong on the list yet. Second, Marino needs to come off the list altogether. He can go instead to the top of the list for greatest quarterback disappointments. Steve Young can take his place here.

breakz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mr T
Second, Marino needs to come off the list altogether. He can go instead to the top of the list for greatest quarterback disappointments.

It's not Marino's fault they didn't have a running game.

lee_44106

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Where's Roethlisberger?

Great potential there. Kinda like Obama with the Nobel Peace, Big Ben will be the greatest. EVER.
fight[1].gif

life_interrupts

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by iammatt
It is also pretty tough to know how much of Graham and Montana could really be called Brown and Walsh.
Originally Posted by zbromer
While I'm biased towards Baugh as a Redskins fan, he's from a totally different era. It's impossible to compare him. I also agree that his playing on both sides of the ball shouldn't really factor into the discussion. I have no problem excluding him from the discussion.
+1 on the Brown/Walsh factor on Graham and Montana. I think you have to include Baugh because he was the first real passing star in the league, playing a vertical game in the 3 yds and a cloud of dust era. As much as I loved watching the 70s Steelers, I can't help but think Bradshaw wasn't nearly as good as the four rings he owns. A lot of Franco and Rocky Bleier, Stallworth and Swann making death-defying catches. Bradshaw=good, but no greatest. For this same reason, I'm reassessing my view of Tom Brady. Won with nobodies at receiver, scarcely a feature back. Stronger arm that you think, great timing and accuracy.

Merckx

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'll admit I'm biased as the Green Bay Packers are my team, but I'm going with Bart Starr as my greatest ever, followed by Montana at number two.

He won 5 NFL championships, led the league in passer rating five times, averaged 7.85 YPA over his career including averaging 8.2 YPA during six seasons, has a record 104.8 career playoff passer rating and a postseason record 1.41 percent interception rate.

As far as the other Packer quarterback, I wouldn't put Favre very high on my top 10 list. I'll give him props for his ironman mark and his numbers, but I don't think he was a very clutch performer in the playoffs when it counted. Too many interceptions that absolutely killed the Packers chances.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
trump