• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • Last Day to save 20% sitewide at Kirby Allison's annual Father's Day Sale! !

Kirby Allison is one of Styleforum's original success stories, beginning long ago with Kirby;s Hanger Project. Every year, Kirby holds a Father's Day Sale featuring some of the best accessories and shoe care products in the world. Take this opportunity to get something for your father, grandfather, or yourself, at a rare 20% discount (discount taken automatically at the checkout). See if you find that perfect hanger, shoe cream, or watch case here

Enjoy

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

30 too old to rock?

MrG

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Absolutely not. As said above, if you love it don't stop.

If it makes you feel any better I'm 30, and I'm hoping to start playing in bands again (or at least jamming with people again). Sitting in front of my TV just picking my guitar isn't doing it for me any more.

gnatty8

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Thurston Moore is 51 and Kim Gordon is 56. Their music is as good today as it was in the 80s and 90s. They are not too old to rock. Kim Gordon actually still looks good in that alterntative chick sort of way.

lolla13_SonicYouth.jpg

musa-3-kim-gordon.jpg

MrG

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gnatty8
Thurston Moore is 51 and Kim Gordon is 56. Their music is as good today as it was in the 80s and 90s. They are not too old to rock. Kim Gordon actually still looks good in that alterntative chick sort of way.

I never would have thought they were that old. I always forget Sonic Youth was around for quite a while before they really broke into anything approaching the mainstream.

+1 on Kim Gordon. She looks great.

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Get Smart
+1 I played in a punk style band til I was 37, would still be playing if I had more free time. And i managed to suck on every chord I played too.

wtf you're 37?

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
30 is far from too old to rock. It is, however, probably too old to put off earning a more steady and substantial paycheque, than what the typical garage/bar band can pay you. I think that's why people tend to start dropping out of the scene more than age in and of itself.

willpower

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Go see Sonic Youth in concert. They're still absolutely amazing. True artists. Paul McCartney is 67 and still sings "Helter Skelter" on key. 30 isn't too old.

whodini

Conan OOOOOOO"BRIEN!
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Garage/Surf Rock
I'm feeling self-conscious about being in a garage/punk kinda band at this age.
Look at all the punk bands that were old when they broke out in the mid-90s and are still playing today: Pennywise, No Use For a Name, Offspring, Rancid... They've pretty much said "screw age" and have stuck with it. I definitely plan on keeping it that way. Eagles of Death Metal is one of my favorite bands and while relatively "new" they're all in their late 30s or older. I can't name any band, regardless of age, that plays song about being horny and banging chicks with the confidence or believability they do.
Originally Posted by bbaquiran
I recently sold all my guitars amps and pedals. Quitting while I'm ahead, etc.
Yeah, this will never happen to me. Not just because my kids are going to love my gear in another 20+ years but the only way I'll ever part with my instruments is when they come grab it from my cold, dead hands. I'm too good to just drop it like knitting classes.

redcaimen

Bigtime
Reaction score
I think at 30 you should start to segue into folk music.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later. I AGREE

TIP: to embed Youtube clips, put only the encoded part of the Youtube URL, e.g. eBGIQ7ZuuiU between the tags. 67 years old. This was recorded two years ago.
IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later. I AGREE

TIP: to embed Youtube clips, put only the encoded part of the Youtube URL, e.g. eBGIQ7ZuuiU between the tags. Here he is this year. And catch Iommi rocking the house.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Florenceahillips