• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • LuxeSwap Auctions will be ending soon!

LuxeSwap is the original consignor for Styleforum, and has weekly auctions that show the diversity of our community, with hundreds lof starting at $0.99 every week, ending starting at 5:30 Eastern Time. Please take the time to check them out here. You may find something that fits your wardrobe exactly

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

First Night On The Line aka The Culinary Wonderment thread

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Congrats on (a) having the courage to change careers, (b) getting into the school you wanted, (c) landing the stage and (d) doing so well on your first day. a+b+c+d = you doing what you really want to do and building a career out of it. Few people can say that about their professional lives.

unjung

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Good thread, although the kitchen brotherhood thing is a little ****. You should go on Hell's Kitchen.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That brought a tear to my eye, Kwilk. Super nice!!!
bigstar[1].gif

Connemara

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Good job. Now, the next step is to remain calm when the chef asks you to bend over and receive his kack.

"Yes, chef...*sob*"

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
I'm proud of you Kwilk. One day, I hope to eat at a place you own. You better have ******* four kinds of foie for me!

Great job kid.

NorCal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Glad to see you enjoy it. Hold on to the feeling because it won't always last. I've worked in (dish washer, prep cooking) and around kitchens (the dreaded front of house) and have a few friends in the biz and my only advice is this: take every chance to learn a new and better skill and to polish your overall game, even if it means less money in the short term. If you want to rise above being a line cook you are going to need to do a lot more than just cook. Like it or not, there is a country full of people who can cook a steak, make pasta (even hella Gucci handmade pasta), and generally work the line just as well or better than you and they will work harder for less. As racist as it sounds, you're a white boy with a classic culinary education and that gives you a certain advantage. Embrace that advantage, take it and run with it as far as you can.
If you ever decide to move to SF I might be able to introduce you to someone who can get you some work cooking, PM if the time ever comes.

ps nice to see someone who is not cynical about their chosen career/path in life. Good on ya.

Dewey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I worked the line for six years. It was not such a fancy place, but it was as busy as possible. And we made most everything from scratch. So I can relate to what you describe here and I understand the euphoria. Good luck with the rest of your cooking career.

edinatlanta

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Great post man!

Kitchens have always fascinated me so keep these posts coming (that's what she said)!

Sounds like you are doing everything you want to do!

JetBlast

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Some good stuff Kwilk. Although I don't understand half the **** you said in your post regarding food terms it still sounds like a very rewarding experience.

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
good for you, kwik!! I am really happy for you.

Eason

Bicurious Racist
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gdl203
Congrats on (a) having the courage to change careers, (b) getting into the school you wanted, (c) landing the stage and (d) doing so well on your first day. a+b+c+d = you doing what you really want to do and building a career out of it. Few people can say that about their professional lives.

Word.

Huntsman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gdl203
Serious +1. Rock it hard, bro. ~ H

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members