• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • Last Day to save 20% sitewide at Kirby Allison's annual Father's Day Sale! !

Kirby Allison is one of Styleforum's original success stories, beginning long ago with Kirby;s Hanger Project. Every year, Kirby holds a Father's Day Sale featuring some of the best accessories and shoe care products in the world. Take this opportunity to get something for your father, grandfather, or yourself, at a rare 20% discount (discount taken automatically at the checkout). See if you find that perfect hanger, shoe cream, or watch case here

Enjoy

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Help the Style Impaired - Wardrobe Rebuild

zissou

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You have great taste in beer, so there's something that doesn't need changing
smile.gif
The goatee should go, though. I vote Fu Manchu with more growth.

lance konami

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mkarim
???

It's been a recurring theme here for a while about how fits in the waywt thread are boring, and everyone thinks their own fits are boring, that the styleforum "aesthetic" is boring, repetitive, etc...

thekunk07

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
^i love you guys but that is mostly true. workwear or preppy staples, generally. at the risk of my reputation, i try to mix things up. ditto socal, chrono, getsmart, rye, pg and a few others that escape me.

mirror mirror

Reaction score
Can you put any picture of you when you used to be overweight- for the sake of it?
inlove.gif

tounge.gif

I dig the chinos and shirt and all that... but all that aviators make you look like a cop! (Especially the mirror one, it makes you look like you just pulled over someone's car.) That's scary/ funny.
Plus, many dislike your mustache but I think they are pretty badass. Suits you even...

heisenberg

Reaction score
do you want to spend $190? you can find aviator style sunglasses for much less.
I'd prefer to not drop about $200 after tax and everything - any suggestions with a comparably good price/quality ratio, or places to look aside from SGH?

Also sunglasses are one of those purchases that have the highest cost/value ratio. Meaning their price is often not justified. If you do find something you like, make a mental note of the brand and style number and google it when you get home. Often times, you can find them for a lot less on an internet wholesaler website.
Have any you've worked with in the past? I think the cheapest I spotted them online was about $110 or so before shipping. Better than $190, but still more expensive.

You have great taste in beer, so there's something that doesn't need changing
Thanks. What sparked it? The Great Lakes Christmas Ale, the Ommegang botles, or the Spaten pack?

Can you put any picture of you when you used to be overweight- for the sake of it?
Ask and ye shall receive. In chronological order:

Attachment 16794
Randomly hanging out in college. Hey look, there's the Oakleys!

Attachment 16793
At the bar, still college. Look, a T-shirt with an ironic slogan.

Attachment 16795
Friend's place, so not expecting a picture. Probably May or June of this year. Look, my brown Eccos!

Attachment 16796
New Orleans, July of this year. Look, my Oakleys again!

Attachment 16792
Me as Captain Hammer. Bonus points if you know where it's from. Late August/Early September of this year.

but all that aviators make you look like a cop
That's what I've always heard about them, and what made me avoid them. They do look better than the Oaks, I must admit. It's just whether I can do better.

The way you wear the aviators remind me of this..
Sing it again, rookie bi-atch!
tounge.gif

How should I wear 'em?

JoyDiffusion

Reaction score
Hey, good thread. Congrats on the weight loss, and the wardrobe improvement thus far. To be honest, I think the J.Crew/Banana Republic shirts are the only thing you should keep. The A&F-type horizontal-stripe polos are a terrible look, in my opinion (even if you were still in college), and I don't like any of the tees either. I think the Ray-Ban aviators look really good on you (I have that same pair myself -- gold frames, green lenses, and they're my favorite of several pairs). I don't like the little white logo in the upper left corner of the lenses, but compared to the Oakley's, it's an enormous improvement. I'd get those, if you're still on the fence about shades (although maybe wait until summer, unless you live in a warmer climate). As far as a strategy for improvement... I would start in the very beginning with some A.P.C. raw denim. Either the New Standard (and size down only 1 or 2 bc you have bigger thighs), or Rescues (size down probably 2 or 3 -- I sized down 4 with Rescues -- but the thighs are a bit too tight on me). Also, if you haven't already checked, the A.P.C. thread on here could certainly help with sizing as well. But the reason I think you should begin there, is because when you're doing a major overhaul like this, you want to start with some items that will get you the most mileage. And if you get some raw denim like that, you'll want to wear them every day just to begin breaking them in. I mean I wear the same jeans 25 days each month (no washes) just for that reason. Plus, they look great. And you don't want to start with anything too expensive, in case they no longer fit when your body changes (taking off a few more pounds, but building a bit more muscle in the lower body may just make the jeans sit lower on your hips -- although they'd still fit). Still, better to not risk them becoming obsolete. The final advantage of dry denim, and A.P.C. in particular, is that while you're breaking them in at least, they look great dressed up or dressed down. But try and find somewhere to try them on, ideally. I think once you find a good pair of jeans (sorry, but I'm not a fan of those Lucky jeans on you), I'd go with some solid-colored tees (muted colors like black, brown, grey, white). I think bright colors are tacky, and I hate graphics. I guess I strongly agree with Why's earlier recommendation of Alternative Apparel tees. I'd add that you should get some v-necks as well -- not just crew-neck tees. Maybe throw in a couple long-sleeve henleys too, if you like that look. To be honest, some of the J. Crew/Banana Republic/Polo shirts are just fine, so I'd work on that part last. I also like the new khakis. A new belt is crucial (no offense!)... maybe something from Tanner... just an idea. Or if you want a bit of a flashier buckle... maybe look for something like this (although perhaps less pricey): http://http://www.selfedge.com/shop/...roducts_id=220 I think your hair is fine, but I'd lose the goatee. You look like you could pull off a good moustache if you like that (it's much better than a goat in my opinion) -- but trim the sideburns a bit shorter if you do, otherwise you (or anyone, for that matter) risk looking like a bit of a sleaze. Anyway, those are my thoughts -- I hope they help! Good luck!

JFKJean

Reaction score
Originally Posted by heisenberg
So, day 1 of "Let's Stop Dressing Like ****":

So, specific questions:
1) Should I try to get jeans that fit like the chinos, or am I still off the mark there?
2) This belt beats the skull, correct?
3) For tees, do ribbed work alright, like the green one below?

In general - a step up from before?

I do indeed. I'm guessing that's bad.

Should I try thrifting for those, or should I be prepared to shell out a few bills?

None taken - that's why I'm here!

I guess I can lurk a bit to try and answer this one, but how do I determine "better", aside from just brand name?

I definitely think its a great first step. You gotta start somewhere right?

Your jeans can be a little bit more relaxed than the chinos but still keeping the streamline look and not much bunching at the bottom

You can certianly shell out for a jacket, like a trench (double breasted) or mac (single breasted) coat b/c they're timeless pieces, always classics. Expensive doesn't always mean quality but they should last if you spend a good amount on them.

Blazers can go either way but try using your gut on what you think might not be useful for day to day wear. They should be able to work with a wide variety of your outfits Anything that can transition from day to a night out is a plus.

heisenberg

Reaction score
I think the Ray-Ban aviators look really good on you (I have that same pair myself -- gold frames, green lenses, and they're my favorite of several pairs). I don't like the little white logo in the upper left corner of the lenses, but compared to the Oakley's, it's an enormous improvement. I'd get those, if you're still on the fence about shades (although maybe wait until summer, unless you live in a warmer climate).
So, you mean the first pair or the third pair? I'm a bit hesitant about the gold (too flashy?), but if it looks good... I think the white logo is just a sticker. That'd come off immediately. I live in Virginia now (Richmond area), but my sunglasses are almost omnipresent - my girlfriend has to remind me to take them off the top of my head when it gets dark.
I would start in the very beginning with some A.P.C. raw denim. Either the New Standard (and size down only 1 or 2 bc you have bigger thighs), or Rescues (size down probably 2 or 3 ). [...] The final advantage of dry denim, and A.P.C. in particular, is that while you're breaking them in at least, they look great dressed up or dressed down. But try and find somewhere to try them on, ideally.
I live within about a 2 hours drive to the Denim Bar, so I can probably head up there to get a better idea about the APCs. re: Farinelli's - Alright, I'll check that out instead/in addition.
I think once you find a good pair of jeans (sorry, but I'm not a fan of those Lucky jeans on you), I'd go with some solid-colored tees (muted colors like black, brown, grey, white). I think bright colors are tacky, and I hate graphics. I guess I strongly agree with Why's earlier recommendation of Alternative Apparel tees. I'd add that you should get some v-necks as well -- not just crew-neck tees. Maybe throw in a couple long-sleeve henleys too, if you like that look.
Yeah, the Luckys are starting to look more and more like a bad purchase, but I bought 'em before I started lurking here... I bave an excuse! V-necks... I'm a bit of a hairy dude, and a few errant chest hairs peek out of any v-necks that I've tried on. Probably not the best look
laugh.gif
To be honest, some of the J. Crew/Banana Republic/Polo shirts are just fine, so I'd work on that part last. I also like the new khakis. A new belt is crucial (no offense!)... maybe something from Tanner... just an idea. Or if you want a bit of a flashier buckle... maybe look for something like this (although perhaps less pricey):
The skull's in the closet. I've got another less ridiculous buckle on a brown belt that I'll post up in the near future. It is way too long, though. It was large on me 50 lbs ago. I might be able to trim the edge down a bit... Or I'll just stick with the reversible one I posted earlier today until I find something somewhere between a plain buckle and the skull.
I think your hair is fine, but I'd lose the goatee. You look like you could pull off a good moustache if you like that (it's much better than a goat in my opinion) -- but trim the sideburns a bit shorter if you do, otherwise you (or anyone, for that matter) risk looking like a bit of a sleaze.
Thanks - I got my hair situation fixed when I went somewhere that they charged more than $15 for a cut... As for the goatee, now I've heard everything - keep it, shave it, go with the fu, and go with the mousstache. I'd be afraid of ending up with a **** stache, so I'm a bit hesitant about that route. If anybody suggests handlebar, it's all over. For me clean-shaved... Damn, I have to go back to when I was 18 for that. Here's a pic of it: Attachment 16797 I'm sure that I'd look a bit different after 6 years and 50 lbs, but that should pass along the basics... Still a good idea?

bluemagic

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You can do things the easy way or the hard way.

To do things the easy way, you should understand why certain things are right or not for you. You will inevitably buy some things you regret buying, but it's always wise to minimize these purchases.

I recommend Carole Jackson's Color for Men and Alan Flusser's Dressing the Man for some basic knowledge.

I think it also helps to have a style goal/identity. It's like an interview in that way; it really makes things easier to have a cohesive idea around with everything flows.

wmmk

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For jeans, go to Farinelli's rather than Denim Bar. Mauro will hook you up with some cool ****.

JFKJean

Reaction score
Originally Posted by heisenberg
So, you mean the first pair or the third pair? I'm a bit hesitant about the gold (too flashy?), but if it looks good...

V-necks... I'm a bit of a hairy dude, and a few errant chest hairs peek out of any v-necks that I've tried on. Probably not the best look
laugh.gif

I vote for trying the clean shaven look for now and see how it works for you/reactions from people who's opinions you value. One of the other guys mentioned earlier that you should hold back blazers(?) until you finish losing the weight. When do we ever "finish losing weight"? Our bodies are constantly changing so buy for your current size. Worst case scenario is you can still make slight alterations. I also vote that the first pair of aviators looking best on you

photofabix

Reaction score
Congrats on the weight loss! I'm in a similar situation as you are since loosing over a 100 pounds.

Jeans - Fully agree with everyone, ditch the Lucky's, I too made the huge mistake of buying a pair of them. They've stretched out worse then any jeans I've ever owned and make me look allot bigger then 164 pounds. The only thing I like about them is the denim is really soft.

Levis - The 505 is a much different fit then the 501's (regular not stf), I compared the two recently. The 505 had a really high inseam, and baggy thighs. The 501 had a lower on the waist fit and overall a slimmer fit. Also the 514 I tried a raw looking pair and a pair with 1% lycra and don't care for the fit of them at all there pretty snug in the thighs (my thighs are about normal I think 21")

I'm still looking for the right pair of jeans my self, sorry I can't be much more help here. If your still loosing like I am you probably will want to hold off on the APC purchase for now, that's one of the reasons I haven't gotten a pair yet.

Shirts - I highly recommend looking at American Apparel, there cheap (especially from wholesalers, check ebay) they have an overall slim fit that really looks great. You'll want to measure your chest though as there sizes are a bit askew. I normally wear a medium, but in the 2001Tee I order the Large (40" Chest) as they usually shrink a bit in the wash (even in cold water, low heat dry) Target tee's I wasn't to crazy about those, I tried on there "Ultimate" tee and they were way to relaxed and baggy fitting. I didn't get a chance to try the Mossimo tees as there weren't many colors to choose from when I went.

Colors - stick with whites, blacks, and dark blues. I personally was afraid to go white as I have pale skin and friends were warning it would look bad, but I think it looks really good with pale skin.

dfagdfsh

Professional Style Farmer
Reaction score
You have two options:

You can determine what styles and sizes fit you best and buy a lot of cheap clothes, or you can buy 4-5 really nice, expensive solid pieces that will last forever. I suggest a compromise of the both.

A lot of people are suggesting APC and I implore you to please, please stay away. It's not that APC are bad jeans, but in this retail climate you can do so much better. If you're willing to spend even $20, you can start hitting a price range where you can get brands like KMW, 5EP and RRL on sale, and by anyone standards these jeans blow APC out of the water.

You're going to want to spend a fair amount of money on two things: this pair of jeans and a pair of good, solid shoes. You can wear these two pieces almost every day in almost any circumstance, and with some cheap tshirts and button ups (H&M, Rugby or Jcrew on sale), you can have a decent wardrobe. Another item that it's hard to go budget with is a good, heavy jacket, but again in this retail climate, if you're welling to spend $200-$300 dollars, can you get a very, very good deal on an item that will last you years.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Melioidosis