• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • LuxeSwap Auctions will be ending soon!

LuxeSwap is the original consignor for Styleforum, and has weekly auctions that show the diversity of our community, with hundreds lof starting at $0.99 every week, ending starting at 5:30 Eastern Time. Please take the time to check them out here. You may find something that fits your wardrobe exactly, maybe even these Trickers boot

Good luck!

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What stereo(s) do you listen to? What do you want?

RJman

Posse Member
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by whacked
They call it the trickle-down effect. The free market is to blame.
devil.gif

Bah. A rising trickle lifts all boats.

dkzzzz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Sprezzatura2010
Actually, the list is gigantic. It encompasses basically everything from $200 Pioneer receivers with chip amp stages to Meridian and McIntosh, except for some junk on the extreme low end, and an awful lot of the stuff on the high end. .

So all these amps on your gigantic list will sound exactly the same right? I am just trying to get it:
So Krell KAV400 will sound exactly like Bryston 100 SST and in turn like Mcintosh Intgrted and Musical Fidelity will sound just like YBA?

Sprezzatura2010

Reaction score
Originally Posted by dkzzzz
So all these amps on your gigantic list will sound exactly the same right? I am just trying to get it:
So Krell KAV400 will sound exactly like Bryston 100 SST and in turn like Mcintosh Intgrted and Musical Fidelity will sound just like YBA?

The Krell, Bryston, and McIntosh, of course they will sound the same. Assuming none of them are broken and they are properly level matched. All three makers do competent, well-engineered gear.

The MF and YBA, I don't know if they are competently designed or not. I don't generally bother with that sort of gear.

Sprezzatura2010

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Artisan Fan
I trust my ears every time I make a recording. I'm just too smart to play a role in a biased pissing match with you.
You're still not smart enough to understand the difference between music production and music reproduction, and the types of gear employed for each of those tasks, are you? I think it's really sad that your lot are so afraid of actually relying on your ears that you refuse to see if you the things you believe in actually exist by using only your ears to determine the differences. Though I guess you're at least consistent in your pervasive denial of science and reality in life...

Concordia

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I think it's really sad that your lot are so afraid of actually relying on your ears that you refuse to see if you the things you believe in actually exist by using only your ears to determine the differences. ...

Good thing he's got you to tell him what's what. That should solve everything.

dkzzzz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You're still not smart enough to understand the difference between music production and music reproduction, and the types of gear employed for each of those tasks, are you?

I think it's really sad that your lot are so afraid of actually relying on your ears that you refuse to see if you the things you believe in actually exist by using only your ears to determine the differences. Though I guess you're at least consistent in your pervasive denial of science and reality in life...

Dude I would not appeal to someones hearing too much if I were you. To your damaged by headphones ears all amplifiers sound the same.
What sort of listening test can YOU partake in, you cannot hear ****? lol

Sprezzatura2010

Reaction score
Dude I would not appeal to someones hearing too much if I were you. To your damaged by headphones ears all amplifiers sound the same. What sort of listening test can YOU partake in, you cannot hear ****? lol
If anyone could reliably tell the difference between competently designed, nonbroken amplifiers with matched levels using just his ears, he would be making a lot of money as an audio consultant, and be a celebrity in the world of serious audio. Probably get serious DARPA grants, too. Such a person, however, has not yet emerged. Only deaf idiots like Harry Pearson and Jonathan Valin and Michael Fremer, and apparently this Fran character, who imagine they can hear things based on seeing the gear used and knowing its price point. And I'm not sure where that headphone comment came from. However, I'd be happy to put my critical listening skills up to the test, because it's something I've worked to develop over the course of building speakers and designing crossovers. Frankly, it is something I'm pretty good at. How about Fran and I do a double-blind test where there is a real, measurable sonic difference, such as a small frequency response change somewhere?

dkzzzz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If anyone could reliably tell the difference between competently designed, nonbroken amplifiers with matched levels using just his ears, he would be making a lot of money as an audio consultant, and be a celebrity in the world of serious audio. Probably get serious DARPA grants, too. Such a person, however, has not yet emerged. Only deaf idiots like Harry Pearson and Jonathan Valin and Michael Fremer, and apparently this Fran character, who imagine they can hear things based on seeing the gear used and knowing its price point.

And I'm not sure where that headphone comment came from. However, I'd be happy to put my critical listening skills up to the test, because it's something I've worked to develop over the course of building speakers and designing crossovers. Frankly, it is something I'm pretty good at. How about Fran and I do a double-blind test where there is a real, measurable sonic difference, such as a small frequency response change somewhere?

Let me clear the air by saying that you Spezz complete the Fran. You are exactly the same type of audifools just with polar opposite views.
The only difference between you two is Fran is AudioSunni and Spezz is AudioShia.
boxing[1].gif

T4phage

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Let me clear the air by saying that you Spezz complete the Fran. You are exactly the same type of audifools just with polar opposite views.
The only difference between you two is Fran is AudioSunni and Spezz is AudioShia.
boxing[1].gif

Then why don't you take him up on his challenge?
He believes most 'non broken' amps sound the same, you don't.
ABX

Sprezzatura2010

Reaction score
boxing[1].gif

More like I believe in evolution, and he thinks the earth is 6000 years old.

Why is there such resistance to the rather obvious notion that the only way to reliably tell if two audio components sound different is to remove all of the variables except for sound, and compare them? I just don't get it, unless people are really so toweringly stupid that such a simple and obvious concept is beyond their intellectual comprehension.

Artisan Fan

Suitsupply-sider
Reaction score
Why is there such resistance to the rather obvious notion that the only way to reliably tell if two audio components sound different is to remove all of the variables except for sound, and compare them? I just don't get it, unless people are really so toweringly stupid that such a simple and obvious concept is beyond their intellectual comprehension.

Spazz,

I do this all the time as my recording team is constantly trying new mic cables. We put in a splitter from the mics and feed two different recording chains and we keep everything else the same. This creates an "all else equal" test. We have upgraded our cable a few times but we are quite happy with Kimber KCAG, the current champion.

Sprezzatura2010

Reaction score
Spazz,

I do this all the time as my recording team is constantly trying new mic cables. We put in a splitter from the mics and feed two different recording chains and we keep everything else the same. This creates an "all else equal" test. We have upgraded our cable a few times but we are quite happy with Kimber KCAG, the current champion.

If you know what's playing, you haven't eliminated all of the variables.

Artisan Fan

Suitsupply-sider
Reaction score
If you know what's playing, you haven't eliminated all of the variables.

You must know what the live version sounds like to know which cable is the most neutral.

A Y

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You must know what the live version sounds like to know which cable is the most neutral.

I think he's saying that if you know which cable is which when you're listening, then your judgment can be affected by that knowledge. It is an unusually common problem.

--Andre

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member