• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Would I look like a dick for buying it, teh chair?

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I hate my chair at my office. I hate it with a passion it is uncomfortbale and ugly. My company is extremely frugal with money and just keeps giving me replacement chairs from other parts of the building. Would I look like a dick if I just shelled out my own money for a nice office chair?

Sazerac

Reaction score
You could say it's for medical reasons, but then it would have to be somewhat plausibly ergonomic. Eames Management chair wouldn't cut it.

Out of curiosity, which chair are you looking at?

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
They would only give me an ergo chair if I had a note from a doctor saying I have medical issues.

I am not looking at any chair in particular. I just want to examine the possible situation first.

BrianVarick

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't see what the big deal is about buying your own chair. You spend most of the day sitting in it, why not be comfortable?

Sazerac

Reaction score
I had one of these when I was at my agency in New York. We had a whole storage room filled with old 60's furniture from their Mad Men era (long before Mad Men ever aired, though) and when you were promoted, you could just go in and pick what you wanted. I got this and a Risom credenza and an Aalto chaise.

FWIW, the Time-Life chair is the most comfortable I've ever had the pleasure of resting ****** in.

VaderDave

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think a good ergonomic office chair is worth every penny you spend. You probably spend more time in that chair than any other piece of furniture you own. When I bought my chair (a Humanscale Freedom), I was amazed at how long I could sit without being stiff or sore or cramped at the end of the day. It was quite an eye-opener for me.

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

They would only give me an ergo chair if I had a note from a doctor saying I have medical issues.

I am not looking at any chair in particular. I just want to examine the possible situation first.

Its not that hard to get a note from a doctor....you could basically walk in and say that you have either back pain or wrist pain and that you are sure it is because of your poor chair adjustment but your office won't do anything without a doctor's note.
Doctor gets an insurance payment, and you get a new chair in exchange for your copay.

They are re-doing my area of our office...and I was actually part of the small group they took on a field trip to look at workstations. Unfortunately, our visit wasn't for chairs--hopefully we repeat the same process with chairs (or get some in office samples) but I have a sneaking suspicion that they are going to try to cheap the **** out like the current office-depot looking chairs we have now.
If that is the case, I would consider the doctors note route or bringing my own (which might look a pinch dickish in a shared work environment vs a private office)...at home I have a herman miller caper task chair (this but blue) and despite having zero padding, I can comfortably spend FAR more time in it.

HomerJ

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I think a good ergonomic office chair is worth every penny you spend. You probably spend more time in that chair than any other piece of furniture you own. When I bought my chair (a Humanscale Freedom), I was amazed at how long I could sit without being stiff or sore or cramped at the end of the day. It was quite an eye-opener for me.

A good office chair and a good bed. :nodding:

Joffrey

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
When I worked at an office with a ****** chair, I went exploring in the hallways and stole a fat, leather executive chair that was temporarily stored in a hallway due to someone moving office suites.

Xericx

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You probably will look like a dick to others (oh, he's too fancy for the normal chairs), but those are probably only going to be from the office gossip types, moreso if its a small company. It should be in your right to do so though. I had this problem before in the past, really crappy chair, I just broke it on purpose and got a new one.

:foo:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads