• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Work pants: New threads for a new job

TheConstantGardener

Reaction score
I'm about to start a new job and am seeking some advice about pants. The job is with pretty successful IT firm of about 120 people. Prior to this I was in residentil construction and the managed a cabinet making facility. This IT firm just moved into the penthouse of their building, but the attire seems to be pretty standard bus/casual. I have plenty of shirts, shoes, belts, and sports coats, ... but I've never had to make the leap to buying (and even worse, wearing) the silky, suit type pants. All my pants are JCrew and Ban Rep chinos. Standard cotton. I think that is too casual for this company as everyone else seemed to wearing the silky-type pants.

So,.... my questions....
What are those types of pants even called?
Can anyone recommend a brand or style that are comfortable and look good? I'd be willing to spend up to $100-$120 if it was worth spending that much,...but I'd rather spend less.
Am I wrong to be dreading this transition?
I assume that 3-5 pairs would be suffiient? Maybe Grey, Black, Khaki and Blue?
How many times can I wear them before either a) dry cleaning them ,.... or b) ironing them

Two more quick questions for those that work in offices with similar dress codes:
-Up to now I've just been wearing black athletic socks (bc I hate the thin dress socks ...not comfortable) but know that wont fly anymore. PLEASE let me know if there are any brands to look for that are "dress" socks but still have a thicker athletic sock feel.
- Finally, ....I'd certainly appreciate any other advice on this transition. I know its really no big deal, ...but Im just kida bummed to miss my comfy athletic socks and cotton chinos. Should I dry clean everything? I think I need to get a tailored suit. I had like 5 suit but got rid of all but one because they all fit like garbage bags.

Thanks for reading.

David Copeland

Reaction score

I assume that 3-5 pairs would be suffiient? Maybe Grey, Black, Khaki and Blue?
How many times can I wear them before either a) dry cleaning them ,.... or b) ironing them
The law firm I worked was business dress (suit, usually with white shirt, tie, and dress shoes). Fridays was casual dress without tie, and many of us chose the dockers in olive, khaki, blue, and grey (not black). We treated the casual Docker styles the same as dress trousers. If after a day on the job they needed to rest a few days with touch up ironing, then that would be done. We rotate our slacks in the same manner as rotating our dress shoes (see Allen Edmonds Thread here).

Should I dry clean everything?
There are issues with dry cleaning everything. You may wish to Google Dry Cleaning versus Steam Cleaning. Also, selected fabric products in standard washing may be a plus for some of the items.

Are you single?

I think I need to get a tailored suit. I had like 5 suit but got rid of all but one because they all fit like garbage bags.
We can certainly offer some great tips on your suit needs. But you need to get measured first . . . by a professional.

If you happen to be trim and not over weight, than that will go a long way toward saving you a bucket load of extra cash to tip and tuck a suit. An off-the-rack suit at a quality upper end retailer may only need modest free tailoring to help you shine as a professional.

Thanks for all of your questions.

May you have a safe weekend,

David

mensimageconsultant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The "silky" pants must be wool dress pants. There are some that are machine-washable, but they tend to be lower-quality. If you post your size and approximate location, then some good local recommendations probably could be made. Clothes really shouldn't be ironed without cleaning first. Fortunately, wool that isn't lightweight tends not to wrinkle much if handled properly.

Suit measurements do need to be taken in person before doing anything, but also (unless local options are terrible) a suit from an unfamiliar brand or line shouldn't be bought without trying on in person first.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads