• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Wolverine 1000 Mile Boot Review

Crane's

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Hundreds of thousands isn't the same as 40,000-60,000...

That's correct, my memory must be going so it's a good thing I take notes. LOL!

Anyway even at the lower numbers there's no indication that quality and quality control are an issue in the line.

kbasanti

Reaction score
Hey guys,

So i went to a local shop to try the Originals in rust and fell in love with them. I tried on both a 10.5 and a 11 and they both felt great, the 10.5 being on the smaller end. However, both of them had the same amount of heel lift. I liked how the 11s looked on my feet as the 10.5 made my feet look kinda small, which is odd for someone who is 6 foot 3.

Will the heel lift reduce after wearing them in?, side note, i did not tighten all the upper lace loops. Will they stretch a significant amount? How do i take care of them (oils, conditioners)? Will the Rust colour darken or lighten over time?

I am going to purchase them online from cranes once the 20% coupon is back up.

sorry for all the questions, this is the first time i am spending over $150 on some footwear, so im treating it as an investment that will last for a long time

@Crane's

Andreas1965

Reaction score
So you have had issues that have been resolved by RW, RRL and Wesco customer Service ?

Wow.

There must be some good German/European bootmakers. I think I'd start looking at their products,
Indeed. Trickers etc.

Whenever something goes wrong with one of my American bought RWs, I simply enter any German RW-store and I'm taken care of. I mentioned RRL, because I once bought a few of their shirts in NYC and one of them was missing a button (which I recognized when back in Europe). So I sent an email to RRL, and 2 weeks later there was an envelope containing 5 spare buttons in the mail.

Wesco: no issues with the boots in 15 years (owning several pairs). Only contact with CS was mailing about custom made boots.

Andreas1965

Reaction score
Maybe he should just bite the cost of postage and return them to Nordstrom ?

Buying in one country and taking to another is always a risk, even if the company offers a worldwide warranty. Do Wolverine offer a worldwide warranty ? If not, then the German distributor may simply not want to get involved considering them to be grey market goods.
I will return them, next week I'll be in the States anyway. Or maybe I'll do with these boots what they deserve: throw them in the trashcan.

But why is this CS acting as if there was a German distributor? They gave me a contact email that was a dead link. This is, if you hear Crane ("millions of boots each year") a huge company. Shouldn't they be able to act like professionals?

In a few hours I'll be going to the store that once, for a short while, sold 1Ks. I'll ask the owner if he ever had contact with a German distributor.

Andreas1965

Reaction score
They say 40k to 60k because they sell 40k and retain 20k additional for defective returns
nod[1].gif

So true.

nevereast

Reaction score

Hey guys, 

So i went to a local shop to try the Originals in rust and fell in love with them. I tried on both a 10.5 and a 11 and they both felt great, the 10.5 being on the smaller end. However, both of them had the same amount of heel lift. I liked how the 11s looked on my feet as the 10.5 made my feet look kinda small, which is odd for someone who is 6 foot 3. 

Will the heel lift reduce after wearing them in?, side note, i did not tighten all the upper lace loops. Will they stretch a significant amount? How do i take care of them (oils, conditioners)? Will the Rust colour darken or lighten over time?

I am going to purchase them online from cranes once the 20% coupon is back up.

sorry for all the questions, this is the first time i am spending over $150 on some footwear, so im treating it as an investment that will last for a long time

@Crane's

I would not size up if both have heel slip. What kind of socks were you wearing and did you lace them up well?

Raindrop

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I will return them, next week I'll be in the States anyway. Or maybe I'll do with these boots what they deserve: throw them in the trashcan.

But why is this CS acting as if there was a German distributor? They gave me a contact email that was a dead link. This is, if you hear Crane ("millions of boots each year") a huge company. Shouldn't they be able to act like professionals?

In a few hours I'll be going to the store that once, for a short while, sold 1Ks. I'll ask the owner if he ever had contact with a German distributor.

Thanks for your input. I'll be avoiding this brand personally, you shouldn't have to deal with this level of service when purchasing products at this price point.

Last edited:

Andreas1965

Reaction score
Thanks for your input. I'll be avoiding this brand personally, you shouldn't have to deal with this level of service when purchasing products at this price point.
That's the point. These boots retail in the US at about 350 $, in Germany they cost you about 400 € (almost 500 USD!!!). At this price point one should expect a) quality and b) in case of a problem, a professionally acting CS.

Just imagine, if you invest 400 $ you can buy Wescos or Whites. Both companies offer much higher quality and are using leathers that will blow the paper thin CXL used by Wolverine out of the water.

nevereast

Reaction score

That's the point. These boots retail in the US at about 350 $, in Germany they cost you about 400 € (almost 500 USD!!!). At this price point one should expect a) quality and b) in case of a problem, a professionally acting CS.

Just imagine, if you invest 400 $ you can buy Wescos or Whites. Both companies offer much higher quality and are using leathers that will blow the paper thin CXL used by Wolverine out of the water. 

No one pays 350 for these, and if they cost 500 in Germany, blame exchange rates and whatever premium is tacked on.

Andreas1965

Reaction score
No one pays 350 for these, and if they cost 500 in Germany, blame exchange rates and whatever premium is tacked on.
Comparing these to my Vibergs, Wescos, Trickers and Whites they shouldn't cost more than 150 $.
Hell, even my RW GTs are sturdier and made of better leather.

I know you can buy them in the States for less than 300, but at the bottom line, these are priced way too high for the offered quality.

red81

Reaction score
1. I tried them on at Nordstrom. Seemed fine. A few weeks later (when back in Europe) all but 2 eyelets came loose. One Eyelet popped off and left a huge tear in the leather. My cobbler only shook his head over these boots...
2. see above. In store they looked ok.
3. Nordstrom seem legit.

What I must do now: put the damn boots in my luggage when in US next time (next week), go to Nordstrom, try to give them back. I want my MONEY back, not another pair of subpar boots. So I'm carrying the boots back to USA instead of just sending them to their German distributor (who, I'm afraid, only exists in their phantasy). One of my RWs once had a faulty stitching. These also were American bought boots. I just went into a RW-store in Germany, and they took them back. THAT'S customer service.

ouch, that sucks.
3 pair of rw owner here, 0 pair of wolverine.
nordstrom is great, by far the best chain in retail.

red81

Reaction score

have you tried calling nordstom? they even have a live chat (i'm ignorant to time zones, i'm not sure what your timezone is with respect to US) online, i bet if you nagged them, they'd email you a shipping label from germany back to the US.

Andreas1965

Reaction score
have you tried calling nordstom? they even have a live chat (i'm ignorant to time zones, i'm not sure what your timezone is with respect to US) online, i bet if you nagged them, they'd email you a shipping label from germany back to the US.
Yes, it's all set. Spoke to Nordstrom CS, I'm in Florida next week and will return them.

Not to be misunderstood, I'm not angry with Nordstrom, they acted the way Wolverine should have done. Over the last 25 years I had 100% positive experience with Nordstrom.

What I am complaining about is the poor quality of these boots and the way Wolverine is treating their customers.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 39 15.0%

Forum statistics

Threads