Why does the MC tailored aesthetic fetishise the idea of insouciant dressing?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Holdfast, Aug 6, 2012.

1. Fuuma

Fuuma Franchouillard Modasse

Wooah there Slavoj! Don't put your ideology in my mouth, can't follow you at all.

2. mafoofan

mafoofan THE FOO Dubiously Honored

Or, what you thought was "perfect" before was simply fallacious and you learned better what "perfect" really means. In other words, maybe you rose from your ignorance and simply improved at the task you were attempting to accomplish.

3. unbelragazzo

unbelragazzo Jewfro Dubiously Honored

+1000, well put. And I don't think coat and tie, or a silk square, prohibits that.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2012

4. unbelragazzo

Independent of whether that's true or false....I honestly don't remember enough about how I used to tie ties to say....the point is that I used to spend a lot more time getting my tie knot to whatever I considered the ideal state than I do now.

5. mafoofan

Sure, but my point is that doesn't necessarily mean you tie it more "natural" now.

6. Fuuma

While I understand where you're going (you're a psychiatrist or a psychanalyst, right?) I am not sure we have an actuall dissonance. In the end I think the belief that 1) a meritocracy is possible and even more so that 2) we have a meritocracy is so widely disbelieved that it is almost pointless to attribute it to people at large, although some individuals might pretend to hold these as true.

7. unbelragazzo

Fair enough, I don't know what it means to tie a tie "naturally", as ties are surely not part of what nature intended. But I feel more comfortable and relaxed wearing a tie now than I did before.

8. mafoofan

This is what I mean about loaded words. I am using "natural" to mean the same as "comfortable" or "relaxed."

9. Fuuma

Woohoo teleology!!

Nature didn't intend shit and EVERYTHING is natural, this is probably the only point where Mafoo and I agree (or do we? maybe he's a natural rights kinda guy.).

10. unbelragazzo

Oh good god. Obviously not what I meant. Once you try to pin down the meaning of the word it has very little meaning in any context.

11. mafoofan

That says something about how we use it.

12. unbelragazzo

Also so far as I can tell I never used the word "natural" in any of my posts. :foo: introduced it.

13. Parker

Parker Senior member Dubiously Honored

I totally acknowledge that I'm "just dressing up". I'm not in a suit-wearing profession or social circle, but I do live in a city. Sometimes I'll wear a suit and tie just for its perceived effect on observers. i.e. being the contrarian 'suit' in a group of 'hipsters'. Or even just for personal enjoyment. And though I understand the conventions of good taste (graceful, harmonious and understated), that's precisely why I will sometmes I like to wear an exploding pocket square. I realize this way of dressing is much different that someone who dresses in the tailored tradition all the time. I feel a little like an imposter in this world, but I still enjoy knowing the arcane rules and using (or igonring them) to my own personal effect.

14. Fuuma

It is one of the most ideologically charged words you can think of, using it is entering a minefield.

15. unbelragazzo

I think in this context using it is clearly a joke, and this particular phrasing is often used on internet fora in a joking fashion, as in, "closing your collar with a collar pin as God/nature intended". But whatever, I think we agree on the actual issue of the matter...