• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Who makes good flat front wool pants?

thinman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My favorite flat front pants, and I try to buy only flat-fronts, are (1) Oxxford for fit and comfort, (2) Zanella's Benny model for fit and (3) Brioni (1 pair, bought a NMLC for a fraction of the $695 retail price) and Zegna for the fabric. Incotex are quite slim fitting, to the extent that I need to size up, and also fit well once you know your size.

GeorgePaul

Reaction score
Originally Posted by dl20
I bought 1/2 a dozen FF hugo boss pants a year ago because I like the cut but they are very poorly made and don't hold up very well.
I've been wearing Hugo Boss pants for over 5 years now and never had any problems with durability. What kinds of problems have you experienced?

andyw

Reaction score
I have to agree with the positive comments on the Boss FF trousers. The James Brown model fits has a lower rise, a narrow leg, but not pegged like the Zegna and fit me perfectly. They wear fine; I try to dry clean them no more than once a season....have about 12 pairs a season in rotation and they last 3-4 years. They list for $260+ but can be had anywhere from $99 at Century 21 to $129+ at the Boss outlets. The regular Boss stores sell than at 30-40% off at the end of season.

GeorgePaul

Reaction score
Originally Posted by andyw
The James Brown model fits has a lower rise, a narrow leg, but not pegged like the Zegna and fit me perfectly.
Yes, same here.

neyus

Reaction score
You guys are too rich for my blood. Lands' end makes some good wool pants for $59.00

graf

Reaction score
Express men sells flat front wool pants almost exclusively.. I wear them to work most every day. Seeing as how I am the only one in the office not in jeans, why wear out a pair of oxfords?

style from the heartland

Reaction score
Does Hugo Boss excel at pants, despite SF's relative disdain for their fused suits? Or is this a price point relativity issue, applicable to odd pants?

Mr. Checks

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
As far as slim-fitting, and fit generally, I don't recall the OP saying he was slim or wanted slim-fitting FF, but just FFs.

Anyway, I'd say go to NM or Saks and try on a bunch of stuff. Brooks Bros sales would be good too, but don't pay full price.

thinman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by neyus
You guys are too rich for my blood. Lands' end makes some good wool pants for $59.00

I forgot about my LE wool pants. The fabric isn't the most luxurious, but I've owned them for more than ten years and worn them regularly for the past three.

dl20

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by GeorgePaul
I've been wearing Hugo Boss pants for over 5 years now and never had any problems with durability. What kinds of problems have you experienced?

I bought a pair of HB FF trousers about 4 years ago at the SAKS christmas sale and really liked the cut of the leg as well as the slightly lower than usual rise. The pants wore generally well despite the fact that there is no canvas in the waistband and by now the seat of the pants has nearly worn clear through (this hasnt happened on my brionis or zanellas)

A year ago I bought 4 more pairs because I liked the cut so much I ignored the poor construction (outside side seam, and again non-canvassed waistband). My "new" HB pants look as bad as my 4 year old pair which is evidence to the cheap fabric and poor construction (one pair split at the seat seam) that has plagued all of their lines as of late.

I recently took a pair to a local tailor and am having him make me an exact replication of the HB cut in better fabric and with proper construction.

Just to be clear, I'm not knocking anyone for wearing them and I'm glad you arent having the problems I have. I still like the cut of the HB pants over my zanellas and brioni's which is why i'm paying 500 a pair to have new pants cut in the same proportions. Even with their flaws I think they still represent a good buy WHEN they are heavily marked down to about 75-100$

DL

thinman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by edmorel
I think it would be a good idea if those that gave recs would mention what else they have worn/owned for comparative purposes.

IIRC, in addition to those I mentioned above, I own (as odd trousers or part of a suit) bespoke, WW Chan, Incotex for Pal Zileri, Hugo Boss, Ballin, Canali, and Corneliani for RL.

pscolari

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by edmorel
I think it would be a good idea if those that gave recs would mention what else they have worn/owned for comparative purposes.

My rec was for Incotex Peter Model.

I have worn:
Hugo Boss, Baldessarini, Sulka, Barney's house brand, Cucinelli, Polo Blue Label, Brooks Bros., Valentini, Incotex Formale (Coburn Model), JCrew (actually pretty good). No Brioni, Oxxford, Zanella.

If I could have copy the Boss fit with Valentini tailoring and fabrics, I would have perfect pants.

ChicagoRon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've always been afraid to try on Incotex. It looks like my calves will not fit through the top of the leg, let alone my thighs. Will sizing up a waist size make a difference there?

mikesduc

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mr. Checks
As far as slim-fitting, and fit generally, I don't recall the OP saying he was slim or wanted slim-fitting FF, but just FFs.

Anyway, I'd say go to NM or Saks and try on a bunch of stuff. Brooks Bros sales would be good too, but don't pay full price.

So how about FF AND slim fitting? Does Incotex get the nod there?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads