• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Whither burgundy?

audiophilia

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
First, I'm loving this forum. So many great ideas and posters with expertise and great information.

That said, I'm all a dither about my next shoe purchase. I have been scanning the great shoe threads and there are some good ideas. I wonder if any of you aficionados can direct me to your favorite burgundy shoe? Pictures would be great. A burgundy thread for those who, like me, just cannot make up our minds!

Also, the names are confusing me a little. So far, I've read:

Burgundy
Merlot
Wine
Hickory
Cordovan
Oxblood

Are they all considered 'burgundy'? Any other names I should look out for?

Many thanks for any pictures, suggestions, advice. I'm looking at Oxfords and monk straps only. So far, I'm in love with JL Sutton, Vass London and Tramezza Tibury, and RLs and EGs, of course.

Since reading this forum last month, I've purchased Testoni black monks, Testoni chili cap toe oxfords, Canali black cap toe oxfords, and AE chocolate brown suede McClains! All retail!!! :) The sickness is well and truly embedded!

Cheers.

Merckx

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Vass bordeaux wholecuts
DSC_0010-2.jpg
EG antique burgundy beaulieu
DSC_0003-1.jpg
Santoni Mahogany FAM
DSC01616.jpg
Franceschetti antique burgundy
Franceschetti001-1.jpg
John Lobb antique burgundy darby
JLDarby001.jpg

Roger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Great pictures, Merckx. Here's a link to the phenomenally-useful SF shoe pictorial put together some time ago by von Rothbart. There are lots of burgundy examples among all the shoe lines included:

http://www.styleforum.net/showthread.php?t=33612

And here are some JLobbs compiled by eBay seller Modern-Vintage. There are some burgundy models here (although surprisingly few), and the Plum Museum Calf is pretty close to burgundy. There are 11 pages of pictures here (195 pictures):

http://www.flickr.com/photos/modern-...detail/?page=6

With Vass, it's been my impression that of the two "burgundy" shades--Bordeaux and Oxblood--the Bordeaux is a little more on the brown side of the burgundy spectrum than the Oxblood (which would, I imagine, tend a little more to the reddish side). Can anyone who has both confirm this?

As for names for burgundy--broadly understood--I've never seen Hickory used (and to me at least it conjures up a more brownish color), but I have seen Bordeaux (as with Vass above), and Maroon.

audiophilia

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks, guys.

Those shoes are amazing. Not partial to split toes, though.

When I did a search, there wasn't much. Or, probably, I'm just getting old.

smile.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads