• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Which trousers will be better for all year wear and last longer

Freeq

Reaction score
Hey. I have a hard choice to make, I can buy 100% merino wool 130s pants 270 gram per sq metre or I can get a 4-ply traveller wool trousers from suitsupply. The merino ones look worse a little bit for me, but they are 3x cheaper. Which should I get for everyday wear pretty much casual? It's my first pair of these kinda pants, never wore anything else than jeans/linen pants.

which-trousers-will-be-better-for-all-year-wear-v0-veanvc4vwc2d1.jpg
which-trousers-will-be-better-for-all-year-wear-v0-tynb97uvwc2d1.png

TheIronDandy

Reaction score
S130s is a rather fine wool: the fibres are quite thin, but this also means they are often quite short, and more fragile than coarser fibres. "Traveler" fabrics are usually high twist (and 4-ply are quite sturdy) so assuming the wool is of similar quality they should be sturdier.

Assuming you will wear the trousers frequently, also consider the color. Pale colors require dry cleaning more often, and dry cleaning causes wear on the fibres.

Depending on your style, you also want to consider the "smartness": traveler fabrics are so called because they don't wrinkle as much, and tend to hold a crease quite well. This is a main selling point of those fabrics, but also means they will look quite smart (clearly pressed) - I personally like wearing smart, tailored trousers with more casual outfits, but I'm definitely on the more formal scale when it comes to dressing.

Freeq

Reaction score
S130s is a rather fine wool: the fibres are quite thin, but this also means they are often quite short, and more fragile than coarser fibres. "Traveler" fabrics are usually high twist (and 4-ply are quite sturdy) so assuming the wool is of similar quality they should be sturdier.

Assuming you will wear the trousers frequently, also consider the color. Pale colors require dry cleaning more often, and dry cleaning causes wear on the fibres.

Depending on your style, you also want to consider the "smartness": traveler fabrics are so called because they don't wrinkle as much, and tend to hold a crease quite well. This is a main selling point of those fabrics, but also means they will look quite smart (clearly pressed) - I personally like wearing smart, tailored trousers with more casual outfits, but I'm definitely on the more formal scale when it comes to dressing.
How warm are both of these? Are they wearable in both pretty warm summer like 25-30 celsius and 0-5 celsius winter? Which one would you choose? The merino ones are around 75$(i can get them from good seller on taobao) or 220$ for the traveler ones from suitsupply. As I said I prefer the look of suitsupply ones they look really really nice to me but the price difference is huge and i'm scared that it'll be too warm for me. (Also that the suitsupply ones are double pleated and other ones single is for me better look).

TheIronDandy

Reaction score
It's a huge price difference, I agree. Some things to consider:

Good quality cloth is expensive. $75 sounds like it would barely cover the cost of the fabric for a decent pair of wool trousers. Unless it was a clearance sale or so, I would say the low price would carry a risk of low quality.

Wool regulates temprature quite well, but very few materials will be good for both 30 and 0 degrees celsius. I guess it depends on your cold tolerance? I personally find I can wear quite "summery" fabrics in the winter as long as it's not too windy, but I handle cold pretty well. Also, remember that winter means slow and slush - NOT good for pale trousers.

Fabrics called "traveler" are often quite airy, which makes them good in the heat, but not so good in biting winter winds. Also, if you're getting them from Suit Supply, couldn't you get them to make you a pair with single pleats?

I think you should consider one more thing: how confident are you that you will like this style of trousers? If it's your first pair of tailored trousers, it might be advisable to go for a cheaper pair, in case you find you don't enjoy the style as much as you think.

Me, personally? If chosing between those two, I would go suit supply. But I KNOW I enjoy tailored trousers, I know I enjoy pale colors. And I spend a lot on tailored clothes, so to me the price isn't too scary. These factors may not be relevant to you.

Sorry, never a simple answer :)

Featured Sponsor

Do You Consider Sustainability When Purchasing Clothes?

• Always - Sustainability is a top priority in all my clothing purchases.

• Often - I frequently consider sustainability, but it isn't the main factor in my decisions.

• Rarely - I seldom consider sustainability when purchasing clothes.

• Never - Sustainability is not a factor I consider in my clothing choices.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jodhpur