• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Which suit is the better value/quality?

ties@thedepot

Reaction score
I have a chance to purchase this Polo suit for 500.00:
http://www.ralphlauren.com/product/i...entPage=family

Or this Hickey Freeman for 400.00:
http://www.hickeyfreeman.com/website...4&dept_id=4088

which suit is the better value not really in terms of money but rather style/quality. the polo jacket is rtw and I have to say that I actually think it fits damn well perfect, especially in the shoulders which is rare for me. the pants will of course have to be hemmed.

The hickey jacket is MTM ( i believe that is the correct term) so it will have to have alterations.

Is the polo jacket canvassed? is the hickey?

bowtielover

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Normaly I would go with quality before value, especially with ralph lauren but i will have to say the second suit has a much nice cut to it. I love the material of course the picture was better so that might change things. For 500$ your not getting one of ralph's finnest suit either so it's not really a fair match up.

neyus

Reaction score
They are both nice suits. The hickey looks really nice, and the fabric and construction would be slightly above the RL suit. It would be an easier comparison to make if they were both 3 button suits. I say, get the both.

But I think the hickey would be better value.

whacked

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bowtielover
Normaly I would go with quality before value, especially with ralph lauren but i will have to say the second suit has a much nice cut to it. I love the material of course the picture was better so that might change things. For 500$ your not getting one of ralph's finnest suit either so it's not really a fair match up.

What the hell are you talking about?

If quality/construction is the only criteria, it's a no brainer. Polo II suits(especially at that retail price) are generally half-canvassed, while the Hickey Freeman is of full canvas construction. Hand sewn buttons too.

All it comes down to is whether the OP likes HF's Madison cut. If the answer is yes, then it's a MUCH better deal.

ties@thedepot

Reaction score
I would love to get both suits but to be honest I would wear them so infrequently I don't know if I could justify that purchase. On the other hand my birthday is a mere 12 days away... I'm a huge fan of RL so I'm leaning towards that but we'll see.

rssmsvc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I would pick the polo because I love double forward pleats in pants and the jacket has side vents.

I have a few HF's and I like them but I love all the Blue Label stuff that I have.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads