• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Which shoes as a First Time purchase?

tehbry

Reaction score
Hey everyone, I just recently registered after spending some time doing research. So much information tucked away on this board.... anyway...

After realizing that the shoes I wear are absolutely pathetic, I want to grab something nice, but within my budget.

I am young, 22, graduating college, and entering into a Sales/Development position within a company that isn't very strict about dress code, but delivering presentations to clients makes dressing appropriately very important to me.

With that said, I am interested in grabbing 2-3 pairs of shoes that will last me given good care. Nothing extravagant for my first purchase. I would not like to spend more than $350 for a pair of shoes. Less is better for me given my financial status.

I mainly wear darker colored suits, charcoal grays, and blacks w/ pinstripes, navy. Would a black shoe be best for these suits? That is what I was thinking, although I also want to pick up a Cordovan as well. Maybe two blacks, so I can alternate?

Does anyone have any recommendations? Also, the best places to buy where I could get a good deal? (Caveat: I don't know my size for dress shoes)

All this is coming from a complete newb and I apologize for that
tounge.gif

Thanks,

Bryan

chorse123

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I'd look into Allen Edmonds. You can get two pairs for $350 or less, as they clear out styles and have frequent sales. They are relatively well made shoes and they have some perfectly acceptable classic styles. They are sold many many places, so you can try them on at ease and figure out your size.

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would recommend a pair in black and a pair in brown. Get the Cordovan as a third pair when you can afford them. Stick with fairly traditional shapes, nothing too pointed. It is hard to beat a classic oxford. Rotate the wearing of your shoes and polish them with cream and wax. Get cedar shoe trees when you buy your shoes.

Try on many different shoes at a large shoe or department store. Get measured and know your size. Try on wingtips, and other shapes to determine what you like. Shoe sizes vary a lot by manufacturer. So be prepared to go by what feels good and not the size marked in the shoe. Be careful to trust your instincts and not what the shoes salesman says about fit (i.e. "these will stretch").

Shop for shoes later in the day when your feet have swollen a bit. You want plenty of room for your toes (you should be able to wiggle them), but you don't want shoes so loose that they slip a lot in the heal. Shoes that tie are usually better about that.

Once you know your size you can try buying online. But you may need to send some back due to sizing. It isn't an exact science and requires a bit of effort but it is well worth it to get shoes that look good, feel great and will last a long time.

By watching the sales you should get good shoes for $350 a pair that will last you for many years.

chorse123

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
^ good advice

Originally Posted by pocketsquareguy
By watching the sales you should get good shoes for $350 a pair that will last you for many years.

For what it's worth, I think the most I've ever paid is $200 for shoes, and the bulk of my 10 or 12 pair rotation is Crockett & Jones and Paul Stuart/Grenson Masterpiece.

aragon765

Reaction score
very good advice above.. usually these posts would elict the usual "use the search function" replies, but the advice given above is gold.

Coupling the advice above WITH the search function should result in a very satisfactory result for yourself.

If you like the fit/style of Allen-Edmonds, you can get shoes directly from the manufacturer with slight blemishes (although most people have found the blemishes to be very minor or nonexistant) from HERE. Deals from other manufacturers are more hit and miss, but many sources can be found using the links above (support the board!) or by searching for specific models you like...

Hope that helps.

shawndo

Reaction score
Most people recommend the Allen Edmond Park Avenue as the standard black shoes everyone should have. I am leaning towards the new AE Soho though, to replace these.

Once you have that one pair of black shoes, just buy browns from then on.

PS Charcoal or Navy pants with Brown shoes is a great color combination.

tehbry

Reaction score
Thank you all for the advice. I must admit, I was prepared to hear the typical "use the search function" response to this question! I see it happen everyday on many other forums I visit, alas, the audience is perhaps MUCH more immature on some of those boards.
laugh.gif
The advice has been great. I really like some of the basic designs of a few of those makers. I know that I am basically going for a very classic, must have type of shoe, so I'm trying not to be upset over what I think is "too plain". Granted, I really don't have the fashion know-how to really feel that my opinion is worthy, even to myself, haha! I am going to continue looking at the AE stuff. It seems reasonable, and the blemished shoes on EBay do seem to be going for much cheaper. I would love if I can find some AE's on sale somewhere. I do have a couple questions, though. How does AE and some of the other brands compare to Alden? I feel like I hear about Alden a good bit from my searching. Second, I was always under the impression that black shoes were the color of choice for most suits. Above you recommend to increase the brown selection of my shoe wardrobe. I guess I understand the concept, but maybe I'm still stuck back thinking about highschool prom and dance fashion. Third, apart from a very classic style like the AE Park Avenue. What are some nice styles that will look good with all sorts of generic suits like Navy and Gray? Thanks for everyone's kind input!

npdang

Reaction score
My advice for a good, stylish british shoe, check out www.ebay.co.uk. Do a search for Grenson 8 (or whatever size shoe you wear in UK sizing). Personally, I find the leather quality and construction to be similar to Allen Edmonds, but the lasts are much more sleek and elongated. I like to think of them as budget Crockett & Jones. Stick to the Rose collection stuff. You'll find it to be around $230 including shipping. I've owned AE stuff over the years, and they are solid shoes but they tend to look round and stodgy on my short (sz 8D) feet.

I also like Crockett & Jones, which the leather is slightly more supple and the lasts a bit more refined than Grenson. You can pay into the low $300's for subs, or into the high $300's from Plal.

I'd definitely think about picking up a black oxford captoe, and maybe a brown wingtip, adelaide, or semi-brogue.

mikeber

Reaction score
Originally Posted by npdang
My advice for a good, stylish british shoe, check out www.ebay.co.uk. Do a search for Grenson 8 (or whatever size shoe you wear in UK sizing). Personally, I find the leather quality and construction to be similar to Allen Edmonds, but the lasts are much more sleek and elongated. I like to think of them as budget Crockett & Jones. Stick to the Rose collection stuff. You'll find it to be around $230 including shipping. I've owned AE stuff over the years, and they are solid shoes but they tend to look round and stodgy on my short (sz 8D) feet.

I also like Crockett & Jones, which the leather is slightly more supple and the lasts a bit more refined than Grenson. You can pay into the low $300's for subs, or into the high $300's from Plal.

I'd definitely think about picking up a black oxford captoe, and maybe a brown wingtip, adelaide, or semi-brogue.

How can you recommend buying shoes on eBay to someone who does not know what fits him well? I am always puzzled by such recommendations... The guy doesn't even know his shoe size...

shawndo

Reaction score
Originally Posted by tehbry
Thank you all for the advice. I must admit, I was prepared to hear the typical "use the search function" response to this question! I see it happen everyday on many other forums I visit, alas, the audience is perhaps MUCH more immature on some of those boards.
laugh.gif
The advice has been great. I really like some of the basic designs of a few of those makers. I know that I am basically going for a very classic, must have type of shoe, so I'm trying not to be upset over what I think is "too plain". Granted, I really don't have the fashion know-how to really feel that my opinion is worthy, even to myself, haha! I am going to continue looking at the EA stuff. It seems reasonable, and the blemished shoes on EBay do seem to be going for much cheaper. I would love if I can find some EA's on sale somewhere. I do have a couple questions, though. How does EA and some of the other brands compare to Alden? I feel like I hear about Alden a good bit from my searching. Second, I was always under the impression that black shoes were the color of choice for most suits. Above you recommend to increase the brown selection of my shoe wardrobe. I guess I understand the concept, but maybe I'm still stuck back thinking about highschool prom and dance fashion. Third, apart from a very classic style like the EA Park Avenue. What are some nice styles that will look good with all sorts of generic suits like Navy and Gray? Thanks for everyone's kind input!

Took me a while to figure you were talking about AE. the "EA Park Avenue" gave it away! 1. AE and Alden are the 2 remaining US made shoes. Alden is a little bit higher end and more expensive than AE. It's also harder to find, and they don't stray too much from their conservative styles. 2. It is a style thing, but brown has more depth than black, so more of the conversations around here revolve around that. You have to choose what you like, but many here like their browns! 3. Navy and Gray tend to be more conservative, so I'd stick with the conservative styles. Basically, just look at Alden's catalogue and choose AE styles that look like them! http://www.aldenshop.com/DrawShoes.a...&CategoryID=88

shawndo

Reaction score
Don't buy anything online just yet. If you want to go with AE, try to find a place you can go to try them on. Once you get the model name and your size, then you can buy a pair online. You size will change between the model names, so make sure and try all the ones that you might like and write down the sizes.
AE has just discontinued a number of models so there should be sales all over the place.
They also have a donation promotion coming up:
http://tinyurl.com/35n5zh

tehbry

Reaction score
Thanks for the heads-up on the shoe donation. That might help quite a bit. And please forgive me for my typo in my post!

I'm going to find some time to hopefully size myself up on a few of the models at the store in DC. That's the closest to me.

I'll take a look at Grenson as well, thanks!

Thanks to everyone for being helpful.

npdang

Reaction score
Originally Posted by mikeber
How can you recommend buying shoes on eBay to someone who does not know what fits him well? I am always puzzled by such recommendations... The guy doesn't even know his shoe size...
Let me clarify, I'm speaking of buying from a seller who owns a brick and mortar store and has a return policy. It shouldn't take more than one or two tries to get the right size for most people. The deep savings is still well worth it over buying full price at retail, and Imho opens up alot more attractive options than AE or Alden.

tehbry

Reaction score
I'm going to run by Nordstroms to get my sizes for different models they have in stock today. Hopefully this leads to some brand new shoes soon!

cvac

Reaction score
This is what I did:

Went to a brick and mortar AE store to figure out my size and what styles / lasts fit best. I can't afford full retail ($320-350) so I did not buy anything even though I really liked some of the shoes I tried. Later on, I went back to the store and bought some polish, a shine brush, and shoe trees to show goodwill.

1. Found a pair of new, first quality black "Birmingham" AE wingtips on ebay in my size for roughly $150 shipped. Make sure you only buy from sellers who accept returns for sizing or other reasons within a reasonable time frame. Different styles are going to fit slightly differently.

The AE store on ebay that sells " factory seconds" does not accept returns so I won't buy from them them.

2. Bought a second pair of AEs over the phone by calling the Shoe Bank in Port Washington, WI. Several styles are on "closeout" prices even though they are first quality. Bought a black pair of AE "Dryden" shoes for $129 plus tax and shipping.

Once you know your size and what lasts / styles fit well, you can order directly from the Shoe Bank. They accept returns as long as you send back the shoes in the condition they came in. I don't think you are going to get a better deal than what the Shoe Bank is selling the "closeout" and "discontinued" models for. Just make sure you tell the salesman over the phone that you prefer "first quality" shoes, not seconds, and you are picky about your shoes so you would like the best looking pair available in your size.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 94 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.5%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads