• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Which Hair Product Is Great For Longer Hair?

Hey Man

Reaction score
I find when people recommend a product on here from various companies, they always add that the product works best with short hair and maybe not for longer hair. Not that my hair is really long - it's just past my ears. Is there a great product that holds longer hair naturally (not sticky or frozen) even if you put your hands through it.

I find due to the length of my hair - most gels, pommades and mousse bring weight to my hair, which ultimately makes it so I have very flat hair - when I prefer some volume.

I would appreciate any recommendations from those who do have longer hair and also let me know the best way to use the product.

Thanks

moonkid1982

Reaction score
Ok I have long hair. I am not going to lie to you, my hair is not easy to take care of since I have very difficult texture. However, after having long hair for almost all my teenage and young-adult years and trying everything there is out there, I've come to the conclusion that you only need one product on your hair. That's anti-frizz oil/serum (They have all kinds and brands at most stores)... nothing else. No gels, hairsprays, mousses, or anything of that matter is good as they all flatten the top of the hair and makes it feel like it's wires or something rather than hair. The secret is after showering you gotta put VERY little oil on ur palm, just enough to cover the outer part of the hair, preferably the ends, put it on while your hair is wet (Dont worry about the inside part that's where u want the volume so don't put any oil there) then you blow dry your hair with your head tilted downwards, brushing the hair downwards. This may look ridiculous and you will probably scare your girlfriend, hahaha but it's worth it. I get a lot of compliments.

Another suggestion is not to wash your hair everyday. Specially if it's length is below your ears. It's not natural for us humans to have so many shampoos and chemicals in our hair. That's why in my opinion most people's hair looks really bad, it looks either too frizzy or too greasy. No one ever has the right texture. That's why I say have it natural and you will be surprised. If you wanna add a little bit more volume at the end of the day, take a walk outside (THERE IS ALWAYS WIND) or open the window in ur car when u drive on the freeway to get a little air. Hope this helps and here is a picture to prove it works.

Double D

Reaction score
Hell with serum. There's much better stuff you can get hold of, either leave-in conditioners, or Lee Stafford One Day Conditioner, that do the same job and give your hair that day-old look. Asides from that, if you want natural looking hair you shouldn't be using greasy hair products... all style can be achieved with a magic device called straightening tongs. As said above, not washing your hair every day really helps, and I've not noticed any ill effects from straightening dirty hair, if anything the grease seems to act in the same way as heat protection spray does.

If you want to do something super-stylised, a small amount of L'Oreal techni art clay should do the trick... you need to heat it up like hell in your hands or else it'll just clump like mad, but a small amount of it gives pretty indestructible style.

IndyDoug

Reaction score
I've been using Aveda's "Hang Straight". While hair is wet, put a little dab in your hands and work it through your hair. Blow dry while brushing your hair from side to side.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Staff online

Forum statistics