• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Which brands to consider as good alternatives for fully canvassed suits?

mans72

Reaction score
Hello gents,

My name is Manu from Switzerland. Thank you for welcoming me here :)
I've been an avid reader in the past week and trying to get up to par knowledgewise as quickly as I'm able, but it ain't easy!

So please excuse my newbie questions, and I would really appreciate any guidance you could provide.
So to my questions:
I am looking for a few nice suits and I like the E. Zegna suits (Milano cut) I have seen so far. So I went to visit their boutique in Switzerland and liked what I saw there. Of course for a Trofeo 600 suit, you will pay between $2,500 and $3,000 (not sales season).

However, before spending the money on 2 suits, after reading reviews here, I have seen that it is considered a "fashion" brand...I didn't know if this is bad, but it suggests paying a premium for the brand.
- so does this mean I would be overpaying my suits? or is it worth every penny?
- should I consider other, (maybe more classic) brands with a good quality/cost ratio? if so, which ones should I visit or look at online?

Thank you in advance for your help :)
Manu
PS: I did do a search in the forum but didn't quite find the answer to my questions, hence my new thread

Last edited:

biged781

Reaction score
I have little experience with other tailors, but mine (Romeo at Felice custom tailoring in La Jolla CA) does bespoke work for $3000. That's a fully custom suit made by a skilled tailor for the same price as your OTR Zegna. I think you can probably gather what my vote would be.

When you start talking about prices in the $2500+ range, I would just try to find a good tailor and see what he charges.

jrd617

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Look for the working suit hierarchy thread. Anything in the top three or four tiers is going to be very good.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads