• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Where would you go in mid-January for a long weekend?

swoll50

Reaction score
Wife is pregnant and due in late April, so we're gonna take a 4-day over MLK weekend. Leaving from Dallas and would prefer to stay continental US. She can't ski, but loves ski towns, so that could still work as long as it was somewhere like Breckenridge where the town is walkable.

Somewhere like NYC isn't an option because she's never been and doesn't want to go for just a few days.

pscolari

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Charleston or Savannah would be my vote outside of a ski town that time of year.

swoll50

Reaction score
Originally Posted by SpooPoker
Miami.

Just moved back to Dallas from South Florida. I have no desire to set foot in that shithole for quite a long time.
redface.gif

ed1066

Reaction score
It's not a ski spot, but Napa is really nice that time of year. Far fewer crowds and the good restaurants have a lot of specials going with local produce, meat and, of course, wines. You can eat and drink very well. Hotels are less expensive, too. Fly into SFO and rent a car, it's about two hours away. You can also fly into Sacramento and it's a shorter distance to Napa (fewer flights however). The wife and I almost always go to Napa for a 4 day getaway, it's the perfect length to see a lot and not get bored.

swoll50

Reaction score
Originally Posted by teapartystyle
tell us more about your interests...then maybe we can better help you pick a spot...
both really into food. buy everything as fresh/local as we can and very rarely have any processed stuff at the house. id much rather go to the store a few times a week and have veggies that were pulled from the ground yesterday than go once and get some stuff that was pulled and sitting in a truck.

problem is were not sure how well her stomach will sit at 6 months pregnant.

pickpackpockpuck

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Charleston is cool. Been there a bunch of times. A long weekend is really all you can spend there since it's so small. However, that makes it very walkable, and you won't leave feeling you missed anything the way you would going to NYC for a weekend. Plus, it should be a pretty quick trip from Dallas. New Orleans would also be a short trip, and if you haven't been there it's definitely worth going. Great town with great food.

I've heard plenty of good things about Portland, Maine, and Seattle as well. But Portland will obviously be freezing cold, and I haven't been to Seattle myself so I'm not sure how walkable it will be.

Some good suggestions in general here:

http://www.gq.com/food-travel/travel...merica#slide=1

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads