• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Where to invest 2k a year?

Dashaansafin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by inimical010
Actually i think its the other way around.

Anyone else think its ironic that silver now costs more than one share of JP Morgan?

LOLOLOL guy doesnt know how markets works.

Hai guise! Did you know that 1 MS stock is worth 1 Abercrombie Tshirts!!!!!!!!????

Superfluous

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by munchausen
I would buy a CD. Rates aren't great now but better than a savings account.

So let's see. He puts $2000 in a CD for one year. One year later he has $2020.
facepalm.gif

alphaO888

Reaction score
Put it into an index fund - deposit the same value on the same date once a month for the year.

99% of the general population will not be able to beat the market in the long run.

HRoi

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by alphaO888
Put it into an index fund - deposit the same value on the same date once a month for the year. 99% of the general population will not be able to beat the market in the long run.
Yes. If you neither have the knowledge to make individual investments on your own, or the time/inclination to learn how, then find an index fund with the lowest fees possible and be done with it

lastlight

Reaction score
Put it into an index fund - deposit the same value on the same date once a month for the year.

99% of the general population will not be able to beat the market in the long run.

Is it really the right time for an index fund buy in?

alphaO888

Reaction score
Originally Posted by lastlight
Is it really the right time for an index fund buy in?
Dollar cost average your buys by putting in the same amount every month on the same date over the next 12 months or in perpetuity. No need to try to time the market, plus fractional shares are available in index mutual funds

Hortensia

Reaction score
Hi,
Depends on how much of a return of investment, you're looking for as well as how much work you want to put towards it. For a while I played the car flipping game and took regular investments,starting capital of $500-1500 into cars that needed some work.

thebac

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
The responses below would be entirely credited, except the money is for his rainy day fund. OP, if it's a rainy day fund, it needs to be in something safe and liquid. Savings/high-interest checking/money market with no loss of principal. Once you've got a rainy day fund, put money into a nice, diversified index fund (like an S&P 500) with low fees.
Put it into an index fund - deposit the same value on the same date once a month for the year. 99% of the general population will not be able to beat the market in the long run.
Originally Posted by HRoi
Yes. If you neither have the knowledge to make individual investments on your own, or the time/inclination to learn how, then find an index fund with the lowest fees possible and be done with it

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I just opened a schwab checking account (which is pretty great BTW). To do this, they required that I also opened a schwab brokerage account (no minimum balance or fees, but obviously they are trying to entice customers who would trade stocks but have not been motivated to get set up).

The process to move money in and out of the brokerage account to the checking account is instant. This solves thebac's issue of rainy day fund availability. Hell, they will even let you move money from the brokerage account *on margin* (I would not recommend doing this as a short term loan...but I suppose it is nice if you need the money in a hurry on the weekend or something and make sure to place a sell order to back it up).

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads