• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Where in the world to buy my suits - Italy or Australia?

danago29

Reaction score
I am starting a new job next year and will need to do an upgrade of my wardrobe. At the moment I am thinking that I'll get 3 new suits, in addition to some new shoes, ties, shirts, etc. Anyway, my question concerns buying new suits: I live in Australia, but will be spending a couple of months in Northern Italy at the end of this year. Do I get my suits here, or am I better advised to get them somewhere in Italy (Milan I'd imagine)?

Practically speaking, I am looking to spend ~$2-3k in total. I know that Milan is renowned as one of the fashion capitals, however does this mean much for me and my price range? All else constant, can I expect to get better quality product in Italy than in Australia?

I will be wearing them pretty much every day, so my priorities are that they are of a decent quality, are tailored to fit my body, and that they look good, yet conservative.

Thanks in advance for your advice!

Subutai

Reaction score

I am starting a new job next year and will need to do an upgrade of my wardrobe. At the moment I am thinking that I'll get 3 new suits, in addition to some new shoes, ties, shirts, etc. Anyway, my question concerns buying new suits: I live in Australia, but will be spending a couple of months in Northern Italy at the end of this year. Do I get my suits here, or am I better advised to get them somewhere in Italy (Milan I'd imagine)?

Practically speaking, I am looking to spend ~$2-3k in total. I know that Milan is renowned as one of the fashion capitals, however does this mean much for me and my price range? All else constant, can I expect to get better quality product in Italy than in Australia?

I will be wearing them pretty much every day, so my priorities are that they are of a decent quality, are tailored to fit my body, and that they look good, yet conservative.

Thanks in advance for your advice!

Welcome Danago. Unfortunately, I have no recommendations regarding suits in either Australia or Italy. I can tell you, however, that if you search the threads you will find what you are looking for. Alternatively, you should change the title of your thread to be more specific; every couple of days someone new pops on here asking for suit recommendations. That general question has been answered 10000 times, so most of the knowledgeable members are tired of answering the question and won't bother proving the same advice again.

Good luck and happy shopping. Also if you do go MTM, I'd recommend starting with one, determining if you REALLY like it then opting for another two.

danago29

Reaction score
Welcome Danago. Unfortunately, I have no recommendations regarding suits in either Australia or Italy. I can tell you, however, that if you search the threads you will find what you are looking for. Alternatively, you should change the title of your thread to be more specific; every couple of days someone new pops on here asking for suit recommendations. That general question has been answered 10000 times, so most of the knowledgeable members are tired of answering the question and won't bother proving the same advice again.

Good luck and happy shopping. Also if you do go MTM, I'd recommend starting with one, determining if you REALLY like it then opting for another two.

Thanks Subutai :) I probably should have done a proper search for previous threads before I posted, especially considering how large this community is! Anyway, I have updated my thread title to reflect the specific question that I am asking.

Thanks again for the warm welcome!

Oli2012

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Spend some time on the Aussie Members Thread. MJ Bale and Herringbone do some good stuff OTR, and if you have the money for M2M go P Johnson or Suit Supply.

Henry Carter has some amazing ties too, I'd say on par with Drakes, get yourself a black and navy grenadine when they come back in stock, a navy stripe and a white linen pocket square.

The only thing I'd go for overseas is shoes. RM Williams aside (and theyre not for everybody), Australia is a wasteland of glued soled crap.

Stiva

Reaction score
Danago

If you are a fairly regular size you will find a much larger range in Milan.

Also better alteration tailors if you need any tweaking.

Depending (a bit) on what the Aussie dollar is doing, not much difference in price for the mid-range stuff you are after. Global economy and all that. Good end of season sales for no name linen suits, etc in Italy, but pretty much the same price as Australia for quality worsted.

Stiva

danago29

Reaction score
Thanks for the advice guys.

Quick question Stiva: what would you consider "regular size"? I am probably on the shorter end of the scale (I think ~165cm) with a fairly athletic body (not bodybuilder-esque, but with relatively broad shoulders). I have a mass of about 70kg, if that helps.

Nicola

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
165 is the short range even in Italy. Size depends on chest and waist size. Weight doesn't really matter much.

$2K AUD is what less then €1500? So three suits with an average of €500. You're either buying at the outlets and hoping to find something in staple colours and paterns. Or you're buying crappy quality in the normal shops.

If end of the year you mean pre Christmas you won't even be here for the sale season. Of course with the economy sales seem to be happening far more often then normal.

danago29

Reaction score
165 is the short range even in Italy. Size depends on chest and waist size. Weight doesn't really matter much.

$2K AUD is what less then €1500? So three suits with an average of €500. You're either buying at the outlets and hoping to find something in staple colours and paterns. Or you're buying crappy quality in the normal shops.

If end of the year you mean pre Christmas you won't even be here for the sale season. Of course with the economy sales seem to be happening far more often then normal.

Thanks Nicola. The reason I quoted my weight was to give an idea of my height/mass ratio (i.e. to point out that, considering my height, I am not obese, nor am I overly skinny).

My primary concern is quality; I don't mind staple colours and patterns, as long as whatever I buy doesn't fall into pieces after 3 months. Even if it means giving the third suit a miss to maintain a standard of quality, then so be it. I am also open to increasing my budget, I just wasn't sure exactly what I should expect to spend (this is part of the reason I joined this forum :) ) I will be leaving Australia about a month before Christmas.

Thanks again for your reply.

Last edited:

Ich_Dien

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It seems to me from reading on the internet that quality imported goods are quite overpriced in Australia, such as English shoes etc.

I do personally think you'll get better quality for your money in Italy, as there is a greater sense of "style" here in my opinion and as such the quality of mens clothing even for cheaper suits in my experience is higher than the norm elsewhere.

As ever, however, B&S is probably your friend in this instance, as for the budget you will be hard pushed to find everything you need.

Nicola

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I don't mind staple colours and patterns,

I will be leaving Australia about a month before Christmas.

I think you misunderstood. Finding staple colours on sale can be challenge. Finding twelve cream jackets OTOH can be easy :embar:

The sales normally start around Jan 6th. The Saturday after that date.

If you're willing to gamble no harm cruising the outlets and shops when the sales start. At worst you'll waste some time . You can always buy when you get home right?

Stiva

Reaction score
Danago

Your size is a standard in Italy - more so in Rome and Naples than Milan, but not so different.

I defer to to Nicola and Ich Dien on price and selection, because they live there. Bottom line though, I would definitely wait for Italy. I have a pair of Zegna pants and two pairs of no name linen pants I bought in Rome in 2005, and five pairs of Boss wool pants (iGents hate them, i like them) I bought in Rome in 2010, for prices I couldn't come near to in Australia. Milan similar. Still wearing all of them. Can't get jackets OTR b/c 193 cms and 110 kgs.

Stiva

LonerMatt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Danago,

Which part of Australia do you live in?

If it's Sydney or Melbourne I would strongly recommend Suit Shop. I have a suit made from them and it is great. The price:quality ratio is fantastic - and the price includes a tailor who measures you up and alters the suit when it arrives (second fitting is included in the price). If you're like me (young, not wealthy, needing someone with a good critical eye) I would recommend sending an email to Suit Shop and looking into that.

Sure, you could get an off the rack suit in Italy and get it altered, but for the same price you could have a suit made for you, to your dimensions, in your choice of fabrics, etc.

Knitwear, on the other hand, I'd definitely get overseas!

danago29

Reaction score
If you're willing to gamble no harm cruising the outlets and shops when the sales start. At worst you'll waste some time . You can always buy when you get home right?

My problem is that I arrive home with about 10 days before starting my new job, so if I buy in Australia I'd prefer to do it before I leave.

Danago,

Which part of Australia do you live in?

Unfortunately I am from Perth, which further limits my options
facepalm.gif
I am currently exploring my options and a few things have come up. There is a Herringbone store in the city, which currently only does OTR, however within the next month or two they will be starting their M2M service. There is also Joseph Anthony Bespoke, which has a great shop just out of the Perth city, however I am still trying to assess what kind of product I can expect from them and what I can expect to pay.

Thanks again for the input everybody!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads