• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Where do you guys find these deals?

meauounji

Reaction score
This might qualify as a "trade secret" but thought I'd just ask anyway.

Where on earth are you sellers finding these deals to be able to sell stuff like Purple Label suits here for a few hundred dollars? I accept that there's probably a finders fee involved in the transaction, to which I am not at all opposed (in fact, I encourage it, you're provding a service, afterall), but ya know, if I can go pick these things up myself as opposed to waiting around in the forum for someone to show up with something my size, it'd sure make it a lot more convenient.

DocHolliday

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Try discount stores such as Filene's and Marshall's, along with outlets and regular stores' final-markdown sales. Helps if you live in or near a major urban area. Most of the good stuff at Marshall's, for example, is reserved for large stores in or near major cities. Check out the New York City and Washington sales threads to get an idea of what I'm talking about.

Selling actually takes a lot of time and effort, between the hunting and the photographing and the shipping. But I enjoy doing it, and use my proceeds toward my personal purchases. If only there were enough proceeds to actually cover my costs.
laugh.gif

whacked

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I learned from credible sources that most, if not all, of the garments offered on StyleForum B&S are not outsourced; everything is made in-house. In our basements, I mean. That's where the magic happens.

aleksandr

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I read an article once on how eBay powersellers throng the opening day of major markdown sales of various high-end retailers and wind up spending thousands of dollars on merchandise to be sold on eBay.

abrocketsfan

Reaction score
Originally Posted by aleksandr
I read an article once on how eBay powersellers throng the opening day of major markdown sales of various high-end retailers and wind up spending thousands of dollars on merchandise to be sold on eBay.

I used to do photography for a guy who'd drive to various high-end retail outlets and negotiate a price for a huge inventory of clearance or sale items. He'd just buy out a ton of stuff and have one person sort through it and another person handle the packaging, etc..

meauounji

Reaction score
I learned from credible sources that most, if not all, of the garments offered on StyleForum B&S are not outsourced; everything is made in-house. In our basements, I mean. That's where the magic happens.
LOL!!

Anyway, thanks for the tips. I live a couple of hours away from Washington DC (Richmond, if you're curious) so I may look something up and go check them out. Tried Nordstrom's Rack and Off the Fifth once and came away oh so disappointed, but I never thought about Marshall's since the Richmond Marshalls never have anything good.

satorstyle

Reaction score
The Nordstrom's in Short Pump often has some great markdowns, get familiar with someone in the sales staff so they can keep you up dated.

demeis

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Usually the off fith and rack are bad places to look imo. They have been through countless mark downs in the regular store before being sold to those second hand discount stores and its mostly crap. Cause the bigger vendors make you buy so much and then the big houses work the mark down deals in. Ah the vicious cycle that pushes out the little guy. sorry got off topic. But try the 3rd markdowns at most of the first hand stores or soemtimes at the outlets if you have the time and patients.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 98 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads