• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Where do I begin?

GoldenTribe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I wear jeans and polo shirts way too often [...] I'm looking to update my wardrobe so that I look like I care about how I present myself [...] I want to be respected as a professional as well as attractive to women.

+1000 to what pnutpug said.

For basics, most people here love Uniqlo (available only at a brick-and-mortar store in NYC, or through Suddenlee.com if you don't live in New York).  American Apparel, Alternative Apparel, Lands End Canvass, and Banana Republic are also good places for basics like sweaters and tees, but beware of the gaudy things at BR.

Since you wear dress shirts and oxfords a lot, you should probably make sure that they fit well.  If they are blousy (too much fabric), take them to a tailor.

If you have the money, bespoke (custom-made) trousers from a reputable tailor will fit you better than anything off-the-rack, especially since you are so tall. 

Pay attention to your shoes - they are very important.  Cheap or mismatched shoes (relative the the whole ensemble) speaks poorly about a man.

Best advice I can give you is to post pictures of yourself in these threads:
http://www.styleforum.net/t/253842/waywrn-mc-casual-style/2535
http://www.styleforum.net/t/234255/hof-what-are-you-wearing-right-now-part-iii/21315#post_5134619
That way, you won't have to decide on your own if your shoes are ok, or if your shirts are too blousy.  Also, going through the threads and reading lots of posts will allow you to gain advice vicariously through previous posters, some of whom probably started out like you.

Best of luck to you!

-1000000 to everything this clown wrote.

American Apparel? Uniqlo? Arbitrarily defining blousey (poorly)? This is MC, get a clue before you dole out advice.

Last edited:

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Wear a lot of light grey.

If you are blond and fair skinned then I would avoid light grey except for pants. For suits, jackets and sweaters, if you even want grey then go for deeper greys and charcoal. Light, and warm greys will wash you out.

CDHagg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I mean no disrepect at all to CDHagg, but I would never buy anything at Banana Republic or Lands End or American Apparel. That does not mean that he's wrong and I'm right. It simply shows that his tastes are different than mine.

See how weird and complicated this can get? If folks could come to blows on the Internet, they would over such subjects as Joseph A. Bank, which some see as a legitimate place to buy clothes while others, including myself, wouldn't step in there to buy anything but shoe trees.

Definitely stay away from Jos. A. Bank. You could walk in there and buy a cheap made-in-China suit for $400, or you could buy a high-quality made-in-America Hickey Freeman suit for $400 if you search hard enough for a sale. Please, please avoid Jos. and Men's Wearhouse. As pnutpug points out, things like this can be subjective, but I think most SF members would subjectively agree with me on this point.

Wolfador

Reaction score
avoid the thrift store thread. You will end up at a thrift store everyday buying everything that is a "good" brand and end up with a bunch of stuff that doesn't fit and is too much of a pain to resell.

JubeiSpiegel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Like many have said, give yourself at least 3 months of dedicated lurching and searching topics you have questions about. Next, get out there and actually look at the items that you are interested in. Try alot of items on, and ignore the SA's at this point. When the time comes, you know what you want, stalk the product online if possible, and hopefully get it at a good price. Your welcome :D

MyOtherLife

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
All the best advice has been given.
Welcome to Styleforum.

ddonicht

Reaction score
I have 2 pieces of advice that hopefully can help. First, find a tailor in your area that you can trust. Unless you buy everything bespoke (not likely) you are going to need to have things altered. You can spend all you want on a garment but it will still look bad if it doesn't fit correctly. The tailor will help get everything fitting correctly where it most likely won't right off the rack. They will also help you figure out the correct size you need without trying to sell you something (like a salesperson will). Ask around the boards for one in your area as well as other people you know that dress well. I would also suggest taking something simple and easy to them for the first couple of things (shirt sleaves, trouser hem, etc). That way you can see their work without losing something too expensive if they mess up.

The other thing I would recommend would be to listen to your instincts. This does not mean go off and act on every impulse purchase, quite the opposite really. That isn't instinct but emotion. What I am talking about is more geared toward color, styles, and other things of that ilk. You'll find after reading the boards that there are opinions and counter opinions on just about everything. You can say the sky is blue and you'll have people talking about whether it is actually azure, cerulean, or beryl and that is before a troll jumps in and says he generally finds it to be peuce...at sunset. When it comes to clothes things are even more subjective. You can ask about a seersucker suit and you'll have half the people who love them and the other half thinking they are terrible and will make you look like Col. Sanders. If you really like something, wear it. If you have the fit right and are comfortable with yourself in it, you will look fine. I am of the opinion that if it is something out of the norm at all and you have to come to a message board to ask if you should wear it, you most likely don't have the confidence to pull it off.

Enjoy your journey.

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
^^^That is a good list of classic, good looking essentials from Put This On.

As several have mentioned, find a good tailor. Even better department stores will sell you things that are too large or poorly tailored. (often a dept store tailor will err on the side of making pants too long, sleeves too long, the waist too large, etc. because it allows him to be sloppy. If he made them really fit you, he risks making more errors).

How your clothing fit will set you apart and allow you to look your best. Go for a more trim, shorter look but not too short. That is for fashion shows. Don't think that just because you are a tall guy that everything needs to be overly large and extra long.

In your case, it will take some research to find which brands, sizes and cuts fit someone 6'5". You will need a size Long, but even then sizes and Longs vary by manufacturer. Go for the very best fit.

AndyMG

Reaction score
It certainly is. I discovered it when I first started improving my wardrobe and have found it to be an invaluable guide. Also, by having access to the items listed, there is a huge number of combinations that can be worn without having to have an enormous wardrobe and bank account to match.

mensimageconsultant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ever notice that such people rarely stick around past a few days?

The work wardrobe might not be bad. The casual wardrobe sounds bad. Beyond all the take-it-slow and fit advice, it would make sense to gradually change from wearing polo shirts often to usually wearing casual button-front shirts (in a variety of colors, patterns, fabrics, and styles). Polo shirts that fit badly or are pale, black or in loud colors probably should be weeded out quickly. Lands' End Canvas is an idea, but without pictures, a location, or budget, it is hard to say.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 36.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.8%

Forum statistics

Threads