• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

When to leave a company after a leadership development program

apocalypse later

Reaction score
I'm 25 and I'm slowly realizing my life isn't on the trajectory I imagined two years out of college.

I'm in a leadership development rotational program at a large publicly traded company. I make just shy of $60k in Tampa, FL which is hardly a destination city for young professionals (actually Forbes rated it second worst in the country). I don't particularly like the city for a number of reasons, first and foremost that its culture absolutely sucks. Yes, there are other office locations but for simplicity the business would not support me moving there.

I've been in this leadership program since i started, and I've been at the company for approximately a year and three months and have roughly 9 more months to complete the program. Following completion I go into a regular role in the company (and before I start that--I get a solid 3 weeks of vacation). 401k company match requires you to be at the company for at least 3 years, otherwise you lose what you've gained.

It would seem to make the most sense to leave the company after three years to get the company match and get at least one year of working a "real" job in the company. However I just don't know if I can deal with the fact that I've spent a third of my 20's somewhere I don't want to be, and I'm seriously considering leaving immediately following program completion.

Anyone have any advice on this? I know it looks much better to actually complete the program, first of all, then stay at the company and sort of "pay back" the benefits they gave you for at least a year by working there. If it makes a difference, I'm in a profession that I could do at any other large corporation.

almeidabrj

Reaction score
can't help you with your situation, but this does interest me as I'm waiting to hear back about UTC's leadership program. Definitely seems like a cool experience, completing rotations at four different business units over the course of 2 years

apocalypse later

Reaction score

can't help you with your situation, but this does interest me as I'm waiting to hear back about UTC's leadership program. Definitely seems like a cool experience, completing rotations at four different business units over the course of 2 years

It's definitely the fast-track. If UTC's is like any Fortune 500 company leadership program, you get a lot of exposure to leadership, training, and obviously great career experience. Your friends that start out as standard analysts will likely be in their role for 1-2 years while you'll already have 4 different jobs down. It really teaches you to learn and adapt quickly. If there's one disadvantage to it, you definitely don't get as much deep knowledge--you get a much broader experience which often makes me feel less like I'm not going to be as credible of a leader in the future since i never "went deep" in one area.

Anyways, hope you get it, and hope someone has some insight into my issue as well.

Claghorn

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Your twenties exist to make your thirties better.

I'd stay (for the real work experience, less so for the matching), but I've got no special insight. Still...it seems like the sacrifice will pay off in the long run. It's probably good that you recognize you are dissatisfied with your job now rather than when you're in your 40s.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads