• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

When shopping online do you find the models distracting?

Mrs. Savage

Reaction score
When you guys are shopping online do you find that the models faces distract you from the clothing?
We are getting ready to shoot some of our new merchandise... and sometimes it is tricky to find a model who fits all the looks.

Wondering how you felt about it.
To cut the head off or to keep it on that is the question...

why

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you cut off the head it makes the clothes look worse.

RFX45

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
The American Apparel's female models always distracts me away from browsing their items online. Does that count?

Nouveau Pauvre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I frequently find the head distracting. When I shop online, it is really important to imagine myself in the clothes, which is much more difficult with a models head. I much prefer cropped for no head/mannequins. Or you could go the Margiela route and have them wear cool sci-fi wraparound shades that obscure much of the face.
margiela.jpg
Edit: I have humbly decided the Margiela route is the best option

robin

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Using different models helps a lot. Oki Ni, Revolve, Tobi, Blue Bee, and scores of others fail at this. Context does a great job though, as an example.

Johnny_5

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Use different ones. Just so the fit is clear on different bodies. Faces are fine.

Lysol

Reaction score
Somewhat related, the way Revolve clothing gives the dimensions of the model and what size they are wearing is a big plus. The face / look of the model isn't of too much concern to me but I will admit, I never pull the trigger on Yoox because their models make everything look like euro-trash.

ashenwreck

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Lysol
Somewhat related, the way Revolve clothing gives the dimensions of the model and what size they are wearing is a big plus. The face / look of the model isn't of too much concern to me but I will admit, I never pull the trigger on Yoox because their models make everything look like euro-trash.
They do? I always see "The model's dimensions are measurements not posted" when it comes to Revolve's site. But at least they do give the size they're wearing. To answer the original question though, seeing model's head doesn't bother me.

Lysol

Reaction score
Originally Posted by ashenwreck
They do? I always see "The model's dimensions are measurements not posted" when it comes to Revolve's site. But at least they do give the size they're wearing.

Ok, I should have clarified, they have that capability but rarely keep up with it.

James Gatz

Reaction score
Faces are not distracting. I agree with LA Guy that several different models should be used, and it's definitely nice to know the model's dimensions what size he's wearing.

clarity

Reaction score
I am indifferent unless I happen to be shopping for womens clothes, then I am drawn to the face...

celery

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Use the model that best fits the clothes and image you want to sell.

Faces can be very helpful when trying to sell an image. Just ask . . . every other major clothing company.

Do you want rugged?
Feminine pretty boy?
Sophisticated?
Distinguished?
Old as paleolithic ****?
Athletic?

KennyGhetzoff

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mrs. Savage
When you guys are shopping online do you find that the models faces distract you from the clothing?
We are getting ready to shoot some of our new merchandise... and sometimes it is tricky to find a model who fits all the looks.

Wondering how you felt about it.
To cut the head off or to keep it on that is the question...

don't need to see the face... very distracting.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads