• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What would you buy?? (Watches......watches!)

tilesomoole

Reaction score
Thank you everyone for helping me narrow a million variables down to only a dozen or so. I've decided to go with this baby - found on ebay for just north of $200:

It's quartz of course, but that doesn't bother me too much. It should dress down or up (as much as I need at least), sapphire crystal, would look good on leather if I so choose, and the case is 40mm, which is perfect for my slightly larger-than-average wrist.

Now to look for a dress watch upgrade.....

Thanks again for the education, gentlemen!

* edited to correct grammar.....

arnuld

Reaction score
What watch would you buy for $300 - ish for casual -to - business casual dressing? I'm looking to upgrade to my first 'real' watch and the suggestions and lists are overwhelming.

What would be your first first choice?

Thanks in advance!

Short Answer

Start with an inexpensive watch: https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=$50+watches

From my little bit of experience into Horology, watches are defined by several factors:
  • Brands
  • Movements
  • Lifestyle
For brands, some people love some brands and some don't. You will learn that as you learn more about watches (I like CASIO and Seiko). Then, the movements: mechanical or quartz. In Mechanical movement you will get manual and automatic. Then there is Quartz movement. I prefer quartz because I want a lightweight watch that just works, where if I keep the watch away for a month then it should just work when I pick it up. (If you talk about aesthetics then nothing beats a mechanical movement, just beautiful they are)

Examples of lifestyle watches will be Field watch, Diver's watch, Racing watch, Digital etc. They are matter of personal tastes.

Now for knowing more about watches, watch some youtube channels and read on some forums people have recommended here. I watch Ben's Watch Club, The Time Teller, Real Men Real Style, Just The Watch and Teddy Baldassarre and a few more.

arnuld

Reaction score
Thank you everyone for helping me narrow a million variables down to only a dozen or so. I've decided to go with this baby - found on ebay for just north of $200:

It's quartz of course, but that doesn't bother me too much. It should dress down or up (as much as I need at least), sapphire crystal, would look good on leather if I so choose, and the case is 40mm, which is perfect for my slightly larger-than-average wrist.

Now to look for a dress watch upgrade.....

Thanks again for the education, gentlemen!

* edited to correct grammar.....

Awesome. Nice watch. I really like it :bounce2:

Panama

Reaction score
Short Answer

Start with an inexpensive watch: https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=$50+watches

From my little bit of experience into Horology, watches are defined by several factors:
  • Brands
  • Movements
  • Lifestyle
For brands, some people love some brands and some don't. You will learn that as you learn more about watches (I like CASIO and Seiko). Then, the movements: mechanical or quartz. In Mechanical movement you will get manual and automatic. Then there is Quartz movement. I prefer quartz because I want a lightweight watch that just works, where if I keep the watch away for a month then it should just work when I pick it up. (If you talk about aesthetics then nothing beats a mechanical movement, just beautiful they are)

Examples of lifestyle watches will be Field watch, Diver's watch, Racing watch, Digital etc. They are matter of personal tastes.

Now for knowing more about watches, watch some youtube channels and read on some forums people have recommended here. I watch Ben's Watch Club, The Time Teller, Real Men Real Style, Just The Watch and Teddy Baldassarre and a few more.
Real men real style promoted a dubious brand, and Teddy promotes watches that he is selling. Unsure about the others. The Urban Gentry is neutral in his reviews, although he has a dive watch obsession.

aaamax

Reaction score
If you're still open to suggestions,
Up your budget a bit and get more bang for your buck, especially if you buy used.

German Archimede makes a solid, understated, pilot watch in the vein of IWC, A. Lange, etc. I see them used as low as in the $400s

Steinhart is Rolex homage without trying to fool anyone. A solid brand as well.

Fun problem to have, enjoy.

arnuld

Reaction score
Real men real style promoted a dubious brand, and Teddy promotes watches that he is selling. Unsure about the others. The Urban Gentry is neutral in his reviews, although he has a dive watch obsession.

Hm.. didn't know that. Will check out Urban gentry. I want a divers watch too

Drek Galloche

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Seiko SARB033
Seiko+SARB+033.jpg

Remington Cashmere

Reaction score
What watch would you buy for $300 - ish for casual -to - business casual dressing? I'm looking to upgrade to my first 'real' watch and the suggestions and lists are overwhelming.

What would be your first first choice?

Thanks in advance!
3F5B8C70-53F4-4659-99E7-88EFC0CDFB3B.jpeg

I found this one at goodwill a while back and it’s a great watch keeps perfect time.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 92 36.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads