• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What tux to wear when the bridal part is wearing chocolate

New Shoes1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The the answer is simple: wear whatever your bride to be picks out with a smile. It's her day (her Mom's as well, but that's a whole another story) and you would not believe how stressed some brides to be and mothers get about every minor detail. The last thing you want is a huge fight about your tux, which is on central display as she walks down the aisle. The best advice I received when I got engaged was to have an opinion on everything (to show interest), but don't have too strong of an opinion on anything (especially regarding the ceremony details). State your opinion on what would look good for the tux, but don't make it a huge point of contention if your bride feels strongly about a chocolate bow tie. Besides, it'll give your kids and grandkids something to make fun of you about in a few decades.

Last edited:

Macallan9

Reaction score
If she has an opinion do what she wants.

If she's leaving it up to you, wear gray or navy.

Green, brown, and yellow sounds like a ******* disaster though.

acridsheep

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

The the answer is simple:  wear whatever your bride to be picks out with a smile.  It's her day (her Mom's as well, but that's a whole another story) and you would not believe how stressed some brides to be and mothers get about every minor detail.  The last thing you want is a huge fight about your tux, which is on central display as she walks down the aisle.  The best advice I received when I got engaged was to have an opinion on everything (to show interest), but don't have too strong of an opinion on anything (especially regarding the ceremony details).  State your opinion on what would look good for the tux, but don't make it a huge point of contention if your bride feels strongly about a chocolate bow tie.  Besides, it'll give your kids and grandkids something to make fun of you about in a few decades.

This is terrible advice, and representative of the kind of thinking that is almost singularly responsible for the dawn of the bridezilla era. The day belongs to both of you.

BTW, the fix is not to become a dick about what you want to wear, but to make sure she is flexible to compromise. If she isn't, I'd have grave concerns about the groom's long term happiness.

New Shoes1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This is terrible advice, and representative of the kind of thinking that is almost singularly responsible for the dawn of the bridezilla era. The day belongs to both of you.
BTW, the fix is not to become a dick about what you want to wear, but to make sure she is flexible to compromise. If she isn't, I'd have grave concerns about the groom's long term happiness.

Reread my advice. I said to offer your opinions, but not to get into huge fights over the tux or other ceremony details if your bride has a strong opinion on the subject. If his bride is fine with a different color bow tie, great. If she feels strongly that he needs to wear brown or it will ruin everything she is trying to achieve in the overall effect with the wedding party, etc., he should defer. He clearly does not have a strong opinion on that point, since he is here asking what others think. Getting married is stressful enough for a bride to be without you adding to her stress by fighting over small details. My wife was far from a bridezilla, but I still to this day have never seen her fight with her mother as much as she did in wedding planning. Don't be a dick and add to that stress by fighting over details that aren't worth it.

TheDroog

Reaction score
A brown vest would look pretty bad. Ashron, you can get what you want if you appeal to her vanity. The all black and white tuxedo is a classic look and you'll look great in your wedding photos 40-50 years later. On the other hand, a tuxedo with a brown vest will look strange on the big day and worse in the decades to come. If you can convince her that you'll both look better in your wedding photos with an all black and white ensemble, you're good to go.

Nikias

Reaction score

I agree with this. Perhaps I speak with the naiveté of the as-yet unmarried, but I would not be best pleased if my bride were to dictate exactly what I wore. A relationship is an partnership of equals, after all. Personally speaking, my girlfriend would just let me wear what I wanted (within reason) and, as far as I am concerned, she could also wear what she wanted.

acridsheep

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Reread my advice.  I said to offer your opinions, but not to get into huge fights over the tux or other ceremony details if your bride has a strong opinion on the subject.  If his bride is fine with a different color bow tie, great.  If she feels strongly that he needs to wear brown or it will ruin everything she is trying to achieve in the overall effect with the wedding party, etc., he should defer.  He clearly does not have a strong opinion on that point, since he is here asking what others think.  Getting married is stressful enough for a bride to be without you adding to her stress by fighting over small details.  My wife was far from a bridezilla, but I still to this day have never seen her fight with her mother as much as she did in wedding planning.  Don't be a dick and add to that stress by fighting over details that aren't worth it. 

You are wrong in pretty much everything you wrote in this post, too. Quit now.

P-K-L

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Nero e marrone - perfetto cafone.

+

The dress costs not enough $$$.

New Shoes1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You are wrong in pretty much everything you wrote in this post, too. Quit now.

So, he should fight over details for which he does not have strong opinions? He should not have empathy for how stressed out his bride will be with all the planning details? I stand corrected.

Are you married?

acridsheep

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
As I stated, the solution is not to be a dick about what he wears, but to convince her that she should lighten up - assuming, of course, that she feels really strongly about it, and that they should easily be able to come up with a compromise that they both feel good about.

My larger point is that it is not, in fact, her day. It is their day. His opinion matters as much as hers. Somehow American culture reinforces the false idea that weddings are all about what the bride wants, or, in your case, what the bride and her mother want, a thought so unimaginably terrible that I shudder even typing it.

ETA: No, I am not married.

Last edited:

Gibonius

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Reread my advice.  I said to offer your opinions, but not to get into huge fights over the tux or other ceremony details if your bride has a strong opinion on the subject.  If his bride is fine with a different color bow tie, great.  If she feels strongly that he needs to wear brown or it will ruin everything she is trying to achieve in the overall effect with the wedding party, etc., he should defer.  He clearly does not have a strong opinion on that point, since he is here asking what others think.  Getting married is stressful enough for a bride to be without you adding to her stress by fighting over small details.  My wife was far from a bridezilla, but I still to this day have never seen her fight with her mother as much as she did in wedding planning.  Don't be a dick and add to that stress by fighting over details that aren't worth it. 

Ironically wedding planning has gotten to be so stressful for brides precisely because of this absurd obsession with trivial details like coordinating the attire of everyone in the bridal party.

I was lucky enough that my wife farmed out the choice of the bridesmaid dresses to her bridesmaids and told me to have my guys show up "wearing clothes." I don't roll with the "her day" crap, and happened to marry someone who didn't try to indulge in that.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads