Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

What to wear for jury duty?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by stevejobs, Apr 2, 2008.

1. stevejobs

stevejobs Senior member

2. lee_44106

lee_44106 Senior member

conservative is always good, but really doesn't matter. Also depend on what the trial is about.

3. robin

robin Senior member

Do you want to get picked as a juror or dismissed?

4. teddieriley

teddieriley Senior member

jeans and shirt is fine. wear a suit if you're the defendant.

5. p.o.t.u.s

p.o.t.u.s Well-Known Member

I'm a DA. Wear clothes.

6. HomerJ

HomerJ Senior member

Do you want to get picked as a juror or dismissed?

Wear a miniskirt and high heels. [​IMG]

7. Douglas

Douglas Stupid ass member

You are under absolutely no obligation to dress well. In fact, the better you are dressed, the less likely it is that a defense lawyer will allow you to sit on his jury. If you want to be dismissed almost instantly after you are called, wear a full suit and try to look as much like a businessman as possible. If you want to serve on the jury, jeans and t-shirt will be fine.

Most people will be dressed like the normal slobs they always are.

8. WestIndianArchie

WestIndianArchie Senior member

I know attorneys that oddly enough get past voir dire (vooor dyer like we used to say in texas, Vhaw deer (ay?) like they say in the rest of the US).

If you want to get picked, dress casual and say nothing.

If you don't want to get picked, I'd say dress up...but you must say something, "like that guy looks guilty, or I don't think I'd be a good juror because my family member has been a victim of the crime at issue." This way you can be struck for cause and not per-emptory.

But if you're mad @ the justice system, for not convicting or wrongly convicting, by all means this is the one time you get to have a say.

9. stevejobs

stevejobs Senior member

I know attorneys that oddly enough get past voir dire (vooor dyer like we used to say in texas, Vhaw deer (ay?) like they say in the rest of the US).

If you want to get picked, dress casual and say nothing.

If you don't want to get picked, I'd say dress up...but you must say something, "like that guy looks guilty, or I don't think I'd be a good juror because my family member has been a victim of the crime at issue." This way you can be struck for cause and not per-emptory.

But if you're mad @ the justice system, for not convicting or wrongly convicting, by all means this is the one time you get to have a say.

To pick up your line of thought...isn't it easy as hell to get out of jury duty by flatly stating you cannot be fair and impartial?

10. brax

brax Senior member

I hate to sound too sober on my first post but I've been practicing law for over 15 years. Most lawyers put a lot of time and effort into their cases and the stakes are important to the clients. It is really unfair to everyone for a juror to have a secret agenda. I'd suggest that you dress as you would normaly dress for any semi-formal event and answer the voir dire questions honestly. You'd be a better person for your efforts.

11. Get Smart

Get Smart Don't Crink

most importantly bring an ipod and/or a good book since you'll just sit there all day and do nothing

12. LabelKing

LabelKing Senior member

I would wear a full suit and boutonniere. If it's in the city, I would wear my derby hat.

13. Brad

Brad Senior member

I hate to sound too sober on my first post but I've been practicing law for over 15 years. Most lawyers put a lot of time and effort into their cases and the stakes are important to the clients. It is really unfair to everyone for a juror to have a secret agenda. I'd suggest that you dress as you would normaly dress for any semi-formal event and answer the voir dire questions honestly. You'd be a better person for your efforts.

This is off topic, but I agree with this 100%. I clerked for a Federal Judge and he would always initially address the jury during voir dire with, and I paraphrase: "After military service, there is no greater service you can provide to your country than serving as a juror."

14. Mr T

Mr T Senior member

I don't have a derby. But I also have never been summoned for jury duty. If I am ever called I will wear cordovan so I can at least admire my own shoes while waiting.

15. johnapril

johnapril Senior member

You dress in khakis and a sweater and you fucking do your duty.