• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • LuxeSwap Auctions will be ending soon!

LuxeSwap is the original consignor for Styleforum, and has weekly auctions that show the diversity of our community, with hundreds lof starting at $0.99 every week, ending starting at 5:30 Eastern Time. Please take the time to check them out here. You may find something that fits your wardrobe exactly

Good luck!

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What suit to buy when visiting London?

Dior Homme

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I just joined this forum after checking it out for some time.

I have a little problem. I'm going to England in April and will be going to London as well and I'm thinking of buying a new suit in the range of £1000-1200. I currently own two Hugo Boss suits (from 2010-2011), one Burberry London (from summer 2013) and a Z Zegna (from spring 2007).

Earlier today I saw a list of the best suit brands and Z Zegna was in the same category as H&M. I cannot believe how anyone would ever compare those two since I also do have suits from H&M which are utterly crap. The Z Zegna suit, I have been using frequently for 5-6 years now and it still holding up. No bubbling as I have read other users mentioning.

So, back to the main concern. As said, I am looking to buy a new suit in the range of £1000-1200. I will not be staying in London but will be about an hour away or so. What I was thinking was that I'm in need of a new black suit. I'm short (5'3" ~ 160 cm) so I'm not sure what suits to get. My Z Zegna is size 44. So are my Boss suits and the Burberry one is size 46 (as is my trench coat and winter coat from Burberry). For my height I would say that I have broad shoulders. Not really slim but not on the larger side either and I'm planning on taking up the gym again soon.

Do you guys have any suggestions on where in London I should go? What brands to look for? Since I have been in London previously I know that some of the better brands (Burberry, Zegna, Canali and even Corneliani I think) have stores on Bond Street.

And also, does any of you know about the quality and price of Spencer Hart suits?

Hope you guys can help me.

Very much appreciated. Thank you in advance.

Sincerely,
MG

add911_11

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Spencer Hart, Richard James, Shorthditch in Selfridges are all something worth checking out. They have a nice cut for the petite gents.

Dior Homme

Reaction score
Why do you want a black suit?

The reason I'm looking for a black is that I have two navy suits (one two-piece and one three-piece) and two grey suits (in different material and different shades of grey) and my black suit is getting a bit worn out.

It's not set in stone getting a black suit. Of course I will get what I find looks best and especially what looks best on me.

Dior Homme

Reaction score
You are concerned with labels not quality.

Not really no. For me it just happen to have been that the more expensive the garment, the better the fit. For example (perhaps this is a bad comparison), if I go to H&M the XS is too tight and too long. The S is a little bit to loose for my taste and still too long. However, going to Burberry or Zegna I do find my sizes easily. The same goes for other more expensive brands. For me, it's about an evil necessity. I don't particularly like spending too much on clothes.

Why the judgement?

msulinski

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Where are you from? I'm asking because black suits are the norm in some places and not others.

Most people on this board are against black suits. What about a pattern or something in brown?

Dior Homme

Reaction score
Where are you from? I'm asking because black suits are the norm in some places and not others.

Most people on this board are against black suits. What about a pattern or something in brown?

I live in Sweden. Everyone here is wearing black or navy.

Not to be that kind of guy but when going to parties, clubs, work etc I'm usually the most well-dressed and known as the stylish one. I've been thinking about getting a patterned one. Maybe window pane check (light grey and blue) or a chocolate brown. Or maybe like dark green or burgundy.

But the point of the black one is to have one "basic". As said, when going to an interview here it's not customary to take suit that is not black. I tend to bend the rules anyway and go in navy and grey.

add911_11

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Thanks a lot. Do you know the quality of Spencer Hart and their prices?

I must admit their quality is not great and it is relatively expensive. However, a typical trendy youngster may find their cut appealing.

I think their price is pretty much similar to Paul Smith. I believe Richard James, Parda (by Belvest) and Dior Homme will possibly have the best construction and the best youngster vibe in their fit.

I will think you have to pay at least £1500 in order to get a fully canvassed suit from the above three brands.

Just don't buy D&G suits, they are not good.

Disclaimer: I am not a fan in trendy cuts and likes very classic style. However, I walked around London enough to know the general men's clothing brands (classic and streetwear). I do not claim to be an expert on RTW men's clothing.

Last edited:

Dior Homme

Reaction score
I must admit their quality is not great and it is relatively expensive. However, a typical trendy youngster may find their cut appealing.

I think their price is pretty much similar to Paul Smith. I believe Richard James, Parda (by Belvest) and Dior Homme will possibly have the best construction and the best youngster vibe in their fit.

I will think you have to pay at least £1500 in order to get a fully canvassed suit from the above three brands.

Just don't buy D&G suits, they are not good.

Disclaimer: I am not a fan in trendy cuts and likes very classic style. However, I walked around London enough to know the general men's clothing brands (classic and streetwear). I do not claim to be an expert on RTW men's clothing.

I'm more into the classic style. Although, since I am the size I am I have to get a more slim cut obviously. I'm not sure about Paul Smith. Tried on a jacket here in Sweden from their high-end line and the size 46 was waaay to small over the chest while the size 48 was waaay too long.

From what I've heard Dior Homme does indeed make really good suits but have never been able to try one on. Have you by any chance tried them on?

I would never in my mind think of getting a D&G suit. One thing I have learned since I got into clothing etc is that one should focus on the brand's main skill. What I mean is like for Burberry you should go to them to get your trench (or Aquasqutum). If you want to get a bag that is really well-made then Gucci or Louis Vuitton for example. Shoes, the original shoe manufacturers, e.g. Crocket & Jones, Gaziano & Girling...

Do you have any experience from Gieves & Hawkes regarding their quality? I mean stitching as well as fabrics. Went to their webpage and their prices were pretty reasonable. A double-breasted black jacket in 100% Super 110's Woolsuit for £495 and matching trousers for £200.

add911_11

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I'm more into the classic style. Although, since I am the size I am I have to get a more slim cut obviously. I'm not sure about Paul Smith. Tried on a jacket here in Sweden from their high-end line and the size 46 was waaay to small over the chest while the size 48 was waaay too long.

From what I've heard Dior Homme does indeed make really good suits but have never been able to try one on. Have you by any chance tried them on?

I would never in my mind think of getting a D&G suit. One thing I have learned since I got into clothing etc is that one should focus on the brand's main skill. What I mean is like for Burberry you should go to them to get your trench (or Aquasqutum). If you want to get a bag that is really well-made then Gucci or Louis Vuitton for example. Shoes, the original shoe manufacturers, e.g. Crocket & Jones, Gaziano & Girling...

Do you have any experience from Gieves & Hawkes regarding their quality? I mean stitching as well as fabrics. Went to their webpage and their prices were pretty reasonable. A double-breasted black jacket in 100% Super 110's Woolsuit for £495 and matching trousers for £200.

I worn a suit from them when I was requested by the bloom for his wedding a few years ago. It was decently made (machine full canvass, clean machine buttonholes, standard wool fabric) and looks pretty edge but in a good way. I sold it on eBay and luckily got pretty much most of my money back.

Traditional Savile Row RTW lines e.g. Richard Anderson, Gieves & Hawkes are slightly better made (e.g. hand-attached collar, hand made buttonholes, English horn buttons) but their size is not petite. I have and still wear my Richard Anderson DB blazer, I wear EU48R and I am 170 lbs and 6 foot ( Actually I should have brought EU50R instead for my slightly enhanced shape now)

Actually, if you want really good edgy stuff. Consider Ozwald Boateng, most 'street-wear' tailor shop in Savile Row. Alternatively, SIr Tomas Baker might be your cup of tea.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member