• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

(What) Should I wear this (with)?

Superb0bo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Unsure if a thread like this exist, but my idea is that most posters probably have some weird pieces they are unsure off in the closet. If you post pics of the said piece worn, the rest of the jolly crew can judge if, and if so with what the piece could be worn and styled.

I´ll start out.
Im usually pretty sure about my styling capabilities and taste, but I have this weird vest I cant get my head around. I picked it up thrifting, and felt it had a quirky japanese/americana/loftman/eg vibe, but sometimes I get more of an german knitting catalouge from the 80s vibe.

So:
VEST1B.jpg

VEST1C.jpg

VEST1.jpg

only fit I have worn it with
carhartt3a.jpg

Whats the verdict?

CDFS

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Nice colour combination, but don't take off the jacket. It shows the vest. Some uncalled for extra 'advice':
You (and I) need collars on our shirts, IMO
No irony. PS Can't get that spoiler thingy to work. Pretend you didn't read it if you did not want to.

Eason

Bicurious Racist
Reaction score
Han Solo that **** with a white shirt.

Lachy

Reaction score
I like the idea behind this thread, hopefully it gets some good use and helps folks out.

I get what you're saying about the vest, it looks pretty intriguing, but pairing it is a bit difficult. I like it in your fit pic, but it's kind of hidden away, which is probably how I'd wear, just giving a hint of it. It'd be awesome to get it right as the center of attention though.

Hmm, sorry, I'm not much help
frown.gif

JO3B

Reaction score
i tried making this thread sometime last year and it turned into god knows what.

i have a few winter peices i'm a little unsure of but unfortunatly i can't layer like you can this time of year so dressing is way easier.

Dedalus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Eason
Han Solo that **** with a white shirt.

+1

I'd maybe try charcoal twill pants or maybe black jeans. I dunno, just throwing ideas in there.

Superb0bo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
come on guys, post your weird stuff, this thread has potential. Styling police to the rescue!

West24

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i know everyone will say its amazing because its superbobo, but i dont like the look of the vest with the shirt, the vest is too small and looks bad with the shirt coming down so far. if the shirt was tucked it may look better.

timpoblete

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SuperBobo
VEST1B.jpg

Simplify the colors. The texture of the vest is what makes it unique, so you want to cut out the color so that the pattern stands out. Grey or black pants and white shirt is where I would start, as Dedalus and Eason have pointed out.

Superb0bo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^^Thanks, and I think you have a good point. One problem is that I own neither grey or black pants, or a white shirt
smile.gif
but since the vest is blue toned, I think a blue ocbd would work. I take all comments as a "yes, it could work", rather than "no, it looks like david hasselhof in Tyrol, ca 1986). West, I agree on the tuck. It isnt too small though, fits comfortably and decently long.

dfagdfsh

Professional Style Farmer
Reaction score
there's something awkward with the fit around the top button

Dedalus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SuperBobo
One problem is that I own neither grey or black pants, or a white shirt
smile.gif

wait what forum am i on

Eason

Bicurious Racist
Reaction score
oh, that superbobo! :fay:

tagutcow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Dedalus
wait what forum am i on

The "What would James Bond / Steve McQueen / Phinneas Gage / Michael Harris from 'Newhart' Wear?" forum, of course.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads