• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What shirts to wear with blazer?

phatty123

Reaction score
Hi everyone I am a bit confused on what shirts to wear with a blazer. I have a midnight J crew blazer and look for good shirts to wear under it. What are those shirts called that people wear at night with blazers... those look casual. Can you wear dress shirts under the blazer or would that not be good? My friend asks for recommendation in shirts for casual wear and i pointed out some shirts to him but he told me those are dress shirts and not casual shirts. I have this shirt in blue coast from banana republic http://cgi.ebay.com/NWT-Banana-Repub...QQcmdZViewItem It is not fitted and stretch so it is a bit loose. Is that okay to wear with a blazer? I did this before. I want to know about those night life shirts but what are they called? Those that can be worn without a blazer and with a blazer and they look good. I also wear jeans with black shoes with this outfit. Then i see this shirt http://cgi.ebay.com/NWT-98-BANANA-RE...QQcmdZViewItem It doesn't say dress shirt so woudl this be compatible when going out at night? Are you even suppose to wear dress shirts with blazers or are they called casual shirts? If these are not good, can anyone give me a link of some specific shirts I am talking about? Does it have to be a fitted or it can be stretched? Thanks.

drizzt3117

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I've posted a number of pictures of dress shirts with blazers in the last three days in WAYWN, ranging from soft casual button-ups to dress shirts. You can wear whatever you want underneath a blazer, from a T-shirt, to polo, to dress shirt, to tux shirt (if you really wanted to) but for a "nicer" look, a dress or casual/sport collared shirt may work best. This is a soft casual shirt. http://img394.imageshack.us/img394/5366/24jm2.jpg This is a dress shirt: http://img182.imageshack.us/img182/171/22yt4.jpg

phatty123

Reaction score
can you recommend me some name brand for both types of shirts? Are those 2 shirts i linked above okay and do they have all to be fitted rather than a bit loose?

drizzt3117

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by phatty123
can you recommend me some name brand for both types of shirts? Are those 2 shirts i linked above okay and do they have all to be fitted rather than a bit loose?

They don't have to be super fitted, but it's better if they are, especially if you ever intend to take the jacket off. If you're going to tuck them in, they can be a bit looser.

As far as brands, how much are you looking to spend?

phatty123

Reaction score
Well i just 1 or 2 of them. 80 is probably the maximum for 1 shirt but i prefer it to be in the 60 range. Do banana republic have any shirts that are good for it? What about J Crew? I buy from there a lot. Oh, i never tuck my shirt in with a blazer. Is that bad?

drizzt3117

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by phatty123
Well i just 1 or 2 of them. 80 is probably the maximum for 1 shirt but i prefer it to be in the 60 range. Do banana republic have any shirts that are good for it? What about J Crew? I buy from there a lot. Oh, i never tuck my shirt in with a blazer. Is that bad?

Banana Republic shirts are pretty low quality for the most part. J Crew shirts are better, but not especially slim fitting in any way. I would check out a Zara if there is one nearby. Not tucking in your shirt is only good if it's slim fit and cut short enough. If it's cut long and designed to be tucked in (like essentially all the shirts from BR and J. Crew) then it will look weird if you wear it untucked. Zara makes some shirts that are short enough to wear untucked, and if you don't have access to one, Express might have some. The 80s 2 ply shirts aren't horrendous.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads