• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What names to go with for Tuxedo?

Reaction score
Looking into buying first Tux....I've alwaysed rented for the ocassion. I wanted some insight on what names to look at and looking for amodern fit Tux. I want to top quality fabric, look, and style.

-Nathan

12345Michael54321

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm sure there are other options, but I've never felt any need to look beyond Brooks Bros. for a tuxedo.

Sander

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
AW: What names to go with for Tuxedo?

AI guess you mean makers? We'd need some more info like your budget, stature, stylistic preferences...

Reaction score
As for budget, I would like to keep it under 1k....Early 20s, lean frame, 5'10 155lbs.....wear 38 regular in suits. I like the modern fit, narrower lapels.

msulinski

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I suggest you forget about narrower lapels and go with a classic style. I never understood the appeal of narrow lapels.

12345Michael54321

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I suggest you forget about narrower lapels and go with a classic style.

While I agree that a modern fit, narrow lapel tuxedo is unlikely to remain in style for decades to come, NathanArmstrong states that he's in his early 20's. So there's every chance that by the time the current vogue for modern fit and narrow lapel has run its course and left such tuxedos looking hopelessly dated, his physique will have changed sufficiently that the tuxedo will have to be replaced anyway.

Not that every lean man in his early 20's is destined to grow obese, of course. Not at all. But relatively few 30-somethings have a body shape identical to what they had as lean 22 year olds.

Again, I didn't say "none have," so nobody feel compelled to offer an counter-example, okay?

jbarwick

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
When you say modern fit, I instantly think you should look for a European fit tuxedo and look from brands that are European based. I went YSL and it is pretty trim fit. The drawback is that it is notch lapel but I am sure you could look around and find a peak lapel. Myhabit.com seems to have a once weekly tuxedo sale which consists of European brands.

msulinski

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
With a budget of 1k, you could do Made to measure. Where are you located?

Reaction score
Would a black suit be considered proper attire to wear to a gala dinner instead of wearing a tux?

msulinski

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
How is the dress code specified on the invitation? I have been to gala dinners before where the dress code was business formal, which means no tuxedo.

12345Michael54321

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

It just states * formal attire required*

In that case, a gala, for which formal attire is required, does not mean you should show up in a suit. And the fact that the suit would be black does not matter.

Acquire (rent, buy, borrow, etc.) a tuxedo. Or stay home. Or accept that you will be showing up improperly dressed for the occasion. Those are your choices.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads