• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What kind of shirt collar is this?

sp220

Reaction score
Oh, right. I wasn't deliberately posting to provoke. I actually do like the shirt.

The world would be a lame place if we all had to look the same...

My avatar looks great. He doesn't do too bad considering he regularly sleeps with celebrities half his age.

Sander

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
To put it neutrally:
if you
a) like the collar worn by Travolta
b) think the guy in your avatar looks good
you obviously have a different asthetic then the one most people on this forum have.
Thus
you won't get helpful answers.

CunningSmeagol

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by sp220
Oh, right. I wasn't deliberately posting to provoke. I actually do like the shirt.

The world would be a lame place if we all had to look the same...

My avatar looks great. He doesn't do too bad considering he regularly sleeps with celebrities half his age.

Who is he? He does look great.

sp220

Reaction score
I wouldn't know what the common aesthetic would be on the forum, but I would hazard a guess that it probably tends towards the more classic/traditional styles.

The reason I differ is because such things don't pay off where I am, and they don't suit me. I am also NOT ALLOWED to wear a tie (not just a preference), due to safety in my job. Yet unlike those others that may work in a lab, I prefer not to cruise around in free tshirts pharmaceutical companies giveaway.

Hence my preference for a suit with an open collar like the avatar.

I was only asking about the collar Travolta has because it's unusual. I wouldn't actually wear it, because I wear no tie, more or less ever.

I prefer larger collars to make the shirt look more imposing, because I can't have a tie to achieve the same effect. So the collar has to make up for the loss....

sp220

Reaction score
Originally Posted by CunningSmeagol
Who is he? He does look great.

He is Julian Mcmahon.

In this picture he is Dr Christian Troy, a character he plays in the TV show "Nip/Tuck"

LexSenthur

Reaction score
They had something similar on the Grammaton dudes from Equilibrium. Wasn't even sure it was a collar until he unbuttoned it near the end.

sp220

Reaction score
I even have a pai of the shades
wink.gif

Arch Stanton

Reaction score
I think its called the "Goodfella" or more affectionately known as the Joe Pesci!

Sander

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by sp220
I wouldn't know what the common aesthetic would be on the forum, but I would hazard a guess that it probably tends towards the more classic/traditional styles.

The reason I differ is because such things don't pay off where I am, and they don't suit me. I am also NOT ALLOWED to wear a tie (not just a preference), due to safety in my job. Yet unlike those others that may work in a lab, I prefer not to cruise around in free tshirts pharmaceutical companies giveaway.

Hence my preference for a suit with an open collar like the avatar.

I was only asking about the collar Travolta has because it's unusual. I wouldn't actually wear it, because I wear no tie, more or less ever.

I prefer larger collars to make the shirt look more imposing, because I can't have a tie to achieve the same effect. So the collar has to make up for the loss....

What about a high button-down collar? Stands up best when you wear a suit and no tie.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Glennie is probably the only person here who could answer the question. I am not joking.

eric glennie

Reaction score
I invented this collar back in 1993 and patented this collar back in 1996. Sent this collar to various movie studio in 97'98 and got ripped off. Travolta looks terrific and distinctive in the collar , but the movie studio owes me $millions of dollars for copyright and patent infringement. Unfortunately with my financial situation , I would be lucky to park their cars let alone see them in court. The rules of engagement in business and fashion are all the same. Big fish swallow little fish, but I will rightfully claim back my own designs someday from all the knockoffs in the fashion world . Travolta looks great, but I would love to find the stylist for the movie so we can settle up and I get paid for my vision. For the shirt, I dont have a manufacturer yet but my ties will get us a step closer to the shirts someday.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 100 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 36 12.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads