• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What is the appropriate length for a pea coat?

monkeymoney

Reaction score
I walked into a store yesterday and tried on a pea coat. What exactly is the appropriate length for a pea coat?

I am a pretty lengthy person, so I always have trouble figuring out what the right length fit is. I was at the time dressed in my suit (of which the jacket I believe is the appropriate length because it was tailored). Putting on the pea coat over my suit jacket, the lengths were more or less the same, with the suit jacket just peaking out by a centimeter on the front.

I plan to wear the pea coat not with the suit, but with casual shirts and denim. Is it at the right length? From what I see online, some of the more fashion forward brands are going pretty short (as short as the hip). I don't see myself going that short. But, is being equal in length with my suit jacket the correct length for a pea coat meant to be worn casually and with denim?

Any suggestions will be much appreciated!

anginaprinzmetal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A navy peacoat should cover your butt. However, like everything else in fashion there are no absolute rights or wrongs. So as long as it fits ok and you like it ...

greyinla

Reaction score
But, is being equal in length with my suit jacket the correct length for a pea coat meant to be worn casually and with denim?
Typical peacoat might be an inch or two longer, but sounds about right. If you go to Sterlingwear's website, they have good size charts with lengths (taken from neckline seam, not BOC), so you can compare to a suit jacket in your size. That will give you a good ballpark for a classic fit, and you can adjust from there.

monkeymoney

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies! I thought it looked fine, but a friend who was with me commented that it was too short. Thus the confusion in my head.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads