• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What is a good sportcoat for business wear?

viator

Reaction score
My office, a large Manhattan law firm, is business casual. Men generally wear nice wool pants, nice shoes, and dress shirts. Wearing ties, sportcoats, and suits is seen as quite normal given some people like to dress nicer and there are constant client meetings and court appearances, as you would expect.

I would like to know what would be a good sport coat/blazer to wear in this environment? It seems some of the more "tweedy" or "country" fabrics look out of place in this environment. Right now I have 2 sport coats that I like very much and occasionally wear to work, either with or without ties. One is a 2 button navy sport coat with navy buttons and side vents. The other I got at Saks for $100. It is by Jack Victor and made of Loro Piana cashmere:

If I were to get a third coat, what should it be? I think a dark brown would add variety, but as mentioned above I worry about looking too much like a college professor (not that it's bad to look that way, it's just out of place in my office). I'd also prefer something that could be dressed up and down. Maybe a blue but with some sort of windowpane? A subtle herringbone might be nice as well. I should mention I am a fairly junior associate, so I don't want to get too crazy/flashy.

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by viator
I should mention I am a fairly junior associate, so I don't want to get too crazy/flashy.

I would look for threads by a Senior Member named mafoofan for ideas. While he is Senior here, he, too, is junior in the workplace. Searching on the word, "Nivea," will also get you to some of his posts.

- B

amplifiedheat

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I suppose the key is to stick to city-type coats. A gray herringbone was my first thought. I often see blue windowpanes done quite well. There's always hopsack. And camelhair or something like it is a standby.

I'm worried about your blue coat. It doesn't look like an orphaned suit jacket, does it?

viator

Reaction score
Originally Posted by amplifiedheat
I'm worried about your blue coat. It doesn't look like an orphaned suit jacket, does it?
Hmm, interesting question. Truth is, I don't really know. I went into Bloomingdales and asked them for a blue blazer. They showed me a Canali, which had ridiculous looking gold and black buttons with "Canali" written on them in big letters. Then they showed my one by some Boss label. It fit very nicely off the rack and was on sale. It never occurred to me that it might look like an orphaned suit jacket - the fabric has an interesting texture to it: very small squares.

viator

Reaction score
Originally Posted by voxsartoria
I would look for threads by a Senior Member named mafoofan for ideas. While he is Senior here, he, too, is junior in the workplace. Searching on the word, "Nivea," will also get you to some of his posts.

- B

Thanks, although I took a look and found some very interesting threads - he seems to be a controversial figure here. 5 pairs of the same exact shoes...

Originally Posted by furo
Go for tweed imo. It will give you some character in what seems to be a dreary environment
Fair point. Not sure I'd call the place dreary, but there's something to be said for a bit of individuality. Still, I want to see if I can work in brown/tweed/etc. without looking too "country" or college professor, as I mentioned in my OP.

aj_del

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by furo
Go for tweed imo. It will give you some character in what seems to be a dreary environment

I think furo is too much of a gentleman to pitch the SCs he is selling but he has a very good range of SCs which will work in a business environment for 400-550 USD. Check them out.

viator

Reaction score
Thanks, those are very nice, but I'm not in the market just yet. Still rounding out the shoes for now...

The Louche

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by viator
Thanks, although I took a look and found some very interesting threads - he seems to be a controversial figure here. 5 pairs of the same exact shoes...

Fair point. Not sure I'd call the place dreary, but there's something to be said for a bit of individuality. Still, I want to see if I can work in brown/tweed/etc. without looking too "country" or college professor, as I mentioned in my OP.

Its more than 5 pairs.

Also, make the next SC a brown colored houndstooth with an overcheck of some sort, likely blue.

cmorebusiness

Reaction score
What's wrong with having multiple pairs of the same shoe if you really like the model?? There are a pair of Ferragamos that I have in black and brown, and I could see myself owning 3 or 4 of each color with no problem. Although I do have other shoes, I wouldn't buy a different model for variation sake alone??

What about a navy or black blazer with silver buttons??? RLBL???

The Louche

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by cmorebusiness
What's wrong with having multiple pairs of the same shoe if you really like the model?? There are a pair of Ferragamos that I have in black and brown, and I could see myself owning 3 or 4 of each color with no problem. Although I do have other shoes, I wouldn't buy a different model for variation sake alone??

What about a navy or black blazer with silver buttons??? RLBL???

I would suggest he simply change the buttons on his current blue SC to a metallic variety; that would kill two birds with one stone cheaply. Still a good idea to have another SC all together, though.

Metlin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I work in a similar environment, minus the bloodsucking lawyers, of course. I'm a big fan of Brooks Brothers' sport coat & blazer collections. I would recommend tweed, or a simple houndstooth pattern.

Metlin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by The Louche
I would suggest he simply change the buttons on his current blue SC to a metallic variety; that would kill two birds with one stone cheaply. Still a good idea to have another SC all together, though.

Should it also convert into a suit? Like a Swiss Army one, perhaps?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads