• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What I have been up to since I disappeared

JamesT

Reaction score
It has been a while since I've been on Styleforum so I thought I would share what has been going on...

I'm no longer apprenticing with Chris (Despos) as I decided to move on. In early Spring of this year I started my own business doing custom work. Although it isn't clothing related, I still thought I would share it here:

http://www.bespokeautointerior.com/

I'm really curious to see what you guys think of my new project.

DNW

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You need better photos in your gallery. If those pics are representative of your work, I would never hire you.

JamesT

Reaction score
Originally Posted by DarkNWorn
You need better photos in your gallery. If those pics are representative of your work, I would never hire you.

I know. I have a few better photos, I just need to upload them. I've been focusing on the accessories lately. Also, this is my first attempt at designing a website so everything isn't exactly %100 yet.

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
JMO, so take it for what its worth. I worked for the late Adam Landolfi, and built this as my personal car:
P1010021.jpg
P1010134.jpg
P1010180.jpg
P1010146-1.jpg
I was never an interior guy, but I did engine building, chassis fab, and on my car....everything front to back, every nut and bolt, every piece of fab work down to the sub. connectors, the crossmembers, the fuel cell, battery box, shock mounts, everything. You need to work on quality, toss the gimicky stuff, like the contrast stitching. You dont want to work with people who want contrast stitching in the interior of their car. Finish up a sweeeeet interior, something you'd be impressed with if you didnt build it yourself, then go to car show after car after car show. You wont do **** online, but you'll make a big impression in your area if your work is sharp. Hand out business cards, talk to the car people. Thats how i got started in racing, I went to Englishtown met some people while building my car, raced it a bit, met alot of good people, finally ran into Adam Landolfi and his dad, showed him the car i built. He asked me to come work with him as a fabricator, then i started to meet alot of people. I worked for Jack Matyas and helped them set the B/FIA quick ET record, the A/FIA Quick ET record. While working with Adam we ran the Stock Eliminator circuit in the northeast with TWO cars, one Green 71' Chevelle 454 BB, and a 69' Camaro 396. Thats what really started to get me noticed. When you can afford it, have a professional website built for yourself.

Huntsman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
SG, you should post in the 'Cars we drive' thread as this would be total pwnage. Seriously awesome. Props.

~ H

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Huntsman
SG, you should post in the 'Cars we drive' thread as this would be total pwnage. Seriously awesome. Props.

~ H

+1. Those kind of wheels don't come around often and need to be shown off.

JamesT

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Huntsman

~ H

I think he has posted this before... Either way, it is amazing.

SG,

Thank you for the advice. Most of what you said is what I am aiming for. The online part is mainly set up to focus on the accessories (where the money is coming from for me to do everything else). When I'm not working on those, I'm getting my car ready to use for shows.

Believe me, I'm not focusing on gimmicky stuff. The contrast stitching was done more to showcase the seam edges on the door panels. I've been working with fabric suppliers in order to get good materials (alcantara etc.).

I'm not just an interior guy so I really understand how much work went into your car - that engine bay is fantastic!

gnatty8

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Sweet car Skinny, think I remember seeing those pics in another thread, but always like to see em'..

Cavalier

Reaction score
If you get better pictures, I might be convinced to get an e-brake cover + shift boot from you for my SI
smile.gif
possibly even a matching arm rest. any discounts for getting the trifecta?

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Thanks guys for the compliments! That car is doing wheelie's down under right now, I sold it in Nov. of 07'

Originally Posted by JamesT
I think he has posted this before... Either way, it is amazing.

SG,

Thank you for the advice. Most of what you said is what I am aiming for. The online part is mainly set up to focus on the accessories (where the money is coming from for me to do everything else). When I'm not working on those, I'm getting my car ready to use for shows.

Believe me, I'm not focusing on gimmicky stuff. The contrast stitching was done more to showcase the seam edges on the door panels. I've been working with fabric suppliers in order to get good materials (alcantara etc.).

I'm not just an interior guy so I really understand how much work went into your car - that engine bay is fantastic!

The best interiors I've seen are ones that copy the original, but with better materials. Replacing things like original vinyl with nice leather, suede, ect.

Your work can speak for itself without things like contrast stitching.

In my experience the money wasnt there unless you were the best, Guys who do average have to compete with everyone else on pricing.

Places like Circus paint, well they dont need to compete, they charge plenty, then charge some more just to get the demand down. ($20,000+ paint jobs).

There is a Niche market out there for a couple things when it comes to the interior:

-Seat covers for those Scat style seats for classic cars and hot rods

-Seat covers which work with the original seats for classics, and probably new cars as well. Made from nice materials. I reupholstered my seats with the factory original stuff, had there been a nice leather or suede replacement I would have strongly considered it.

-Replacement carpets that are nice quality.

This is stuff that would be easy to do with minimal equipment.

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
some of the cars i mentioned:

71' chevelle 454, A/SA (10.30's in the 1/4 mile)

Chevellestockergif.gif

here's mine on the track:

blaunch.jpg

I believe this one of my best passes going 11.17@117mph best 60ft was something like 1.42

JamesT

Reaction score
SG,

I completely understand what you are saying. Here is an example of some work I did that (I think) shows what you are referring to:

This is the stock boot after a short shifter was installed
stockboot.jpg

I was able to remake the pattern and style of the original boot (adjusting it for the shifter) and use better material.
newboot.jpg

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Nice, that's pretty sharp looking. Much better quality picture.

Thats easily much nicer then the OE.

JamesT

Reaction score
Originally Posted by SkinnyGoomba
Nice, that's pretty sharp looking. Much better quality picture.

Thats easily much nicer then the OE.

Thank you. Part of the problem is that I usually have to rely on other people to take pictures of items after they have been installed.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 36.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.8%

Forum statistics

Threads