• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What do I wear with shorts and a polo?

yleb33

Reaction score
def no socks with contrasting colored loafers or drivers....which should have been a tad obvious but hey

Ianiceman

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Too obvious and hence my suggestion. And bare ankles look pathetic on an unfortunate majority of men.

chicfric

Reaction score
For a casual look, wear air force 1's. If the chinos came with a crease when you bought them, yes you continue to iron the crease when need be.

Made in California

Reaction score
I don't always wear shorts, but when I do... I prefer loafers without socks.
dosequis.bmp

chuckseabreeze

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Ianiceman
No, n/a, yes, no, no. Do not under any circumstances get the most boring option of every white middle aged, middle income American in the summer time. No boat shoes, no baggy chino shorts, no bandy legs with skinny bare ankles. Get some adidas Stan Smiths and wear with short white socks. Make sure your shorts are tapered to fit the width of tour legs. Do not go bare ankled. There are loads of adidas Samba or Gazelle colourways if you want to match them up or show a bit of colour. Show some imagination and step out of the crowd.
Originally Posted by chrisb0109
I wouldn't call that stepping out of the crowd. Have you ever been to a high school?
Right? I don't see how white shoes and socks are a better alternative
facepalm.gif
I think if you are going to wear a polo and shorts, you've already said "f$#@ it" to looking good (to a certain point). You can only go two ways: full "f$#& it" and wear sandals or semi and wear bright suede colored driving loafers. I do the former because I have no money
frown.gif

dmac

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Frodo
This is a classic, but unconventional enough to get you up out of the Topsiders/Weejuns rut.

http://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/11575?feat=pprv

They are classic, but unfortunately pale in comparison to same shoes made back in the 80s.

Quoddy and Russell both make superior quality shoes of a similar style.

My wife just purchased some Sperry Fisherman sandals which are supremely comfortable.

Nicola

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by BareSolid
Do I get a pair of Sperry Topsiders, and in what colour is the most 'classic'? Are there other options? Are socks not allowed?
Also do I iron creases into chino shorts?

0025730C.JPG

An apron of course.

Frodo

Reaction score
Originally Posted by dmac
They are classic, but unfortunately pale in comparison to same shoes made back in the 80s.

Quoddy and Russell both make superior quality shoes of a similar style.

My wife just purchased some Sperry Fisherman sandals which are supremely comfortable.

Well, I was gonna buy a new pair - mine finally gave up last year. Cheap leather? Glued together now?

Oleg

Reaction score
According to many on here, you don't wear shorts period. You wear a three piece suit, complete with pocket square and buttonhole, an affected foppish demeanor and, presumably, the bruises you got from the righteous kicking you got on Saturday night for mincing around dressed like an extra from a the latest episode of Poirot.
Dunno why but I like my boatshoes in slightly conservative colours, otherwise driving shoes or loafers. And I don't know what goes on in the US of A, but if you wear socks and shorts anywhere outside a sporting arena, the rest of the planet will be pishing themselves laughing at you. If you're old enough to drink in bar without showing ID, then doubly so.

ChicagoRon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Frodo
Well, I was gonna buy a new pair - mine finally gave up last year. Cheap leather? Glued together now?
AE has some awesome boat shoes in their clearance sale right now - I think $160 - goodyear welted... I generally expect a pair of shoes I wear in the summer without socks to last one season, so I prefer the cheaper/glued-together myself, but...

xCoffee

Reaction score
Does anyone have specific loafers/shoes or specific belts that would be good examples?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads