• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What colour trousers with navy blazer?

BareSolid

Reaction score
OK I was thinking of getting a navy blazer and was wondering what trousers work best with a navy blazer and casual (i.e. S/M/L as opposed to 15.5 etc) shirts in the autumn.

I was thinking, for day-wear (chinos, rather than wool trousers)
- brown
- khaki
- stone
- dark green (dark olive?)
- grey

Am I missing any?

Thanks.

whiteslashasian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You forgot office pants.

happy.gif

I think you have the colors covered. If it's a pretty plain navy blazer have you thought about some kind of pattern such as a plaid, houndstooth, etc?

BareSolid

Reaction score
I have thought about patterns but they are not well accepted amongst my fellow students. I was however going to get a grey donegal jacket, which I thought might also be versatile in the autumn, and some sort of third jacket, but am very unsure what.

So, for the trousers, pleats or no pleats?

BareSolid

Reaction score
As for dark blue jeans, yes, I had thought of that.

I am wondering if anyone can recommend a specific brand and style of jeans (with a link to somehere I can buy them from - UK), as they are a smorgasbord of absolute rubbish most of the time.

Doc4

Reaction score
Stay away from black and blue (I am commenting on chinos or other trousers, not jeans ... I'll skip that subject.)

Also, for grey, be sure to get the right grey. You want something mid-to-lighter gray ... if it's too dark/charcoal, you end up with the same dissonance problems with black & blue.

JordanH.

Reaction score
Navy blue and almost any gray go together. I don't know why they look nearly perfect for each other. Just one of those things, I guess.

agavilanes

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JordanH.
Navy blue and almost any gray go together. I don't know why they look nearly perfect for each other. Just one of those things, I guess.

That's called "the security guard" look.

Originally Posted by voxsartoria
Manton wears matching navy pants with his.
- B

That's called "the suit" look

nahneun

Uncle Nephew
Reaction score
Whites? Cream? Plaid?

I think navy blue blazers and dark jeans do NOT go well together. I found black (i know, i know), white/cream, or gray blazers work better with jeans.

JordanH.

Reaction score
Originally Posted by agavilanes
That's called "the security guard" look.

That's called "the suit" look

But you can't say that this is not arguably the best combination for a blazer and trousers, though.
smile.gif

Pennywise the Clown

Reaction score
Originally Posted by BareSolid
As for dark blue jeans, yes, I had thought of that.

I am wondering if anyone can recommend a specific brand and style of jeans (with a link to somehere I can buy them from - UK), as they are a smorgasbord of absolute rubbish most of the time.

I have a nice pair of dark Ernest Sewn jeans which go very well with a navy jacket - I don't know if they are available in the UK. Rag and Bone is another good make as is ACNE. I bought a very nice pair of limited edition dark blue jeans last year from J Crew too. I think you can get away with quite a range here, but the darker the denim the smarter your ensemble will be. I wouldn't go with anything too faded in general - medium dark through dark is better. No boot-cut, drainpipe or 'relaxed' - go for a slim cut and make sure it goes with whatever shoes you have in mind - the trouser-break is critical when wearing jeans with smart shoes. Also, I'd stay away from anything with any unusual details like the deliberate creases some jeans come with and pre-ripped etc. I really think you can find good jeans in many places now without spending too much.

agavilanes

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JordanH.
But you can't say that this is not arguably the best combination for a blazer and trousers, though.
smile.gif

mmm... I think the consensus is that navy blazer + khaki trousers is the best combination...
fight[1].gif

BTW, I really like the security guard look.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Staff online

Forum statistics