• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What color tie would look great with this tweed jacket and shirt combo guys ?

Reaction score
iGMXQ6v.jpg

I will be wearing this for a formal function.

Cant really make out what color tie to get and also still undecided on the trouser color too.

So what do you guys think, what color tie would compliment and uplift the combo ?
Sky blue ?
Navy blue ?
Brown ?
Maroon ?

What say ...

Reaction score
i too was thinkin on the same lines.
maroon and burgundy .

thanks for the affirmation .

and what color trouser do you recommend to go along with ?

thanks for the help.

Reaction score
Again, that is too informal for a formal function.

I understand and can relate what you mean.

Although a formal occasion, but i am trying ( want ) to be on the borderlines of true formal and a true causal.
More like semi formal than semi informal.
If that makes sense !

Anachronist

Reaction score
Personally, I dont think the shirt fits to the jacket at all. Neither in its structure/pattern, nor color-wise... and I don't believe a burgundy tie will salvage this mismatch. You'd at least need a dark brown tie with pink stripes or a beige toe with burgundy and brown stripes to get these colors married and I'd recon these combinations are as rare as hens' teeth.

I also agree with Scelerat, the jacket is per se a casual/sportive one with the herringbone pattern. The lighter the trousers, the more the sportive look will be emphasized. Darker trousers will not make it formal, but will get you closer to an acceptable look for a formal occasion (assuming you're not going to the Queen's dinner).

Wear a light blue shirt (plain or with a brown over check if you like), then take a burgundy red tie with a light or dark blue and/or brown in it and pick up the red in a pocket square. Round it off with navy blue slacks and, if the weather is colder, with a cream thin sweater (similar in colour to the lighter tone in the herringbone of the jacket) and you're set to look smart casual in formal terms.

The tie in this combo can also be green or dark blue or whatever color you prefer as long as it contains either a shade close to the shirt color or the jacket's two colors and as long as you pick up the ties main color either in a pocket square or e.g. the trousers.

Reaction score
Personally, I dont think the shirt fits to the jacket at all. Neither in its structure/pattern, nor color-wise... and I don't believe a burgundy tie will salvage this mismatch. You'd at least need a dark brown tie with pink stripes or a beige toe with burgundy and brown stripes to get these colors married and I'd recon these combinations are as rare as hens' teeth.

I also agree with Scelerat, the jacket is per se a casual/sportive one with the herringbone pattern. The lighter the trousers, the more the sportive look will be emphasized. Darker trousers will not make it formal, but will get you closer to an acceptable look for a formal occasion (assuming you're not going to the Queen's dinner).

Wear a light blue shirt (plain or with a brown over check if you like), then take a burgundy red tie with a light or dark blue and/or brown in it and pick up the red in a pocket square. Round it off with navy blue slacks and, if the weather is colder, with a cream thin sweater (similar in colour to the lighter tone in the herringbone of the jacket) and you're set to look smart casual in formal terms.

The tie in this combo can also be green or dark blue or whatever color you prefer as long as it contains either a shade close to the shirt color or the jacket's two colors and as long as you pick up the ties main color either in a pocket square or e.g. the trousers.

Thats a really good suggestion.
Thanks man.

Never thought on these lines . Although green did cross my mind, but then i went for this 'safe-ish', shirt and burgundy tie combo.
But the blue and green as you say sure seems like a different and bold combo !

Hewes

Reaction score

Wear a light blue shirt (plain or with a brown over check if you like), then take a burgundy red tie with a light or dark
blue and/or brown in it and pick up the red in a pocket square. Round it off with navy blue slacks and, if the weather is colder, with a cream thin sweater (similar in colour to the lighter tone in the herringbone of the jacket) and you're set to look smart casual in formal terms.

I agree, I think a plain shirt (no pattern) is the way to go.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads